HDTV advice

My old tv just broke and Im looking to get my first HDTV . Sears has the Panasonic TH-42PX80U for $699 this week. The reviews seem great but I just want to make sure Im making a good investment. The tv will be about 9 feet away. Will this be a good viewing distance or is the screen to small? And will the 720p play a factor at this distance? Can anyone who actually has this tv tell me their thoughts?

[U][B]Panasonic TH-42PX80U Review[/B][/U]

[B]Link:[/B] http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-viera-th-42px80u/4505-6482_7-32887130.html

[U][B]Viewing Distance Calculator[/B][/U]

[B]Link: [/B]http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

:cool::cool:

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/

For a little more you can probably get the 1080p version and be somewhat future proof for a while. it will probably have more user controls and like that as well.
If you don’t really care about the latest resolutions as long as it’s HD, 720p looks great and is cheaper as you’ve found out.
They keep improving all types of sets and right now Pioneer makes the best looking Kuru plasmas with Panasonic probably being a close second. But Panasonic is saying they have new tech coming to their plasmas that may make them even better in the next model cycle, we’ll see.
Just depends on how long you want to wait for the next great thing, or if you just want a nice looking inexpensive set now that makes you happy.

I wouldn’t buy a plasma since all manufacturers except Panasonic are decreasing their production in favor for LCD (that includes Pioneer). Also keep in mind that PX80 is a rather old model by now and it doesn’t even have 16:10 or 16:9 resolution (1024x768). If I were you (and I guess you’re on a budget) I’d grab this one (which is better than D65).
http://www.shopdigitalonline.com/productdetail.asp?productid=1733
It’s a very nice TV and works well with tv broadcasts, gaming (4 ms), watching hi-res videos (BD etc) and for computers use.
You can find a bunch of reviews on Amazon and at AVSforum.com
//Danne

I wouldn’t get a plasma either. Just think about all those ancient laptops with LCD panels still functioning. Plasma TV’s are’nt as long legged as LCD TV’s. I used to fix TV’s and personally would never buy anything with the name Panasonic on it. I would look into LG or SONY, SHARP, SAMSUNG.

46 inch is good for 9-feet viewing distance and 720p has nothing to do with that. My only concern as DiizZy pointed out is lack of 16:9.

I have been looking for a big screen tv for 30 years. Finally I found one that has a picture equal to a tube tv with the same life span and viewing range. I bought a Pioneer PDP 5010FD. It has two cable inputs, four HDMI inputs, cable card slot, super video, component video, surround sound speakers and sub-woofer out. 1080P and upconversion. It has an NTSC, ATSC, and QAM tuner. I do not anticipate needing another tv for a very long time. My 27" RCA digital colortrak has been here since 1984 and is still perfect.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2194511]I wouldn’t get a plasma either. Just think about all those ancient laptops with LCD panels still functioning. Plasma TV’s are’nt as long legged as LCD TV’s. I used to fix TV’s and personally would never buy anything with the name Panasonic on it. I would look into LG or SONY, SHARP, SAMSUNG.[/QUOTE]
Fascinating anecdotal evidence. Unfortunately according to Consumers Reports reliability ratings Panasonic plasmas have proven to be the most reliable TVs [B]ever tested[/B]. In LCDs Sonys have almost 50% more problems reported.

I’ve logged over 20,000 hours in 4 years on my original 42" Pansonic EDTV in my smoke filled, dusty tavern. Looks exactly like the day I bought it and picture wise it put’s the newer Vizio LCDs (they were cheap though) to shame. Had to move the Pansonic to a back wall to minimize the head to head comparisons.

I like to watch my movies on Panasonic plasmas, the depth, the natural looking detailed blacks, no motion lag, reliabilty and extreme viewing angles that gloried computer screens can’t match make it a no brainer.

IK
PANASONICS are good T.V’S , but read the reviews and
check the settings. I own a couple of HDTV’S one a SAMSUNG
42’’ looks fantastic on both digital,and HD channels, and a
WESTINGHOUSE LCD HDTV 32’’. I also still have a SAMSUNG 32’'
CRT T.V.[ which still looks really good]. So my advice to you is
check the reviews on the HDTV you want to buy, and also ask
questions. Make sure the T.V. produces a good picture for the
digital channel’s too. Ask questions and,don’t be afraid to ask
if you can check the settings on the T.V. from the salesman.
In the end you will save yourself a lot of disapointment,and be happy
with your investment.
ZAP.:bigsmile::bow:

I’m going to go with Mystic Eyes – I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma EDTV and it looks amazing displaying 1080p with HDMI. It looks better than my true pixel by pixel 1080p LCD when viewing HDTV or DVD content, yet it’s resolution is a wimpy 852x480. Everyone that sees it says, “Boy, I need to get an HDTV” – ha.

It depends on what you want to do with your TV – get an LCD if you want to play games or use your computer. Get a plasma to watch DVD, Blu-Ray, or broadcast.

The only negative with plasma for video is burn in – if you don’t like smart stretch “just” mode, and you watch shows with black bars on the top or sides, they WILL burn in.

[QUOTE=Dalen Quaice;2238281]I’m going to go with Mystic Eyes – I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma EDTV and it looks amazing displaying 1080p with HDMI. It looks better than my true pixel by pixel 1080p LCD when viewing HDTV or DVD content, yet it’s resolution is a wimpy 852x480. Everyone that sees it says, “Boy, I need to get an HDTV” – ha.

It depends on what you want to do with your TV – get an LCD if you want to play games or use your computer. Get a plasma to watch DVD, Blu-Ray, or broadcast.

The only negative with plasma for video is burn in – if you don’t like smart stretch “just” mode, and you watch shows with black bars on the top or sides, they WILL burn in.[/QUOTE]

Burn-in ceased to be a problem a few years ago. It is the same as a CRT tv. You would have to freeze an image on the screen for a couple of days. They shut off automatically before that. Even VCR’s stopped freeze frame after a few minutes to prevent burn-in on old tv’s. Screen savers were invented specifically to prevent burn-in.

[QUOTE=Dalen Quaice;2238281]I’m going to go with Mystic Eyes – I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma EDTV and it looks amazing displaying 1080p with HDMI. It looks better than my true pixel by pixel 1080p LCD when viewing HDTV or DVD content, yet it’s resolution is a wimpy 852x480. Everyone that sees it says, “Boy, I need to get an HDTV” – ha.

The only negative with plasma for video is burn in – if you don’t like smart stretch “just” mode, and you watch shows with black bars on the top or sides, they WILL burn in.[/QUOTE]

Burn-in ceased to be a problem a few years ago. It is the same as a CRT tv. You would have to freeze an image on the screen for a couple of days. They shut off automatically before that. Even VCR’s stopped freeze frame after a few minutes to prevent burn-in on old tv’s. Screen savers were invented specifically to prevent burn-in.

Sorry, but I would have to disagree about burn-in. Page 18 of the manual for the brand new current series 11 Panasonic plasma, TH-42PH11UK, states: “Do not allow the picture to be displayed in 4:3 mode for an extended period as this can cause a permanent image retention to remain on the Plasma Display Panel.”

Plasmas burn in much more easily than CRTs.