HDRW720 replaced drive,now to program

vbimport

I have an HDRW 720/17 120G hard drive that has corrupted. It is out of warranty and Philips is being difficult supplying information. I have cloned the drive from another unit ( I have 3 others) and this partially worked. upon loading a disk it locked up and is giving a “Wait EXT01”. I have loaded the firmware disk in the drive after manually opening the dvd drive, powered the unit off and turned it back on still says the same infor and doesn’t appear to be loading the updated cd.
How do I reload the info on the hard drive? :confused:

There’s virtually nothing known publicly about the AV filing system on the HDRW72x series machines; not only the basic storage format but whether a copy of the firmware and EPG are also stored there. Going on how other HDD-based AV electronics work, a mis-match between firmware in flash and disk, or indeed anything, could result in an error.

Have you tried just blanking the HDD by attaching to a PC, wiping the boot sectors, and reconnecting to the HDRW720? It might auto-format on switch-on and install its background files.

Have you tried just blanking the HDD by attaching to a PC, wiping the boot sectors, and reconnecting to the HDRW720? It might auto-format on switch-on and install its background files.[/QUOTE]

Ok so progress here. I ran maxtors disk utility on the drive from a pc and got error D79E9977 which means send it back. It was still under warranty. I just got it back and will not auto-format. Even trying to load the new firmware disk does not help. I do however have another machine and can clone the drive. I think this is the next step.

let me know how this works out for you… i am very interested.

I’m not quite sure what you mean. Did you use the disk utility to try and blank the drive, after which you replaced the disk in the DVDR and then got the error message?

If you sent the whole DVDR back to Philips for repair under warranty, did it not return working again?

Any new updates on getting a new hard drive to work in a 720?

It seems all posts on HDRW720 hard disk problems are doomed to a fade to black response. No one returns to let you know exactly how they succeeded - or didn’t. All the messages I’ve read thus far about sorting out the hard drive on the HDRW720 seem to fizzle to nothing with no solution or without enough clarity to use the solution - shame!

I’m trying to reformat mine using the disk manager on windows vista - I’ll let you know how I get on when it’s done.

OK, not sure if this may help someone so I’m going to post it and you can check it out. Too late for me as my hard disk is now 80% reformated. BUT you might want to try this program which apparently can recover a disk from RAW (which is the ‘filetype’ showing up on my disk manager)
here is the link: from a company calledZero Assumtion Company (ZAR)
So you might like to try this before you reformat.