Hdmi

vbimport

I was DJing a Wedding Reception last night. The newlyweds had a Disc with Pictures & Music on it & they had a 32" LCD Flat screen. I had to run Audio out from my Mixer which is Composite/RCA conections for the Audio. My DVD player has only a Composite/RCA conection for the Video also. My question is would it had a better Quality Picture if my DVD player had a HDMI conection for the Video ?

midnightmike,

In theory, HDMI connected cables can transmit the highest quality video most large TV monitors can utilise (1080P - but so will some DVI, and component connections). I expect the 32 inch flatscreen was a TV rather than a very high end exotic monitor of some sort and it’s resolution would top out at 1080P.

However, it really all depends on the source files you were going to use, the screen’s capability, and the DVD Player =not just the cabling. All of them need to be at least 720P capable for HD Quality. If it’s a small file then better hardware won’t help. But if it’s a decent photo then if the rest of the system is capable, the photos would look superb.

I hope this is helpful.:cool:

[QUOTE=midnightmike;2515023] My DVD player has only a Composite/RCA conection for the Video also. My question is would it had a better Quality Picture if my DVD player had a HDMI conection for the Video ?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. For video, cable go in this order for quality: composite, s-video, component, dvi/hdmi (being the best). However you can get HD video from the component and wouldn’t be able to tell the difference on a 32" display. The difference between the composite and component/dvi/hdmi would be huge.

[QUOTE=midnightmike;2515023]I was DJing a Wedding Reception last night. The newlyweds had a Disc with Pictures & Music on it & they had a 32" LCD Flat screen. I had to run Audio out from my Mixer which is Composite/RCA conections for the Audio. My DVD player has only a Composite/RCA conection for the Video also. My question is would it had a better Quality Picture if my DVD player had a HDMI conection for the Video ?[/QUOTE]

It look noticeably better via an HDMI connect.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2515465]It look noticeably better via an HDMI connect.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

Actually I disagree. HDMI has no better picture than DVI or Component. The HDMI Standard was introduced primarily as a means of copyright protection => not improved resolution or picture quality. :iagree:

[QUOTE=Jim;2515520]Actually I disagree. HDMI has no better picture than DVI or Component. The HDMI Standard was introduced primarily as a means of copyright protection => not improved resolution or picture quality. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

DVI is a computer connection?

[QUOTE=midnightmike;2515666]DVI is a computer connection?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it was originally used only for a connection between computers and monitors but has migrated to TVs in recent times. Below is from the link that follows.

[B]WHAT IS DVI ?[/B]

DVI stands for ([B]D[/B])igital ([B]V[/B])ideo ([B]I[/B])nterface. DVI is a popular form of video interface technology made to maximize the quality of flat panel LCD monitors and modern video graphics cards. It was a replacement for the short-lived P&D Plug & Display standard, and a step up from the digital-only DFP format for older flat panels. DVI cables are very popular with video card manufacturers, and most cards nowadays include one or two DVI output ports.

](http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html)http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html[

I assume you are “DJing” using a Laptop (or two) as that seems common these days. If so, you could simply use the monitor output from it to connect to the TV (again if it has a DVI connection) after inserting the photo disk into the DVD player in the Laptop.

Would that work for you?

[QUOTE=Jim;2515520]Actually I disagree. HDMI has no better picture than DVI or Component. The HDMI Standard was introduced primarily as a means of copyright protection => not improved resolution or picture quality. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

The original poster asked if HDMI will give you a better picture then composite. I gave an answer.

He did not ask about other means. So I did not discuss it.

:cool::cool:

Actually the OP was asking about composite connection comparison and HDMI is way better than that. The difference will be very obvious. DVI & HDMI are the same video-wise, I thought I made that clear. Component is very good on smaller screens, as I said, and you probably can’t tell the difference under 40". However, component is not 1080[U][B]P[/B][/U] capable, so on a large screen will be inferior to the HDMI. It’s newer technology.

Thanks for the help!