HDMI Needed on Receiver?

vbimport

So im about to finally buy a new LCD tv with HDMI (obviously) and was wondering something tho… do i need to have a receiver that has hdmi capabilities or can you run directly from the tv to your dvd player for picture and then use coaxial for sound? this would obviously be temporary until i get a new receiver, but for the time being, would this even work? or is it pointless to have a hdmi connection with a receiver that accepts it as a passthru? thanks in advance

First let us know what type connection format you have on your receiver/ or DVD player?. Then we might be able to give a sound answer.

Yes, please let us know the type of connections as TCAS is asking?

Number of ?

HDMI
DVI

Coaxial
Optical
RCA

Component
S-Video
Composite

:cool::cool:

What is your intended setup … and what are you trying to do?
Please post specs about input & output ports for each device.

well, right now my receiver only has coax and optical for digi audio. my new dvd player has hdmi and coax outs. my tv has component but no hdmi… im planning on getting a new tv with hdmi soon, BUT do i need a hdmi receiver to even use it, or can i still run my coax audio to the reciever for sound and hdmi for vid separately? thanks

HDMI - This has both audio and video transported through the cable. ( #1)

DVI - Just video (#2)
Coaxial or Optical - Audio (#2)

Component - Just video (#3)
Coaxial or Optical - Audio (#3)

S-Video - Just video (#4)
Coaxial or Optical - Audio (#4)

Composite - Just video (#5)
RCA - Audio (#5)

I can only guess because you have not provided us with the actually number of connections each component has.

Right now, if your intentions are to just have a new T.V. and you want to use your current receiver then I would do this because your receiver does not have HDMI.

Your receiver should allow you to do choice number #3, You should be able to do this with your Digital Box or Satellite Box and a DvD Player.

Your new T.V. should easily accommodate what you need to do

This is one example:

Digital Box or Satellite Box ( Going from )

Use Component cables and run them to the T.V.
Use a Coaxial or Optical cable and run it to the receiver.
Use RCA jacks and run them to the T.V.

DvD Player ( Going from )

Use Component cables and run them to the T.V.
Use a Coaxial or Optical cable and run it to the receiver.
Use RCA jacks and run them to the T.V.

With this setup it will give you a choice, You can watch the T.V. and use the T.V.'s audio for sound without the receiver or you can use the receiver for sound and mute or turn of the T.V.'s audio.

I run the HDMI from my cable box to the TV for the video and an optical cable to my receiver and it works and sounds great. A coaxial cable should work fine too.
Hey, lookee me, I just broke a thousand posts. Do I get a prize?:bigsmile:

ok maybe i’m not making myself clear then… i already am using components, and coax, and optical, and rcas in my current setup… i know how to set all of that up and it works great…

BUT, im just not familiar with hdmi and how it works… so here is my question as best as i can put it…

if my new tv and dvd player has hdmi capabilities but my receiver doesnt, can i use an hdmi cable to run JUST video for my dvd player and a coax for the audio? Or does a hdmi cable HAVE to run both audio and video to work? does that make sense?

thanks

Yes you can run HDMI cables from both your Cable Box/SAT and DvD player to your T.V., then run optical or coaxial from the Cable Box/SAT and DvD player to your receiver for sound. If your intentions are to still have the RCA cables in the mix so that you can choose between just using the T.V. for sound or the receiver, make sure that you do not run them at the same time or you will get an echo effect.

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2146690]ok maybe i’m not making myself clear then… i already am using components, and coax, and optical, and rcas in my current setup… i know how to set all of that up and it works great…

BUT, im just not familiar with hdmi and how it works… so here is my question as best as i can put it…

if my new tv and dvd player has hdmi capabilities but my receiver doesnt, can i use an hdmi cable to run JUST video for my dvd player and a coax for the audio? Or does a hdmi cable HAVE to run both audio and video to work? does that make sense?

thanks[/QUOTE]
Yes. That is what I do. And I also run RCA cable so if I am watching, say, a court room drama with no fancy audio, I can watch it without the recevier and speakers on.

perfect… thanks for the help… i was hoping you were gonna say that…

Ricoman… since you are running yours this way, do you get the “echo” effect that platinumsword is talking about? or is yours ok sounding?

thanks again

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2147695]perfect… thanks for the help… i was hoping you were gonna say that…

Ricoman… since you are running yours this way, do you get the “echo” effect that platinumsword is talking about? or is yours ok sounding?

thanks again[/QUOTE]

No echo sound, though it is suggested that you turn off the tv speakers when using your receiver. However, I usually forget and don’t notice any echo. I’m guessing he doesn’t have his speakers calibrated or synchronized properly so that the sound is hitting him at slightly different times. Get something like the Avia disc, it not only calibrates the video but speakers too. You want to go thru each speaker separately and they should all be set so the loudness sounds the same from each, sub-woofer too.

It’s only a possible side effect.

I have no issues with an echo effect because I don’t have my setup that way.

I have one setup that way, from cable box to TV with HDMI and also from cable box to an old receiver via optical. This older receiver doesn’t have HDMI. When both sound are on (TV and Receiver), I hear echo. I have the AVIA disc but too lazy to calibrate. I set the TV volume to 0 and just use the receiver since most HD channels are 5.1 Dolby.

can you guys link me to what avia disc you are talking about… i have an older one but dont think its the same one you have… and i’ve seen a couple out there so i want to make sure i get the right one… thanks again for the help!

AVIA: http://www.ovationmultimedia.com/products.html
Digital Video Essential: http://www.videoessentials.com/products_main.php

[QUOTE=zaina;2148050]AVIA: http://www.ovationmultimedia.com/products.html
Digital Video Essential: http://www.videoessentials.com/products_main.php[/QUOTE]

so which discs do you have… or are the all the same, just different formats?
thanks

How serious are you about calibration?

Can you justify spending $40 to $100+ ?

If your really not serious, but want some basic calibration. Some movies that have the THX logo on them usually come with a THX optimizer. Which have the basic calibration tools for both video and audio.

[Video](http://www.thx.com/home/dvd/optimizer/video.html)         

[ul]
[li]Contrast/Picture Setup[/li][li]Brightness Setup[/li][li]Color & Tint Setup[/li][li]Monitor Performance[/li][li]Monitor Check (4:3 circle)[/li][li]Aspect Ratio Setup (16:9 circle)[/li][li]Final Test[/li][/ul]
Audio

[ul]
[li]Speaker Assignment[/li][li]Speaker Phase[/li][li]Subwoofer Crossover[/li][/ul]

Here is a list of some movies that have the THX optimizer.

Link: http://www.thx.com/home/dvd/search.html

Movies like Cars,The Incredibles and Toy Story have Advanced Test Patterns.

cool… i’ll definitely look into that. thanks again