HDMI Cables inside the wall?

vbimport

I’m going to be mounting my tv on the wall in my living room, and was if there were special cables needed for this? I’ve seen on a couple sites cables listed as “In Wall” type… does this matter? are they shielded more or is this just a ploy? i really dont want to drape my cables down the wall in front for all to see, but then again, i dont want to buy the wrong type of cables for inside a wall either… thanks in advance!

Maybe they do need extra shielding since they’ll be directly up against a power-carrying cable.

When fitting them, another important thing is that all the cables are inside a conduit to protect the sheathing from corrosive effects of cement/plaster.

I’ve moved this question to the HD area, where other members may have more direct experience. :slight_smile:

What version of HDMI do you want to run?

In a nutshell with out getting to specific the versions that you are seeing are Ver 1.3a category 2 which is a heavier gauge wire 24AWG, where as category 1 is 28AWG

If you are going a short run in the wall then I think you shouldn’t have any issues finding something from monoprice that is class 2 rated and the price wouldn’t be out to lunch and will serve your purpose well.

:cool::cool:

Look at this thread. It has lots to say about cables and their quality.
There are links to look at, which are interesting.
I think, bottom line, for long distance a good quality cable is necessary.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f149/expensive-hdtv-cable-really-better-than-cheap-one-239888/

Look at tests in a thread #9.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2160524]Look at this thread. It has lots to say about cables and their quality.
There are links to look at, which are interesting.
I think, bottom line, for long distance a good quality cable is necessary.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f149/expensive-hdtv-cable-really-better-than-cheap-one-239888/

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info!

ok, well, my “inside the wall” run would literally only be about 6ft or so… so should any cable work for that or should i try to stick with a Cat 2 type? thanks again for the advice

If you checked those sites, they all agree that for short (6’) run, almost any cable will do. Just do not buy really cheep, cheep stuff as it will have lousy shielding, specially if there are power wires close to it.

I’m not sure about what the “in the wall” represents on the marketing; most likely just a reason to charge more for the same cable by adding a sticker to the package.

That said, there are “plenum” rated cables that [U]are[/U] different. Not electrically; the outer insulation is different for fire code reasons. This comes into play in commercial installations where cable (primarily network) is run long distances in a relatively open-airspace area (like above suspended ceilings).

In your case, however, you’ll be OK with regular cable.

I would advise using a good quality cable, however, unless you want to rip the wall open in a few years to replace the cable.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2160629]If you checked those sites, they all agree that for short (6’) run, almost any cable will do. Just do [B]not buy really cheep[/B], cheep stuff as it will have lousy shielding, specially if there are power wires close to it.[/QUOTE]
I think you [B]can[/B] buy [B]really cheap[/B] (under $10) for 6’ cables.

Even cheaper.