HDMI Cables Brand Differences?

Hi,
I was just wondering if any HDMI cables were better than others. Such as
Brand, Regular Tipped, Gold Tipped, etc. Also does the lenght of the cable matter?

Once Again Thanks For The Help…

Nope, all pretty much equal. As long as it has the HDMI logo on it, you’re good. There’s also a cogent argument AGAINST gold plated connectors on any cable.

For extremely long cable runs, (>20’) there may be some advantage to a heavier cable, but that’s a different discussion.

Hi,
Everyplace advertises as the gold plateing being better ??

[quote=ofield;1949405]Hi,
Everyplace advertises as the gold plateing being better ??[/quote]
I have only seen slight difference in my Gold plated Monster Cables, all in all I think the argument is that gold is better, but not at a steeper price. Just my opinion.

I stated this in another post.

Monster cables are nice if you got money too burn.

Buying HDMI cables should be much simpler than analogue cables. Any HDMI cable will work with every audio video component, regardless of what version of HDMI the component offers.

With HDMI cables, there is no need for shielding since there is no interference within the cable. A thicker copper core will however allow a longer cable run. For runs longer than 5 meters ( 16.4 Feet ), a thicker cable is recommended because of inevitable signal attenuation. Signal boosters are available for transmitting a signal over longer distances.

Pay attention to the build quality of HDMI cables. Look for cables that have the HDMI logo on them. This means that the product has been tested at one of the HDMI authorized testing centers and meets the HDMI specification.

One other aspect to consider is the plug itself. While gold plated plugs are generally believed to be better, you should be careful. Although silver is a better conductor, gold platting reduces the likelihood of corrosion. The problem is that poorly made, inexpensive cables use poorly applied, thin coats of gold platting. The platting is susceptible to flaking or scratching off and in the end may provide a poor conduit for the signal.

In addition to this if you are finding that you need to carry a signal a greater distance then I would suggest that you look at fiber optical HDMI cables, they are a little more expensive ( Depending on the distance it can get quite expense) but the integrity of the signal data can be transmitted up to 395 ft without interference, No need for boosters and less bandwidth is needed.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=ofield;1949405]Hi,
Everyplace advertises as the gold plateing being better ??[/QUOTE]

Actually, gold is a poorer conductor than the typical alternatives. It originally got used in some applications because it does not corrode. As far as cables are concerned, it’s pure marketing hype. But I have seen studies showing that gold connectors actually conduct poorer than plain old nickel/chrome in some cases.

Thanks for the input and saveing me money.
Does that also apply to coax cables ex. I have a dvd burner vhs combo player with built
in tuner.

[QUOTE=ofield;1949649]Thanks for the input and saveing me money.
Does that also apply to coax cables ex. I have a dvd burner vhs combo player with built
in tuner.[/QUOTE]

Any true 75u coax is fine. As long as the connectors are solid.

Check monoprice, newegg, and firefold for prices.

Since you have error correction (and digital) you’ll either get picture, heavliy distorted/no at all.
//Danne

www.monoprice is among one top places to buy quality HDMI cable at very very cheap price.

you are not gonna see a big difference at all. Only if you are willing to pay several hundred dollars for an HDMI cable to get just a bit more vibrant and warmer color. And if you are that type of guy, then look into Nordost cable or Audioquest HDMI-3, they are around $300 each for 6’ long. Buying a monster cable is a waste of money, overpriced and cannot even beat the lowend audioquest that is half the price. But for daily usage, monoprice.com is your friend, make it your best friend when comes to cables

Hi all
An old thread but thought I’d have my say.
Theoretically, as HDMI is a digital format, my understanding is that it is either going to work (because it’s built properly) or it’s not going to work (because it’s flawed in its construction - or cut somewhere along the line). I also believe that length can be an issue. Can’t quite recall whether the standard’s max is 5 m or 10 m but basically really long runs may struggle.
Coax, on the other hand, not being digital can differ significantly depending on cable type, quality of the plugs and quite importantly, how the plugs are connected to the cable.
Cheers
M

[QUOTE=cybecom;1978134]Hi all
An old thread but thought I’d have my say.
Theoretically, as HDMI is a digital format, my understanding is that it is either going to work (because it’s built properly) or it’s not going to work (because it’s flawed in its construction - or cut somewhere along the line). I also believe that length can be an issue. Can’t quite recall whether the standard’s max is 5 m or 10 m but basically really long runs may struggle.
Coax, on the other hand, not being digital can differ significantly depending on cable type, quality of the plugs and quite importantly, how the plugs are connected to the cable.
Cheers
M[/QUOTE]

It’s theoretically possible to have a cable that cannot support the bandwidth needed for a particular input. So it’s possible that one could have issues beyond “it works or doesn’t work”, but very unlikely.

Yo-

Here’s a six foot one for $5.07 shipped @ Amazon.com-eh!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002L5R78/sr=8-1/qid=1200362999/ref=pd_cp_e_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1200362999&sr=8-1&pf_rd_p=250314601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000U62N1S&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1G8A3WEK9V602X0VVN7S

It is always good to buy a quality cable, but it should not be necessary to buy some overprices stuff with gold, diamonds and other gems. HDMI is a digital interface and bits and bytes wont be happier if you have a good quality cable with a fair price or a overpriced “deluxe” cable.
When the interface between DVD Player and TV was analog there was a great difference between high end calbes and normal stuff…

Are all HDMI cables upto 1080p compliant? or are there some that only conform to 720p or 1080i?

[QUOTE=pscdoc;1985014]Are all HDMI cables upto 1080p compliant? or are there some that only conform to 720p or 1080i?[/QUOTE]

Yes they are, but there are the differences.

:cool::cool:

Thank you for the clarification it is really appreciated. However, I think there are some very unscrupulous advertising practices that are going on with these cables and it just adds to the confusion.

[QUOTE=platinumsword;1985055]Yes they are, but there are the differences.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]
OT:
What’s up with the audio bandwidth numbers? If 1.3 is required for the HD audio bitstreams, it must offer higher bandwidth for audio, but the numbers are the same. Or is this for “core” audio only? Do the HD streams use added bitstreams that don’t fall into that number?