HDD vs. SDD -- which will win the storage wars?

vbimport

HDD vs. SDD – which will win the storage wars?.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/08/8A0dXh.jpg[/newsimage]A great tech battle is currently raging between traditional hard disk drives (HDD) and solid-state drives (SSD). Manufacturers constantly attempt to one-up each other, releasing great new products. Consumer electronics companies must then weigh their options carefully; both storage solutions offer pros and cons. Will one fare better than the other in a discerning marketplace?

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/hdd-vs-sdd-which-will-win-the-storage-wars-49793/](http://www.myce.com/news/hdd-vs-sdd-which-will-win-the-storage-wars-49793/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Until SSD pricing catches up with HDD, neither will win the battle, in that both will be continue to sell well until then. For example, I wouldn’t go back to HDD for running my OS off of, yet I wouldn’t go buying SSDs to store all my bulky photos & video footage on either.

Kind of like USB flash drives vs. external hard disks apart from speed. USB flash drives are robust and tiny, but like SSD have a high price per Gigabyte. Portable hard disks store a lot of data and have a low cost per Gigabyte. So even though there are probably a lot more USB flash drives sold than portable hard disks, there is still a good market for portable hard disks.

For laptops and netbooks, I think dual drive will eventually take over from HDD-only laptops, where a small form factor SSD will run the OS and applications and a regular 2.5" HDD will store the user data. However, SSD pricing will need to come down significantly even for this to happen, at least on all but entry level models.

Apples and oranges, neither one ever “wins”. SSD will never replace HDD for huge sized storage drives. When SSD in TB sizes can be bought for $100, then the picture changes.

Neither will win, they each have different purposes.

Its a bit of a silly article, which admittedly I have not read all of it.

But its like saying USB Pen Drives Vs Hard Drives which will win. They have different uses.

The only problem I have with HDD is the speed, which you get with SSD. But the major downsides to SSD is price and the fact that the memory is volatile. If they manage to lower the price and increase stability then SSD could win. Until then we will all most likely keep using both.

Both and neither. Hybrid drives will win the war.
Slow mechanical drives paired with small like amounts of super fast flash memory, and possibly a larger amount of slow flash memory, where the flash mirrors commonly accessed data.

SSD’s will like remain a niche or business product, until bulky PCs go the way of the dodo, replaced by tablets, wearable pcs, mobile phones, smart walls/tables/surfaces & etc, in which case, localized storage will go the way of the dodo, and everything will be clouded.

Large data farms will continue, or evolve, to use ssd’s for recent/common material, and hdd’s for bulk/off-line storage.