HDD swap out

[qanda]This thread is about the Western digital Scorpio Blue 250GB (SATA 3 Gb/s). Click here to see full specs[/qanda]My HDD recently crashed and is no longer being seen by the computer. I have a feeling that the read write heads have failed and I was thinking I might try to get a working HDD and swap out the disks but I’m not sure if that would do anything towards getting my data back. Does anyone have any advice?

Welcome to the forum.

Can the drive be seen in your system BIOS?
If it can with the correct ID string, then as you said the drive probably isn’t rotating.
If it can’t be seen then check the SATA power and data connectors, and also replace the SATA data connector. If it still doesn’t show in the BIOS, then it’s possibly the controller that has died.

In either case, there are many professional data recovery services available to recover the data from your drive. This has to be done in an absolutely clean environment, so don’t attempt this yourself by opening the drive.

Buy an external HD enclosure and insert that problem drive. Then connect it to a working PC and see if the HD starts and is recognized by the system. If so, transfer the data out.

Many PC shops can do this for a fee if you don’t want to buy the enclosure.