HDD problem, not enough space but I have 150GB free!

today i tryed to copy a disk and on every prorgram it says i dont have enogh disk space! i got 150 gig left on my hd so why dose it keep telling me i dont have enough disk space!!! i tryed loads of progs: nero, alchol and so on and it says the same thing in them all! its as though it cant make images any more!!! please can some 1 help! :a

Blow out *.tmp and *.dmp files, defrag the drive, reboot…

How many hdd do you have?
In My Computer, type %temp%
Where does it shows? for example C:\documents and settings\bla bla
Check the freespace in drive C:
Run Disk Cleanup (under Accessories - System Tools) in drive C:
If you feel comfortable, also manually delete all files in your %temp% folders and sub folders.

Sometimes you get this in Win9x (FAT32) systems when there’s minor corruption of the FAT table that causes the freespace to be reported incorrectly. If you are running Win9X, run SCANDISK on the affected drive.

today i tryed to copy a disk and on every prorgram it says i dont have enogh disk space! i got 150 gig left on my hd so why dose it keep telling me i dont have enough disk space!!! i tryed loads of progs: nero, alchol and so on and it says the same thing in them all! its as though it cant make images any more!!! please can some 1 help!

If you have NORTON’S PROTECTIVE RECYCLE BIN on your pc disable it by using this guide:
http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/ba62122e5d142a6588256d87006b22be/bb1a4d0a3a0b326285256e24004e250f?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
Apparently although you delete files the NORTON’s PROTECTIVE RECYCLE BIN will store those deleted files in the RECYCLE BIN. Follow the guide and you should be fine.

i have no norton and my file system is ntfs! but were do i find these %temp% files?
i have try moveing the image file to my second partition which has 90 gig of space and i still get the same problem?
i dont think its my hd because a new samsung that i got not to long ago?
thanks for help so far but any more sugestions?
ohh +my cd drive and hd are both at udma 2? which seems strange?

You need to separate your CD Drive and HDD. If you put them in the same IDE channel, your HDD will be stuck at udma2 as you said.

If you cannot see the temp folder when you type %temp% in My Computer, there’s another way to find out where is your temp folder: Control Panel - System - Advance - Environment Variables.
In the User variables both TEMP and TMP is your user temp folder.
Also check the folder in System Variables’ TEMP and TMP value.

i have both separate, done the temp thing still nothing? its weird>???

Does your HDD now UDMA5 or 6?

Where is your temp/tmp folders, is it in C, D, or in other partition? The point is, you need to have enough space in that drive.

Did you check for errors lately? Right click drive C - Properties - Tools - Error Checking.

I’m almost running out of ideas.

I’m quite sure that your HD jumper setting is not correct, make sure you do not use cable select & double check your BIOS setting.

thebarraster, I moved your thread from the Plextor Forum and edited your description so it’s more clear what it’s about.

Free space can sometimes be an issue on NTFS file systems too; running a CHKDSK C: /f from a command prompt, then rebooting may help this.

Have you tried copying a different disk to make sure there’s not something about that particular disk? Maybe reporting an incorrect disk size?

In “My Computer”, Right click the offending disc/partition/drive->Properties->Disk Cleanup Wizard

If it doesn’t works same process, except scandisk, rather than Disk cleanup wizard.

Still doesn’t work?

Is there anything else on the disc?
If not, reformat it :wink:

If so, compress all the files on the partition -> another partition or burn onto DVD. Format the partition -> unzip the files back to the partition :wink:

Yo-

I would Defragment my drive - sounds like you have enough space - but no space that is large enough to copy the file to-

With any decent usage - you should defrag every week or two - ESPECIALLY if you burn alot-

Mike

Fragments shouldn’t matter.
The only time when fragmentation is an issue is when creating swap files.

Do you have any aspi managers installed?
Check to ensure they are the lastest.

Technically every HD request goes through an (ataspi) aspi layer. If adaptecs aspi layer is installed incorrectly, it somehow manages to screw over the entire system and gives nice little issues like this.

Yo debro-

Thanks for your thoughts - however I have found that if I throw that rare coaster - defrag the target drive - and retry that I get a good burn-

I think that tossing around 9gb of TS files requires a conditioned drive (at least it doesn’t hurt)- IMHO-

Mike

:iagree: HD’s should always be defragged at least every month for a good clean contiguous sections…but don’t think that’s the problem.