HDD Partitioning

vbimport

"Drive Converter (FAT32)"
Is the above option the thing which partitions your HDD?

I would like some more information on partitioning HDD's. Can someone plz provied some links or explain to me what it id , the benefits and disadvantages.

This is what i think it is: A partitined HDD is when you split the HDD into different sections, and windows treats this as having lots of different HDD's. The advantage is especially present if burn cd's, cos you can have a PArtitioned part of the HDD for the image files, so it helps with managing the data 'clusters' when to or not to defragment ie: you can defrag the data partition but leave the image patitions 'cos you are always going to be deleting and recreating image files for burning.
Is this a correct understaing?
Cheers >.

I will not get into specifics, since the the information you need can be easily found, and I can’t remember it in detail…

I am not sure where you found “Drive Converter (FAT32)”, but I would assume that this is utility that converts FAT16 to FAT32, FAT stands for file allocation table, and was used to convert the storage byte size of your hard disk around the time Windows 95 went from the A to the B version, atleast as I recall. We are talking old stuff here, har har… All of the newer OS use FAT32 now.

If your lucky enough, you still have the floppy disk that came with your hard drive, those usually have utilities that make partitioning the disk very easy and simple, W-D hard drives have a real nice partioning utility.

If you don’t have the disk, you can partition your hard drive using DOS, I believe the command is “fdisk”, but don’t hold me to that, it has been a long time since I used DOS in any detail… Dig through your old computer books and find the DOS manual, it should give you the info you need…

… converts the file system, eg converts FAT16 to FAT32 or FAT32 to NTFS. It does not change the partitions. Fdisk does that but in the meantime it erases all information in the partitions it messes with. You are better off using Partition Magic for partitioning. With it you can work with all file systems, MS as well as Unixoids, and you can do practically whatever you want with them (create, split, merge, resize, you name it) without losing data.

It does convert from Fat16 to Fat32. Fat32 uses less space than fat16 because of the cluster size.

NTFS is for WindowsNt, Windows2000 and WindowsXP

Drive Converter I thinnk comes with windows98.
Partiton magic is good also. I used to have the separate partition for burning at one time.

And yes you are almost correct when you say that windows treats it as another drive, becasue it assigns it a drive letter.
Some of the benefits can be good.
The way the fat16 fat 32 blah blah work is this. There are so many clusters and when you install software it puts in those clusters. Lets say if you have a 100 meg harddrive or parttion.
And you install 49.6 megs on there. You see the 49.6 megs as one thing and the computer sees that there are 3 million clusters(I know that is inaccurate, but this is an example) The 49.6 megs fits into about 2 million and something clusters. Well lets say that the 2 million clusters use up so many kilobytes of space,
and your 49.6 megs doesnt seem like a lot, but if you have 32 k and 32 k there, eventaully its gonna fragment after running and be all over the place. The waste of space is amazing.

I hope this helps

thanks, but i am a little bit lost. is there a link to a page whjere it explains all this to complete idiots?? :cop:

i know there is a massive PC FAQ somewhere but i forgot the page and didn’t add it to my fav.

so basically the main benefit of a partitioned HDD is saving of Space?

There is no absolute need to partition a hard disk. However, if you want to for whatever reason, it can be easily and very intuitively done with Partition Magic. No tutorial is needed.

One good reason to partition is to make one’s data safer. Most of the times a computer crash is software- rather than hardware-related, and in the vast majority of these times it is the Operating System that will crash. In such a case one would like to keep data, especially personal and work data which can be invaluable AND unrecoverable, in a partition separate from the one the Operating System is installed in. This way one can even format the OS-carrying partition if need be, and still lose absolutely nothing.

to explain fat32 as compared to fat16

fat 16 uses bigger cluster sizes, as stated before. a file that needed 1 kb to exist might use 8 kb (im guessing) to store itself. with fat 32, it now uses 4 kb. that cuts down on the actual space your files use. could be a big deal, depending on how many small files you have.

partitioning hard drives lose you space, i believe.

posted by shuebhussain

thanks, but i am a little bit lost. is there a link to a page whjere it explains all this to complete idiots??

hi all,

The only reason i would partition a hdd is to install another operating system (but i own many drives so would never do it).

FAT or FAT16 as it’s known is a waste of space dont use it. the easiest way to explain it is | | | | |<these are ur clusters on hdd each hold 8 kb(say)if you write say 25kb to these clusters it would look something like this these are full>|::|::|::|: |<this is not and windows will not fill it up either so it wastes space.

FAT32 divides this space up even smaller so these clusters can hold more data.

NTFS divides them up the smallest 4kb in size so there is practically no wasted space at all.

I hope this explained it for you ok

@shuebhussain

take a look here :
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagicpro/

I used to split w this prog :wink: