HDD Not Spinning

well yesterday, i was trying to connect a HDD of friend of mine to my pc, and i already have 2 HDD’s installed, so to do so i had to plug to drives in one data cable, so anyways, i had both my cables ruined and only one working slot in both of them, so i asked her to get a data cable with her, and what she actually did is that she brought me 3 old cables of hers and all the 3 of them werent working, well i tried plugging all the 3 cables one at a time and tried connecting the HDD but it didnt work on any, so when i got fed up i tried connecting it to my old cable that had one slot working, and didnt read up in the boot screen, tried plugging it everywhere till i realized HDD is not spinning, i dont feel any movement or any thing coming out of it, i thought it was a power cable problem so i tried all of them, and unfortunately they work out great with anything except that drive, so is there anything that i can do or should i get it going to an expert, and actually if i get it to an expert would there be any hope to repair it or would i have to go to data recovery experts who cost a fortune, or is there just something that i need to manually change, something like a motor or board in case the hdd circuits got jammed for instance, oh and btw i read about an article about the same problem with some, and heard about trying to twist it horizontally, it didnt work for me but i actually could hear a slight noise as if the discs are spinning when i twist it…

anyways thx in advance, and hope there could be a way to save it coz i’ve got loads of work and most importantly loads of mp3’s that are going to be pain in the a** to get back…^^

well odds are that drive is just DEAD. so the data is pretty much history.

as for getting the data back that probably aint going to happen unless you pay alot through some data recovery place etc etc.

not to be mean or anything… but your best bet from now on is to “backup” your important data on a regular basis… NO ONE seems to do this until it’s to late.

so get a dvd burner and backup data from now on to that or get another hard drive and use that… this way u got two copies of that data and the odds of both of them failing at the same time are pretty slim… although me personally even though the 2 hard drive idea is good i would still strongly recommend u burn to “quality” (Verbatim/TY) dvd’s just in case… it all depends on how imporatant the data is to you.

cause stuff i would not be happy at all about losing i usually have atleast 1-2copies of. either on discs or hdd.

p.s. i probably just wasted my time saying this since this post is 3weeks old. lol

I took a “stuffed up” non-spinning hard-drive out once and put it into another new external enclosure…I was able to recover most of the data. You could try it…might also work for you.

There are several tricks you can try, since you have nothing to lose. One is to put the drive in a plastic bag and put in the freezer for 30 minutes or so, then see if it will spin up while still cold. Also go here http://www.hddrecovery.com.au/downloads/200ways.pdf

[QUOTE=bluestreak;1930301]There are several tricks you can try, since you have nothing to lose. One is to put the drive in a plastic bag and put in the freezer for 30 minutes or so, then see if it will spin up while still cold. Also go here http://www.hddrecovery.com.au/downloads/200ways.pdf[/QUOTE]

Nice, thanks for sharing this :flower: