HDD making wierd noise!

vbimport

My HDD is making a high pich wiering noice. It starts and stops every couple of secounds. However it could be the fan. HELP!

Try to isolate the sound. Which fan is the one you suspect? The cpu fan or a case fan? If it is a case fan, temporarily unplug it and then start the computer…DON’T do that with the cpu fan however.

Hard drives aren’t totally silent (except SSD’s), but I have to assume this is a new sound that has you worried. Unusual sounds from hard drives are never a good sign, so back up data now if you isolate the sound and find it coming from the drive.

By the way, there are free versions of Acronis True Image Home 2009 from various hard drive manufacturers if you want to make an image of your current installation and put it on another hard drive.

Western Digital

Maxtor MaxBlast 5

Seagate Disc Wizard

If you happen to have a hard drive made by one of those manufacturers, you can use that program to backup.

If not, you can try the free copy of Macrium Reflect: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

The fan on my graphics card screeches for a while when I first urn the computer on, this is the second fan I have fitted as well.

[QUOTE=vlad4242;2460406]My HDD is making a high pich wiering noice. It starts and stops every couple of secounds. However it could be the fan. HELP![/QUOTE]

How many fans do you have inside your computer besides the motherboards fans that cools its’ components and the cpu fan? A high pitch sound is usually a fan problem now if you start hearing clicks and clicks that is usually a sign of a HDD problem and time for you save your important data and purchase a new HDD to replace the dying HDD. Cause you will never know when it will go when it starts to making clicking noise. A good test also would be to discount the case cooling fan or exhaust fan and see if the noise goes away-if it does then connect each of those fan at different times and turn the computer back on and see which one of those fan is making the noise. Since we don’t have you computer specs and what kinda CPU or GPU or computer model or motherboard or what you have inside the computer it’s hard to determine what is causing your noise as well. So a spec sheet of what’s inside would help to know what is going on??