Hdd install on Asus P4PE ATA on board

vbimport

Asus Socket 478 P4PE Intel 845PE chipset
PDC20376 RAID controller

MB manual states: This connector supports either Raid 0 or Raid 1 configuration through the onboard Promise PDC20376 controller. You can use the Raid feature to set up a disk array configuration and to support additional IDE devices.

I dont want to array, strip or mirror, ALL I want to use the controller is to add an extra 120 gig hdd for additional storage. Ive installed the drivers for the Raid controller, rebooted, installed the hdd. The Device Manager shows it as: SCSI Disk Device, the Disk Management does not show it at all.

Can you help? :confused: PLSSSSSSS! :bow:

Bella

So what you are saying is it doent show in Disk Manager right??
Try seeing if there is a option the bios to change to scsi and see if its there…

That is a SATA connection right?? Did it come with a parallel to SATa connector??

Your manual says, that if you only hook up 1 HDD to your PATA-connector the motherboard will NOT use it as if it was a RAID arrey. (Default)
However your HDD must be set as Master or it won’t be recognized! (maybe that’s the problem)

Do you use the SATA controller?

No I am not using SATAs, yes it does have SATAs, I am using the Promise PRI Raid controller on board, not for RAID arrays (Striping or Mirror) just to use another hdd as an additional storage device.

And trust me, I searched before I posted here and read everything i could find, everyone was talking about setting up arrays which i do not need for now. :stuck_out_tongue:

As a matter of fact, the pins on the WD hdd are(were) set to master. But, what i discovered was that it needs to be set to Cable Select. I rebooted, went to Ctrl+F, Auto Config, it set it to default Array 1, Performance (Stripe), etc. nothing. I was out of my mind by then, and rebooted again, i missed the control F twice as my children decided to interrupt me several times, and after i rebooted 3 times (by accident) it finally recognized the hdd. Figure that one out.

Thanks for your attempt to help.

Originally posted by Belladona
And trust me, I searched before I posted here and read everything i could find, everyone was talkinga bout setting up arrays which i do not need for now. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not saying you didn’t! :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, is the HDD set as master? That seems te be essential for a HDD to work at that connector.

well yeah!

points up to previous message!

:stuck_out_tongue:

So is it working now or not?