HDD compatibility with DVP5982

vbimport

I own DVP5982 and want to purchase a external HDD, I was looking at the Western Digital My Book Essential 2.0 WDH1U3200N and was wondering before I purchase this, is it compatible? I have a few flash drives and only one is compatible, I don’t want to waste money on something that isn’t compatible.
Does anyone have knowledge about this drive and DVD plaer?

Thanks.

For the newer Philips DVD players, most mass storage devices are accepted as long as they are formatted to FAT16 or FAT32. Your proposed drive is a 320 GB so should be all right if formatted to FAT32.

In the manual it states that the DVP5982 will only recognise a limited number of folders and files, so look at that in case it would be a problem.

Playback could raise some issues because it doesn’t say whether the player’s USB socket is USB 2.0 or 1.1. The latter would probably be OK for XviD/DivX files but MPEG2 might not work properly.

Supposedly only the newest dvp5992 has actual usb 2.0 and its not out yet. The 5990 is but its also 1.1 My dvp642 died so I’m waiting on the 5992 and using daughters 642

I can’t wait for this. I’m using the 5982, I love it but want WMV support.

I am using an Acomdata SATA/PATA compatable enclosure with a 120 GB seagate barracuda 7200 RPM and it works seamlessly with my DVP5982… The fun part was finding a program that would convert it to FAT32 … But we did it…

[QUOTE=soulmanathome;2070012]I am using an Acomdata SATA/PATA compatable enclosure with a 120 GB seagate barracuda 7200 RPM and it works seamlessly with my DVP5982… The fun part was finding a program that would convert it to FAT32 … But we did it…[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not I formatted my WD My Book with the disk manager in Windows and has worked flawlessly, i use it pretty much everyday.

Nothing in Vista Home Premium would work for me so a member here went to seagate and found a download to convert it for free… Vista does not like to deal with FAt32 at all …from the experience we had anyways.

[QUOTE=soulmanathome;2070019]Nothing in Vista Home Premium would work for me so a member here went to seagate and found a download to convert it for free… Vista does not like to deal with FAt32 at all …from the experience we had anyways.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t even think of Vista, sorry, I’m using XP, I just assumed you were too.

Ya Vista will leave you stranded LOL
I don’t know how or even if a USB 2.0 will make any diff… it runs great the way it is … my sound is great … pic quality great … retrieval time is great …can’t see what USB 2.0 could improve?

That’s why I never made the upgrade, I’m happy with the way everything is now.

Yea I don’t get it either. Everyone says it has problems playing Mpeg-2 but never had any problems whatsoever. the only thing I want the 5992 for is the WMV support.

Hey, did you ever that problem where the player if you have it hooked up to HDMI for audio+video and sometimes the audio goes out and you have to go into the menu and switch it back on?