HDD breakthrough could quintuple storage capacity

vbimport

I just posted the article HDD breakthrough could quintuple storage capacity.

A new method of writing data on hard disk drives could yield significant boosts in storage per square inch.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/hdd-breakthrough-could-quintuple-storage-capacity-29565/](http://www.myce.com/news/hdd-breakthrough-could-quintuple-storage-capacity-29565/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

thanks for the News JaredNewman :slight_smile:
I read somewhere 3TB HDD this year 4TB HDD Next year ( Hitachi / 2011 ) ???
I need it

Isn’t this getting a bit late in the piece?? Why not put the development money into SS Drives and bring the price of those down…

Yeah, this is a last gasp by the hard drive manufacturers to flog their outdated technology.

SSDs is where the focus should be.

[QUOTE=BitRate;2517219]SSDs is where the focus should be.[/QUOTE]

Why? HDD has the price/space advantage and this will be the case for a long time. People that need 5 terabytes of storage for videos/photos/music aren’t going to shell out THOUSANDS of dollars for SSDs.

If anything, the focus should be on STDs. Damn strippers. Just sayin’.

HDDs are relics mate - old, clunky, unreliable and prone to failure They are the slowest part of a computer and should have died out years ago!

This is the 21st century and netbooks are the most popular devices., the bulk of which don’t use hard drives at all.

Good riddance I say.

If you want to live in the past then fine - stick your head in the mud and chant “no, no, no!”.

[QUOTE=BitRate;2517347]HDDs are relics mate - old, clunky, unreliable and prone to failure [/QUOTE]

Are you saying SSDs don’t fail? Is that what you’re actually posting on a tech site?
Don’t get me wrong, BitRate, I would love to buy an SSD. However, they’re still expensive for the storage space you get. Unless you have a thick wallet, you have to be practical, man.

[QUOTE=BitRate;2517347]This is the 21st century and netbooks are the most popular devices., the bulk of which don’t use hard drives at all.[/QUOTE]

I bought a new Gateway netbook (N450 cpu) from Future Shop in January. It has a 250GB HDD in it. There wasn’t even one model in the store with SSD as an option.

[QUOTE=BitRate;2517347]If you want to live in the past then fine - stick your head in the mud and chant “no, no, no!”.[/QUOTE]

Dude, I want to live in the future. I want my hoverboard. I want world peace. I want the Toronto Maple Leafs to win the Stanley Cup. We’re talking 200 years here – at least. I welcome the future, BitRate.

I think HDDs days are numbered as an OS drive, and if you want a powerhouse of a system then an SSD is a must as the OS drive, otherwise an HDD as an OS drive is just going to severely bog the system down.
As for storage, HDDs are still here for a good few years to come for storing large amounts of data, be that video or audio content, or pictures and documents.

As for this new HDD technology, sequential read/write speeds will probably improve, but i can’t see this technology cutting access times or increasing random read/write performance, and that is where SSDs are untouchable at the moment.

A lot of people think that only application loading times are improved by an SSD. It goes much deeper than that, and is something i will try to address in an upcoming SSD review.

[QUOTE=Dee;2517449]I think HDDs days are numbered as an OS drive[/QUOTE]

Agreed. My next OS drive will be an OCZ SSD FTW !!!

The largest SSD densities in comparable form factor are about 1 terabyte (3.5") and the key here is the R&D cost comparisons for both product will (at some point in the next few years) will reach a crossroads where it will become cheaper to r/d and then produce products. That’s why at least 2/3 hard drive makers are hedging their bets to get into the SSD market. Which means in the next 5 years we will most likely see a shift to PC’s with SSDs as primary drives as costs come out of the stratusphere and it will no longer for HD makers to make system drives for computers. The secondary market for additional space requirements will be secure for at least the next decade as I have no confidence that multi-terabyte SSD is coming anytime soon to the “mass market”.