Hd upgrade: WD3200KS or WD3200YS

vbimport

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=233
KS = 3 years warranty

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=196
YS = 5 years warranty

I’m affraid of:
Regular 7200 RPM desktop drives run fine in RAID environments; why do I need these drives?
A: Unlike regular desktop drives, WD RE SATA and EIDE hard drives are engineered and manufactured to enterprise-class standards and include features such as time-limited error recovery that make them an ideal solution for RAID.

What is time-limited error recovery and why do I need it?
A: Desktop drives are designed to protect and recover data, at times pausing for as much as a few minutes to make sure that data is recovered. Inside a RAID system, where the RAID controller handles error recovery, the drive needn’t pause for extended periods to recover data. In fact, heroic error recovery attempts can cause a RAID system to drop a drive out of the array. WD RE2 is engineered to prevent hard drive error recovery fallout by limiting the drive’s error recovery time. With error recovery factory set to seven seconds, the drive has time to attempt a recovery, allow the RAID controller to log the error, and still stay online.

I just want the HD to use as storage HD (non raid
Does that mean I can’t do a software error recovery??
(seagates are sold out in my store. dammit :()

I just ordered the WD 320 gig SATA 3.0gbs HD, I’ll let you know when I get it.

I got them
I bought the raid editions.
Works good
It seems to be that SMART isn’t support so I can’t see how hot the hd is.
But it’s made to run 24x7 so I bet it’s a good one.

The raid editions are made for raid …they don’ have the automatic recovery that the cheaper versions have … the raid controller is responsible for repairing the array.

The cheap version has automatic recovery, and will attempt to relocate bad sectors in the event of failure.

Difference between the two during operation? Nothing, except the price tag.

When it breaks down, the raid edition are screwed (if used as a seperate HD’s).

At least with the expensive version, you have a legitimate excuse for being there, when you throw the HD at WD’s head … was still under warranty :stuck_out_tongue:

As far as reliability, asuming these are similar to other western digital drives that I have looked at in the past, they are the same exact drives. Every single drive is tested before it leaves the factory. The enterprise drives get a longer testing cycle or something along those lines so there is a slightlly leser chance of getting a drive that will fail, though that mostly seems like marketing hype to me. Parts wise they are the same and come off the same assembly line. there might be slight diffrences in the attached control electronics or how they are set like the error corection thing with some models, but the internal mechanical parts, platters, heads etc. are the same in the same model line.

if it’d between the 2 hard drives you linked to then I’d go for the more expensive ones. It’s only a $10 difference. Think of it as buuying an extended warranty for $10 (since i highly doubt there will be able performance differences especially if you’re not using them in a RAID setup)

to me the extra warranty id definitely worth $10.

WD are good drives from my experience and it’s nice to see that they’re beginning to show that kind of trust in their own product by offering such a long warranty. one of the main reasons i stick with deagate is the 5 year warranty…i guess WD is finally realizing that the w arranty is an important selling point to some people.