HD Satellite Signal -> Standard TV or DVD Recorder

vbimport

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I am just thinking about adding HD and need some basic info.

If I put an HD TV in my living room (keep standard TVs in all other rooms in my house) and add HD satellite programming, can I watch the HD channels on my other standard TVs hooked up to my satellite cabling in my home? (I realize I won’t get HD on a standard TV, but will I get audio and video I can watch?)

Also, can I record with my DVD recorder from an HD channel satellite feed? (Again I realize it won’t be HD quality.)

For example, if I get RAVE HD, can I watch the channel on a standard TV in a bedroom, or do I have to watch that channel on my only HD set in my living room?

And, can I record a rock concert from RAVE HD with my Lite-On 5006 dvd recorder and get at least as good a recording (audio and video) as I would get from a non-HD satellite channel such as a standard HBO, etc?

I am in USA, Dish Network programming, interested particularly in RAVE HD for concerts and want to be able to record dvds of performances, if possible.

Assuming you have all the SD TV’s connected to the same HD receiver, they will all get the same programs, just not in HD. HD is only available via HDMI or component connects, the other video connects will be in SD.

You can record the HD channels via the SVideo connect to your DVD recorder. The image will be either “squeezed” into 4:3 or letterboxed depending on your receiver’s settings.

You can also download the manuals for the HD receivers from Dish.

Thanks CDan,

So to clarify, the HD receiver from Dish will allow me to connect HD output directly to my living room HD TV and also to feed a standard satellite output to my other TVs and my DVD recorder.

Also, if I record a concert performance on RAVE HD with my DVD recorder in letterbox mode, I will be able to make a dvd with audio and video quality comparable with what I get now, recording say an Austin City Limits concert on PBS, thru my current non-HD satellite signal.

Is that correct?

Additionally, will there be any scrambling/copy protection challenge with recording a DISH satellite program broadcast in HD, such as a RAVE HD live concert?

Thanks for the help.

So to clarify, the HD receiver from Dish will allow me to connect HD output directly to my living room HD TV and also to feed a standard satellite output to my other TVs and my DVD recorder.

Yes. The Dish 622 does, and can be run in either dual or single mode to allow you to watch different programming on the other TV(s). The “TV1” output also has an SVHS connect that’s always hot which you can connect to your recorder. I’d recommend getting the 622 DVR unit, as the DVR allows you to record the programs to DVD at your convenience.

Also, if I record a concert performance on RAVE HD with my DVD recorder in letterbox mode, I will be able to make a dvd with audio and video quality comparable with what I get now, recording say an Austin City Limits concert on PBS, thru my current non-HD satellite signal.

The SVHS out is always in 4:3 format, but it’s a down-sampled image from the HD content, so quality is quite good. I record this in the “squeezed” mode and then stretch it back to 16:9 either with my monitor or by re-recording on PC at 16:9. This re-recording method has the advantage of creating an anamorphic 16:9 image that can be played on any type monitor. Use of a letterboxed image that’s played back in 4:3 is an equally good solution for 4:3 monitors, but less so for 16:9 monitors. Hope that made sense.
The one caveat is that you are recording analog audio, not digital, so you won’t get Dolby 5:1 audio.

Additionally, will there be any scrambling/copy protection challenge with recording a DISH satellite program broadcast in HD, such as a RAVE HD live concert?

Nope, no problems at this time.

Muchas gracias CDan,

I think I [U]may[/U] be getting a pretty good handle on this HD stuff, but let me try to explain your suggested best dvd recording method from an HD program.

I get the Dish 622 DVR unit when I order HD programming from Dish. I assume the dvr unit will record HD programming in “squeezed” mode to a hard drive inside the unit.

Then I would at my convenience record that 4:3 squeezed hard-drive copy to dvd+rw using my dvd recorder.

Then I would copy the 4:3 dvd+rw to my pc hard drive, and last burn it to a dvd-r (in 16:9 letterbox) with my pc dvd burner.

What software do you use to burn the “squeezed” 4:3 copy on your pc hard drive to 16:9 letterbox dvd-r disc?

I use 1Click for ripping and burning dvd movies on my pc - can I do that with 1Click? Or do I need something else?

Also, I assume the “squeezed” 4:3 will display a distorted image, and stretching back to 16:9 will restore it to proper proportion.

Why would I not record the HD program in 16:9 letterbox mode with the 622 dvr to begin with - is that not possible?

Thanks again for the compressed HD education.

I get the Dish 622 DVR unit when I order HD programming from Dish. I assume the dvr unit will record HD programming in “squeezed” mode to a hard drive inside the unit.

No, the DVR records the actual data-stream off the satellite, so it’s in HD on the hard drive. When you play it back it’s the same as watching the HD program. Same for SD programs, they are recorded in SD. The DVR will hold about 35 hrs of HD programming, or a couple hundred hours of SD programming. Your DVD recorder will be recording the actual monitor-out from the receiver - what you see on the TV.

The squeezed 4:3 image is created by the satellite box in the output stage on the SVHS and composite video outs. There’s no need to do re-authoring of the “squeezed” recordings on your PC unless you want the ability to watch them on BOTH 4:3 and 16:9 monitors. If you want a letterboxed picture, just set the satellite box to output that in the first place and record it that way.

The only real difference between a 4:3 image and a 16:9 image is in a little digital “flag” that tells the playback device to display it that way. You can change that little flag and trick the playback device into stretching 4:3 to 16:9. Your HD monitor can do the same thing, just by changing the aspect ratio with the remote. DVD players have a similar function, where you tell the player what type of monitor you have and it will then treat the different aspect ratios accordingly and/or letterboxing the image as needed.

Anamorphic more or less means that the image is 16:9, not letterboxed into 4:3, (as a lot of programming is). So if you have an anamorphic 16:9 image on DVD, then it will display as either 16:9 or letterboxed 4:3, depending on the monitor and DVD player in use. An image that’s letterboxed into 4:3 on the disc can only be displayed as a letterboxed 4:3 image. Confused yet?

Some DVD editing and authoring software can treat a 4:3 image as though is was 16:9, and create a 16:9 image simply by stretching it out. Other software cannot do this and will only create 16:9 from 16:9. Others will do it, but will re-encode the video with a resulting loss of quality and a very slow process.

I use TMPGEnc-Author, because it lets me set the input video to 16:9 regardless of what aspect it is, and creates a 16:9 DVD without re-encoding the image. I then have an true anamorphic 16:9 image that will display correctly on any DVD player or monitor.

If you will only want to watch the recordings on a 16:9 monitor, then just record the squeezed image and leave it that way. When playing the DVD you only need to set the monitor to stretch it out to 16:9. (full screen mode)

This all seems confusing, I know. Once you have the hardware and play around a bit, it’ll start to make sense. One of the nice things about having the 622 DVR receiver is that if you screw up the DVD recording, you can just re-do it from the DVR.

OK - it [U]is[/U] slowly getting clearer, truly it is. I really appreciate all the great info, and I will digest this a bit and get back later with some more questions.

Don’t want to monopolize your generosity any more today.

Thanks again so much. I have learned a whole lot, since I knew almost nothing about HD before I posted this last night.