HD Picture Quality (Blu-Ray) (LG GGC-H20L)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GGC-H20L. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’ve been googling the past 24 hours trying to find a solution for my issue, but I’m surprised at how little I can find. Maybe I’m not using the right terms or something, cause I am a HD player noob.

I purchased a GCC-H20L from Newegg. I got it installed without an issue. The problem is the picture quality…it’s not HD. It looks like a DVD. Before I go on here are my specs:
Asus A8N-SLI SE
Opteron 165 @ 2.6ghz
2 gigs Pc3200 performance ram
8800 GT Video Card with latest nvidia drivers (11/20/08)
Slysoft AnyDVD
Cyberlink Windvd 7.3
Acer X223Wbd Black 22" via DVI cable.
Vizio VS42LF connected via DVI to HDMI cable.

I didn’t install anything off of the DVD that came with it. Don’t know if that is essential as the manual that came with it was pretty much worthless. It installed a default windows driver to it which seems to work fine. I went and rented Iron Man on blu-ray. Popped it in & everything worked just fine. It will play 1080P on my vizio, but it doesn’t look as crisp as it should. I’ve watch HD downloads before via VLC player or MPC & it looks awesome. I was assuming the real deal would look even better, but it doesn’t. It look like a DVD. The TV does report 1080 P.

I downloaded a sample of the Iron Man move & played it in VLC. It looked awesome! The I played the same scene from the sample in windvd off the actual blue ray. It looked all dull and lifeless. I’m usually a google wiz, but this has me stumped. Maybe this kind of stuff is still too new or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried messing with settings in WinDVD, but it didn’t help much. Turning off hardware acceleration seemed to help a bit, but not as much as I expected.

I’ve also heard about setting up a custom resolution for my TV in the NVIDIA control panel. I guess if you do 1080P with a 24 refresh it’s supposed to help overall blu-ray also. I’m not sure how to do this. Custom resolutions don’t seem to be working. I tried last night but nothing saved. Anyway any guides, tips, ect would be very appreciated!

If you need anymore info please let me know, and thanks in advance for any help.

The only thing that I could think of is that somewhere in the playback chain there is something which is not HDCP compliant - then, if there is a 720x480 stream muxed with the 1920x1080 stream then you’ll get the former rather than the latter…

[QUOTE=Nick.C;2170612]The only thing that I could think of is that somewhere in the playback chain there is something which is not HDCP compliant - then, if there is a 720x480 stream muxed with the 1920x1080 stream then you’ll get the former rather than the latter…[/QUOTE]

Well that is good to know. I thought I heard something about the picture going to low quality if the HDCP didn’t validate. I thought the Anydvd program was supposed to resolve that issue though. Make is so there is no HDCP involved. I’ll maybe look for info about slysoft working with windvd. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!

Sorry for the double post. I don’t see an edit button anywhere. It’s actually powerDVD not windvd

Can you verify that you’re getting 1080p on your Vizio?

I also suspect something to do with your PowerDVD settings. Go to PowerDVD - Configuration - Video and let us kno your settings (or you can post screenshots here).

I was sure to check the vizio resolution. It reported 1080P.
I left all of the power dvd settings at default. So it’s using hardware acceleration, the image quality is set to auto. The only setting I did alter was the audio. I set it to go out my spdif, or whatever it’s called (I’m at work right now), so I was able to get DTS audio on my sound system.

Maybe my video card 3d settings are altering the image? I tweaked my 3d settings for all my games, but I don’t know why that would effect movie playback. I’m running dual monitor of course, but they both run as separate desktops. The TV is set to 1080P, and the monitor is set to 1680x1050.

This is all so new to me, so it feels really awkward. I’ve been a software tester for 3 years, and have worked with computer/tech support for 10, so it’s weird to be so out of the know with something computer related.

Once again, I appreciate the help!