HD-DVR recorder; retail, no subscription?

I have scoured the Internet for a commitment-free DVD recorder. I use over the air (OTA) television, since I find little on cable/dish etc worth paying for. With my digital TV I have no problem receiving HD broadcasts.

IS there a HDTV hard drive digital recorder that I can use to record my favorite programs? The only one I ‘thought’ was available is the MOXI, but it only works with Cable TV.

Oh, I’m in the US. I noticed that such devices are available in the UK, but they use the PAL format.

Thanks!

Mike

While not exactly a DVR, Hauppauge makes several HDTV tuners for computers. You could perhaps use one of those and your PC to capture then play it back on the WD Media player, which does play HD. Another possibility is the Magnavox 2160 which can tune HD and iirc has HDMI upscaling, but it only actually records in SD.

What I was looking for was to just attach my ‘rabbit ears’ to the input and have the DVR record my favorite HDTV programs while I’m away from the house. Something I could program to record say, 7:00-8:00PM Monday on channel 11, then 6:00-9:00PM Tuesday on channel 20. Like the old VCR’s used to do, only onto a hard drive.

Yes I have the solution. It’s the Dish Network DTV Pal DVR. I have one and it’s awesome.

http://dtvpal.com/

[QUOTE=iyospe;2494557]Yes I have the solution. It’s the Dish Network DTV Pal DVR. I have one and it’s awesome.

http://dtvpal.com/[/QUOTE]
That’s not a solution. Requires Dish Network to work. OP has OTA.

You obviously didn’t click my link, or you would have seen that it does NOT require a Dish Network subscription to work. It is all OTA. Trust me, I have one.

[QUOTE=iyospe;2494570]You obviously didn’t click my link, or you would have seen that it does NOT require a Dish Network subscription to work. It is all OTA. Trust me, I have one.[/QUOTE] :iagree::iagree: you are correct and here is the link for it, just click on the dtvpal and you will see all the specs

http://dtvpal.com/

My bad. :o

:bigsmile: we all be bad sometimes Teddy :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=iyospe;2494557]Yes I have the solution. It’s the Dish Network DTV Pal DVR. I have one and it’s awesome.

i didn’t get their dvr because of problems with 3 of their converter boxes and horrible “support”. have you found otherwise?

I own and use one Panasonic DMR-EH50 HDD/DVD (2005 model) recorder, one each Philips 3575 (2007 model) and 3576 (2008 model) HDD/DVD recorders, one Magnavox 2080 (2007 model) HDD/DVD recorder, three Magnavox 2160 (2008 model) HDD/DVD recorders and one Magnavox 2160A (2009 model) HDD/DVD recorder. I plan to purchase one or two Magnavox 515 HDD/DVD (2010 model) recorders through walmart.com in the coming weeks.

The first post in Wajo’s AVS sticky thread is the gateway to a wealth of information concerning recent and current Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12244086#post12244086

Wajo’s sticky thread is hard to miss with its 12,326 posts and 1,165,298 views.

I use a Divco HDTV card that can do cable or OTA stuff and have it on cable right now to capture all my favorite shows. I use CWEPG and Schedules Direct EPG service to get all the schedules and program it to capture all my favorite programs. You could do the same for OTA HD too and the cost for the schedule program is 20 a year, plus whatever your HDTV card costs depending on who you buy it from.
That gets me any local HD channel becuase cable here is required by law to carry all the locals in HD if that’s how they are broadcast, or I could hook up a antennae and get the locals that way.
I also have a Philips 3575 Hard drive/DVD recorder unit and use it to get any digital TV programs that I don’t care about being in HD, and it will also do OTA digital TV, just doesn’t display or record it in HD.
Other then those I think the DTVpal is your best bet for now as far as a standalone local HDTV box too.
I might eventually get a cable card equipped tuner for my PC or home theater PC seeing how I have cable already but you could build one that did just OTA too if you wanted to go that route someday.
I like my 3575 becuase it’s standalone, and has a bigger Hard drive I hacked in, but it wont do HD at all or I’d probably still be using it for everything and I hope Funai who builds them steps up soon and makes a unit that can do HD on cable or OTA with a cable card for those who want it.

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2494611]:iagree::iagree: you are correct and here is the link for it, just click on the dtvpal and you will see all the specs

UPDATE 2013: Dish does not (“NOT”) sell their DVR equipment without a subscription – sorry Charlie/Dartman/iyospe/blwbtr/jimbo…! Tried calling multiple departments, it’s not something their people will do!

Did you think to look for a used one on ebay?

I found 200-odd units offered for sale on ebay

Although I’m not using them any more I have a DTVPal & two TR40s .
None of them are DVRs & never were. A DIsh subscription wasn’t necessary to purchase them.
These are just for converting digital OTA aisnal to analog so an older analog channel tuner can receive digital channels.
I found the RCA unit has the best reception.
The only reason that the DTVPal was better is it had a timer.
So with a DVD or DVR unit you could timer record to an analog recorder .

What the ?
Ok, I’m game, how does this work, buy a dish hd dvr, say a used one.
What then?
I mean, what will it be good for, a boat anchor?
Seriously, if there is a valid use for these, I might get interested, otherwise
this is mere filling up a useless thread.

@ Steve33 , I think the OP was looking for a DVR with a digital tuner to timer record. The post was in May 2009 . I checked one of my Magnavox DVR/DVD units with digital tuner & it was manufactured June 2009. So I think there would have been one available in May.
The DTVPal from Dish got brought up in another post . AFAIK the DTVPal didn’t ever put out a DVR unit.
The one I have is just a converter. It had a limited timer program function which put it ahead of the other converters but only in that way. If there was an analog DVR unit then the DVTPal could have been timer programed in sync with it for time shifting TV recordings. I don’t know if they ever made an analog tuner DVR.
I sure don’t think an old Dish satellite receiver would work for that even if it is a DVR.