HD DVD to DVD-5

I’m sure this has been hashed out, but I can’t find it using the search function. I’m going HD and am not sure about this. Can an HD dvd be ripped, and burned to a single layer DVD by any method using DVDFab?

Steve

Im not sure if it is possible, but if it is there will be a few problems. HD DVD’s are 25GB and a single layer dvd is 4.7GB. This would take an unheard amount of compression.

I don’t know for sure if possible, but probably not recommended.

[QUOTE=BoSox2882;1922476]Im not sure if it is possible, but if it is there will be a few problems. HD DVD’s are 25GB and a single layer dvd is 4.7GB. This would take an unheard amount of compression.

I don’t know for sure if possible, but probably not recommended.[/QUOTE]

You’re right I’m sure, just hoping I wouldn’t have to buy those high priced disks.I guess is doesn’t matter too much, I just got my Toshiba stand alone HD DVD player this afternoon, it’s up converting my backups and they look fabulous! Thanks for the quick response!

Did you happen to get the Toshiba at Wal-Mart? I have heard good things about them.

They are very good at upconverting our regular movies.

One thing that may be an option is HD DVD to DVD9. You would have to cutout extras and foreign audio, but there would be less compression going to DVD9.

Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can chime in.

Yes I got the HD A2 at Wal~Mart. And yes it up converts very very well. There is a firmware update for it on the Toshiba web site and I did that first. You can connect Internet via a CAT5 cable and the player will update its self or download and update from a CD, which is what I did. One of the better features in my humble opinion is it will play any recordable disk I have thrown at it whether they are +R, -R or RW. The downside is that it is 1080i only, so if you are one of those who can see a difference…well.