HD DVD recorder

Hello, I am considering buying an HDTV. Unfortunately, I have many DVDs that I was told would not work well with an HDTV. Therefore, I was told to buy a DVD upconverter. However, I would still like to record HDTV. I know there are DVD upconverts/recorders which I was told would require an HD tuner. I was wondering if

1. I can record HDTV onto a DVD? Then play them on the upconverter
  2. Would it be cheaper to buy an HD tuner and install it into the DVD recorder I have currently.
  3. If I buy the DVD recorder/upconverter is it OK to hook it up via a component connection

I am on a budget and I’m not a stickler for pure HD (But would like it to be clear on the TV).

Please keep in mind that I am not very tech savvy so a simple explanation would be appreciated.

1. I can record HDTV onto a DVD?

No.

[QUOTE=pgrudzi;2219750]Hello, I am considering buying an HDTV. Unfortunately, I have many DVDs that I was told would not work well with an HDTV. Therefore, I was told to buy a DVD upconverter. However, I would still like to record HDTV. I know there are DVD upconverts/recorders which I was told would require an HD tuner. I was wondering if

1. I can record HDTV onto a DVD? Then play them on the upconverter
  2. Would it be cheaper to buy an HD tuner and install it into the DVD recorder I have currently.
  3. If I buy the DVD recorder/upconverter is it OK to hook it up via a component connection

I am on a budget and I’m not a stickler for pure HD (But would like it to be clear on the TV).

Please keep in mind that I am not very tech savvy so a simple explanation would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Your first question what and whom told you that?? That just sounds so absurb. DVD should and will play on HDTV with no problem it is the standalone player that you should be more worried about but most DVD player will play onto a HDTV without no problem. Upconverter only make your DVD to go 1080 or something like that but upconverter has nothing to do with being able to play DVD movies it just to make it more resolution to make it look HD dvd is all. If you going to save HDtv you should invest in a DVI recorder device??? HD tuner are for air HD tv broadcast. Put this way the infor I am reading from what your saying is so confusing what I like to know again is whom is telling you this info??? I have to read again and see what your response is ok… and if need be make revision to my comments…

Upconverter only make your DVD to go 1080 or something like that but upconverter has nothing to do with being able to play DVD movies [B]it just to make it more resolution to make it look HD dvd [/B]is all.

Good luck with that.

Coolcolors I was told this info at a electronics store. So basically my question was if I buy a DVD upconverter and recorder will I be able to view my DVDs clearly on an HDTV. Can I then record HD on my DVDs (be it in SD which can then be upconverted to HD)? The salesman told me that in order to do this the DVD player would have to have a tuner (maybe not an HD tuner I’m not sure), but there are many DVD recoders/upconverters (cheaper) that don’t have a tuner what are they used for. For example the Magnavox ZC320EM8 at Walmart says " Note: This recorder does not have a built-in TV tuner so it can only record from external video sources connected to its S-video or composite video inputs." What does that mean is a HDTV an external source?

Hopefully this is clearer. I know this wasn’t all in the previous email.

Ok, that sounds better then the first read I had. But yes you have to have a HD tuner or Digital LCD that has HD built into it to watch HD broadcast over the air by antenna. It would improve your display to have a upconverter to view on the HD but your HD tv will be able to display your DVD in it’s native resolution without any problem. For the recording you will have to read carefully the dvd player specs for that option your looking for. Most that I seen that is able to do this runs in the 100 US dollars or more. You your paying for what feature you want.