HD DVD-R - Who uses it?

vbimport

Who use HD DVD for data back up?
What are yout toughts and experiences with this kind of media.
Wich are reliable brands that produce HD DVD media and wich writers can handle them.
I’m curious if people on here use it and if they like it. Share your thoughts !

I don’t use it and I wouldn’t because it’s a dead format and you most probably won’t be able to get new drives for reading your backups in the future.
Perhaps not even now?

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2739287]I don’t use it and I wouldn’t because it’s a dead format and you most probably won’t be able to get new drives for reading your backups in the future.
Perhaps not even now?[/QUOTE]

With AnyDVD you can read HDDVD with any BluRay Drive so, reading it would be not an issue i think most likely burning it is an other story.

Hi , I use many years these discs not only HD DVD-R also HD DVD-R DL and RW and I can assure you that my drives Toshiba SD-L902A and SD-L912A the recording and read without any problems.

About what you say you read the AnyDVD HD DVD is not true for reading a HD DVD-R takes a reader HD DVD-ROM can get it on ebay for a good price.

As quoted by fellow Dragemester not recommend at this point you get started with a dead format and it is very difficult to get new media.

[QUOTE=segaklon;2739960]
About what you say you read the AnyDVD HD DVD is not true for reading a HD DVD-R takes a reader HD DVD-ROM can get it on ebay for a good price.
[/QUOTE] Agreed. Two different formats, and a drive has to specifically support each one in order to use each one.

I fully agree with segaklon’s post.

HDDVD. Wow, I haven’t seen it in years but was hoping it would beat out BD because HDDVD was a stronger disk and easier to adopt to manufacturing among disk makers.

[QUOTE=symphonic100;2747801]HDDVD. Wow, I haven’t seen it in years but was hoping it would beat out BD because HDDVD was a stronger disk and easier to adopt to manufacturing among disk makers.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes i wished that to even tho HD DVD is a dead format most expensive Pioneer blu ray players can still play HD DVD(and SACD and DVD-A) even the new models and ebay and amazon still sell a lot of movies in HD DVD.
I think blu ray also won for the fact it has more capacity then HD DVD so higher quality video material was possible on Blu ray.
And in response to your stating it are stronger discs thats something i really doubt because blu ray even manufactured discs uses always an protective layer + a hard coat. Also 25GB blu ray discs are much thicker then DVD or HD DVD Disc. Dont get me wrong i got big love for Blu ray but just to bad they cant release movies and blank media of both formats its always a war one for the other just like SACD and DVD-A.

[QUOTE=symphonic100;2747801]HDDVD. Wow, I haven’t seen it in years but was hoping it would beat out BD because HDDVD was a stronger disk and easier to adopt to manufacturing among disk makers.[/QUOTE]
Before you get too nostalgic, didn’t HD DVD-R discs use an organic dye?

And we know how much everyone loves LTH BD-R. ;):stuck_out_tongue:

P.S.
Out of curiosity, did anyone produce an inorganic HD DVD-R?

[QUOTE=Ibex;2747843]Before you get too nostalgic, didn’t HD DVD-R discs use an organic dye?

And we know how much everyone loves LTH BD-R. ;):stuck_out_tongue:

P.S.
Out of curiosity, did anyone produce an inorganic HD DVD-R?[/QUOTE]

I believe HD DVD is avlittle similair to BD-R Its also readable with an ultraviolet laser like blu ray only its limited to 15GB instead of 25GB.
But i do think Panasonic BD-R are the most trust whorty blank media for digital archiving because of the inorganic dye.
All the failures in most blank media is all organic and degrades quickly even with just a little sun light.
So to me Blu ray is a big step forward.
I know mitsubishi mad a Blu ray disc that can last up to 200 years Enterprise grade but it’s still not released to the public to bad.
The 200 years lifetime is calculated by the one and only real test center ISO/IEC thats also really trustable not like most companys doing their own tests.
Hope they will still release it someday.

Is there any chance that someone could post a quality scan/transfer rate test of an aging HD DVD-R/RE/DL medium?

[QUOTE=pepst;2747858]Is there any chance that someone could post a quality scan/transfer rate test of an aging HD DVD-R/RE/DL medium?[/QUOTE]

That is like “looking for a needle in a haystack”. That is so old tech BD medium is now the game…HD lost the format wars and manufactures where quick to go BD fast as possible to recover lost cost.

[QUOTE=ProLogic;2747804]Sometimes i wished that to even tho HD DVD is a dead format most expensive Pioneer blu ray players can still play HD DVD(and SACD and DVD-A) even the new models and ebay and amazon still sell a lot of movies in HD DVD.[/QUOTE]
Where did you come up with this? Pioneer never made dual format players. LG and Samsung did. Pioneer was one of the founding players on the Blu-Ray side.

[QUOTE=pepst;2747858]Is there any chance that someone could post a quality scan/transfer rate test of an aging HD DVD-R/RE/DL medium?[/QUOTE]

With HD DVD there is no RE, there is only HD DVD-R, HD DVD-RW and HD DVD-R/RW DL …
Question is: which drive can read AND scan a HD DVD-R/RW/DL media??

[QUOTE=chef;2748317]With HD DVD there is no RE, there is only HD DVD-R, HD DVD-RW and HD DVD-R/RW DL …
Question is: which drive can read AND scan a HD DVD-R/RW/DL media??[/QUOTE]

Yeah and i only seen blank media of HDDVD of Verbatim and Maxell.

There are many others, [B]segaklon[/B] posted already a near complete list of all (now obsolete) manufacturers.

Philips, Imation, Ritek etc pp.

[B]Question is: which drive can read AND scan a HD DVD-R/RW/DL media??[/B]

Can the Liteon IHOS 104 do that??

Greetings to everyone, well, it is interesting that at this point even have people at least ask for the HD DVD, I have most of these media including Verbatim HD DVD-R 2X and HD DVD-RW that still use as of today.

If there is interest here I can open a thread and go day after day posting all the different ways that I possess.

About the firmware because I’ve worked in the SD-L902A with TF36 and SD-L912A to19 and I just have not had problems when recording.
At this point the ODD is dead, maybe BD-R be the last.

BD in facto of BD-R/E XL will last some years alongside with UHD/4k. :wink:

I’m still looking for a drive which can read HD DVD-R/W media and quality scan it too…

[QUOTE=chef;2749469]BD in facto of BD-R/E XL will last some years alongside with UHD/4k. :wink:

I’m still looking for a drive which can read HD DVD-R/W media and quality scan it too…[/QUOTE]

Only one drive that reads and writes HD DVD-R and RW which is the SD-L912A, if you wish to make a quality scan tell me what is the best program I can use to do this and I’ll do and posting results.

regards

You know, I have 902 and 912 drives myself. :wink:
Have not found a tool to q-scan with them yet. :frowning: