HD DVD-R blank discs successfully produced on DVD-R lines

vbimport

I just posted the article HD DVD-R blank discs successfully produced on DVD-R lines.

edstar used our news submit to tell us that over at DVdoctor they have an article up that  mentions Verbatim and Maxell have stated the ability to produce HD-DVD-R  discs on exsiting DVD...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10722-HD-DVD-R-blank-discs-successfully-produced-on-DVD-R-lines.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10722-HD-DVD-R-blank-discs-successfully-produced-on-DVD-R-lines.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Does it really matter if existing lines can do them or not, it’s not like people will stop using DVD’s the day after Blue-Ray and HD is released. Same for CDR/CDRW. people are still buying them today and will continue for years to come. These 3 products all fill different needs, well IMO :X

It can be my fault, but the link to Dvdoctor forum seems to be a dead end

I think thats a good thing because hopefully the prices will be low.

agomes- I somehow managed to mess up the link…it works now. Thank you for letting me know. ~Crabby

It matters because it means switching some production of dvd-r to HD will be cheaper. That in turn means that prices on media will be cheaper. It also means we might actually see media sooner rather than later. Its also a big boost for HD over bluray, although I’d rather see bluray with its higher capacity.

With 3 layers HD-dvd has almost the same amount of capacity 45 gb. so if they are smart they are going to create fast the multiple layer HD-DVD-R blank dics .

geez i can remember the 51/4 diskettes and then the 1.44 then the zip then cd-r then dvd-r +r and now blu ray hd dvd and guess what we all still got media with heaps of crap on we will never use lol electrinic hauding its a bitch aint it

From a price point this is good news but I would only buy a HD-DVD burner if they were $99 and the media were $3. It has to be the cost that attracts me since it doesn’t have the raw storage that BluRay does.
[edited by hardgiant on 14.08.2005 11:57]

Good news but lets see how stable these new dies are under blue light - in terms of discs life span.

You know even though they are being produced cheaper they are going to sell them at a higher price to take advantage of high profit opportunities. Its the nature of business. Its a new technology they have to burn the wallets of early adopters.