HD DVD players & media will use watermarking to stop piracy

I just posted the article HD DVD players & media will use watermarking to stop piracy.

The     HD DVD format has got an extra anti-piracy boost with the help of  a new audio based watermarking technology, unveiled by  the Hollywood.  The technology works by adding...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11072-HD-DVD-players--media-will-use-watermarking-to-stop-piracy.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11072-HD-DVD-players--media-will-use-watermarking-to-stop-piracy.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Seriously, how the hell are they going to explain to the people that we can’t hear the watermark, but a crappy microphone on a camera recording family stuff in a room where a TV is playing a HD DVD movie can ? Either it won’t work as they have hoped or it is indeed audible. Why not insert a subliminal message saying “copying is bad, mkay”, while they’re at it !

“HD DVD players & media will use watermarking to stop piracy” And all this DRM-shit will stop people buy that crap :+

I’ve read forums where people won’t buy DVD-A discs because they can hear the watermark and say it sounds like a hiss. This is absurd.

With all these fascist protection schemes being developed for vaporware HD-DVD/Blu-ray products these moronic companies are doing a splendid job in discouraging people from adopting next generation digital media technology. It’s high time people stood up and told these companies to get f**ked with their attempts to control how paying customers should be allowed to use products. I hope HD-DVD/Blu-ray dies a miserable death. Long live DVD!

long live dvd, indeed! as restrictions gets worse and worse, people who used to get legit stuffs will turn away & go for the alternatives? bill gates does not want both hd dvd/bd; what he wants is to drm everything including flash memory/hdd to collect money from us for anything like bandits take money from innocents btw, water marking would not cause sound degration & will be very difficult to remove with all these protections requirements, i wonder how much it will cost to just watch movies in hd quality? will the disk last long enough? i might just read books instead

I wonder how it can not cause sound degradation yet be detectable … and yet be picked up by an ordinary mike and survive all the lossy format conversions :S

Well at some point China will back a more open pirate friendly format… And that will be the one I go with, thank heck for China! Keeping America in check for years to come.

NO SALES EQUALS NO PRODUCT GET IT ? DONT BUY YOU MORONS ITS AS SIMPLE AS THAT BRING EM TOO THEIR KNEES WE ARE THE ONES WITH THE POWER NOT THEM NO PRODUCTS SOLD NO CORPERATE BULL SHIT COMPANY TO PISS US OFF

No way will I bye into this DRM restricted crap im quite happy with my DVD’s and have no intension of moving standards. I hope it fails completely for these new formats because they do not have jo publics interests in mind.

Design by committee is always a bad idea. You always end up with crap. Not only that, but they are more than happy to pat themselves on the back for this great accomplishment. DVD sales are down because there is a glut of content out there. Who wants to buy all new copies of all the things they already have. A good upscanning DVD player already looks awesome. pffffft!

Personally, I think the best audio watermarking they could build into the DVD would be to add sounds of coughing, cell phones going off, incessant laughing…even during the quiet serious scenes. It all of this wouldn’t be enough to curb piracy, I don’t know what would.:wink:

Like anyone who would watch a camcorder crap-o-vision capture would put it on hd-dvd.

I will make sure no one in my Family buys this crap. HD-DVD and BD don’t have to go F**K them selfs it seems they already have. Long live DVD:g

I can’t be the only one who has thought of this. If the watermark is “inaudible” then why can’t someone simply put a high-pass filter on the audio portion of the “recording” during “re-compression” and viola…bye-bye watermark. If I can’t hear it I won’t miss it!! :stuck_out_tongue:

If your pets start going mental and you don’t know why, could be that inaudible watermark! :g