HD-DVD Players all on sale at Amazon.com

Not sure how long this is going to last but the A3 is currently being offered for just under $140 shipped with 2 free movies and the A30 is $180 shipped with 2 free movies and the A35 is $300 shipped with 2 free movies.

The rate these going it may soon go under $100 for A3. I was reading the reviews on Amazon.com and alot of them were complaining about slowness and occasional freezing of these players while playing HD contents. Do you have the same experience?

[quote=fairplay;1975391]The rate these going it may soon go under $100 for A3. I was reading the reviews on Amazon.com and alot of them were complaining about slowness and occasional freezing of these players while playing HD contents. Do you have the same experience?[/quote] Unfortunatly the slowness of the player to read the disc is not only HD-DVD but Blu-Ray as well. These players are actually more like a computer and it takes a long time to load some times. I had no problems with freezing on the Toshiba A30 and I watched a lot of HD movies on it. Also running the latest FW may help with loading and freezing. Just my experience though.:slight_smile:

Heard PS3 is actually very fast at loading/playing.

One problem I’ve run across with my A3 is that virtually every HD-DVD that I’ve gotten from Netflix freezes/stutters during the movie due to scratches, and then the audio craps out and loses sync or disappears altogether.

I wonder if BluRay discs fare better given their scratch-resistant coating.

Waiting for it to drop to $99, need a good upsampling DVD player, rather get the A3 than any other up-sampling players

You can also get the Toshiba A3 at Crutchfield for $149.00

I like Crutchfield because you can try out a product, and then send it back in 30 days if it doesn’t meet your expectations.

Yeah, as does Amazon BUT Crutchfield DOESN’T offer in house price-matching within 30 days of purchase. In otherwords if the price drops, you can contact them about it and get them to refund the difference. Good luck getting that from Crutchfield. Incidentally the prices have all dropped further. $140 shipped for the A3 from amazon right now and $180 for the A30. I dunno if this is a fire-sale concerning what is going on in the high-def world or what. I wouldn’t be surprised if they dropped lower though. Even though I returned mine (partially due to the warner decision and partly due to the Netflix rental playback issues mentioned by liverbomb) however if prices drop below $100 I am going to have a hard time passing up buying another one as I still have 3 titles on HD-DVD sitting here. 2 of which I wouldn’t be able to get on Blu-Ray for a while (Transformers and the Italian Job). Incidentally I can’t seem to get a straight answer out of the Blu-Ray folks, are there or are there not as many playback issues from Blu-Ray netflix rentals as HD-DVD?

EDIT Just noticed that the 5 free via mail is gone this time around so you only get the 2 free titles that come out of the box.

CompUSA.com (now known as systemax) has the A3 for $129.99 + Shipping
They have the A30 for $179.99 + Shipping. You get 2 free movies in the box and 5 MIR

The A30 is 1080p output for those who want 1080p

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3304910&sku=T24-9150

Link might not work so just go to compusa.com and search for toshiba hd dvd

Yeah, just saw that in the thread you posted. Let’s see who can get them the cheapest. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=liverbomb88;1975443]Heard PS3 is actually very fast at loading/playing.

One problem I’ve run across with my A3 is that virtually every HD-DVD that I’ve gotten from Netflix freezes/stutters during the movie due to scratches, and then the audio craps out and loses sync or disappears altogether.

I wonder if BluRay discs fare better given their scratch-resistant coating.[/QUOTE]

Correct, my PS3 rocks in everyway except I have not had it long enough to tell you how long it will last. The HD is consumer replacable so hopefully that will be all I need to do.

If they have the A30 for $99 I will get two more. LOL

[quote=Jesterrace;1975718]Incidentally I can’t seem to get a straight answer out of the Blu-Ray folks, are there or are there not as many playback issues from Blu-Ray netflix rentals as HD-DVD?[/quote]I love to help but sorry I don’t have a standalone now and the PS3 does everything fine. Oh btw, there will be 20GB PS3 for $299 soon and with coupons etc you can get it cheaper. As etp said, we can upgrade the hdd (lots of people upgraded to 160-250GB laptop sata hdd).

Does the A30 better performance than A3 in term of loading and reading bad discs? My Pioneer DVD player is 6-7 years old, still working fine but if the A30 goes $99 I will think hard about getting one.

Glad to hear that they are re-introducing the 20GB model, I only hope that it is as stable as the 40GB and 80GB models (the original 20GB and 60GB versions had some issues). I would definitely go for the 20GB if it is stable as I would only really use it as a dedicated Blu-Ray player. I can’t even think of more than a couple of PS3 titles that I would actually purchase for the thing.

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;1976021]Glad to hear that they are re-introducing the 20GB model, I only hope that it is as stable as the 40GB and 80GB models (the original 20GB and 60GB versions had some issues). I would definitely go for the 20GB if it is stable as I would only really use it as a dedicated Blu-Ray player. I can’t even think of more than a couple of PS3 titles that I would actually purchase for the thing.[/QUOTE]

The issue is from the PS2 backward compatability hardware emulation. The New Version got rid of the hardware emulation and thus not as good as the older 20gb and 60gb version for those who have lots of PS2 games lying around

All they did is removing the emulation chip and using software emulation on the newer systems. So basically you pay more for less features

[QUOTE=zevia;1976010]
Does the A30 better performance than A3 in term of loading and reading bad discs? My Pioneer DVD player is 6-7 years old, still working fine but if the A30 goes $99 I will think hard about getting one.[/QUOTE]

It has more to do with the individual player than it does with the model. Later firmware revisions fixed a lot of the playback problems, but some players are just picky. It’s the luck of the draw. I have very few issues with my A3, and all of those can be gotten around with some fiddling.

[QUOTE=ghetocowboy;1976072]The issue is from the PS2 backward compatability hardware emulation. The New Version got rid of the hardware emulation and thus not as good as the older 20gb and 60gb version for those who have lots of PS2 games lying around

All they did is removing the emulation chip and using software emulation on the newer systems. So basically you pay more for less features[/QUOTE]

Not an issue for me as I have a modded PS2 sitting right next to me. So for me it would acutally be paying more for features that I would never use. Then again you don’t actually pay more for less features as the original 20GB PS3 was $500 (except for blow-out specials when they decided to ditch the model) and the hardware emulation wasn’t exactly perfect so it wasn’t quite a full fledged PS2. However you can get a brand new slimline PS2that will play any PS2 title brand new for $130, so $130+the new 20GB model at $300 is still less than the old 20GB PS3 when it was around and both of the machines function better as a whole than the old 20GB models.

Do you know when we should expect it?

For some reason 1/28 seems to come up in other forums, but speculation is that the 40GB will be reduced in price (which I find doubtful). I hope 1/28 is the date for the 20GB PS3 release, as it’s just enough time for me to return my A3. I also hope the 20GB PS3 uses the newer cpu/mobo so it runs cooler. Don’t have any PS1/PS2 games, so backward compatibility doesn’t matter to me.

In preparation, I’ve already signed up for my Sony card to get $100 off. So $199 for a 20GB PS3 would definitely be agreeable! :iagree:

As an aside, Macworld is next week and their banners say “There’s something in the air.” May have something to do with WiMax, but just as likely it may be an AppleTV refresh. It would be a great opportunity for Apple to compete with a new AppleTV BluRay player/recorder/iTunes wireless media hub at the $299 price point. Of course I’m just talking out of my butt at this point, but we’ll have to wait and see…

[QUOTE=zevia;1976010] Oh btw, there will be 20GB PS3 for $299 soon and with coupons etc you can get it cheaper.[/QUOTE]

You think the HD DVD price drops might be related to http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=133404, among others, including Paramount (allegedly)?

[QUOTE=olyteddy;1976192]You think the HD DVD price drops might be related to http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=133404, among others, including Paramount (allegedly)?[/QUOTE]

They definitely are related to the Warner Bros. announcement. That being said, Paramount and Universal have both still said that they are committed to HD-DVD exclusively at this point (not saying that couldn’t change in the near future). There is another possibility though. It is curious that Warner Bros. has not dropped support immediately and is waiting for may. I could understand if they were just waiting to clear old stock out but the fact remains that they are still producing brand new titles on HD-DVD until may. It kind of makes one wonder if they aren’t essentially giving Toshiba and the HD-DVD supporters an ultimatum to pick up the pace or get left behind. I’m not saying that it is probable, but it is possible.

Man, the price is jumping all over the place on these things. Now it’s $140 with free shipping and the 5 free via mail is back on again.

Looks like Best Buy and Circuit City have jumped on the bandwagon as well:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8494435&st=Toshiba+A3&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1186003898783

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshiba-HD-A3-HD-DVD-Player-HDA3/sem/rpsm/oid/191903/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do