HD DVD movie to DVD-5?

Just bought another HD DVD player that I can use in my shop on my 37" Olevia LCD and now my wife tells me she wants to keep the HD DVDs here in the house. She says she doesn’t think I’m careful enough in my shop and doesn’t want saw dust and such to get on the disks, which is entirely reasonable.

So far I have around 12 HD DVDs and would like to copy the movies to DVD-5 for playing on my new Toshiba A2 in the shop. From what I hear, as long as the content is high enough bitrate and is using the right compression of VC-1 or AVC, you can get approx. 90-100minutes of hidef content onto a DVD-5. Of course this won’t be enough for some movies, Transformers comes to mind, but it would be nice for the occastional HDDVD movie.

Here is what I expect I must do. I use my Xbox 360 HD DVD drive to rip the movie using AnyDVD HD to remove the copy protection, I use another software to rip the movie only from the image (no extras/bonus features), I recompress (reencode?) to fit onto a 4.7gig DVDr… then I burn using the proper file structure and bitwriting DVD burner?

Can anyone point me a guide on doing this? I mean, I own the movies, I just don’t want to have to run the the house everytime I want to watch The Matrix or 300.

Thanks guys!

PS: Seems to me I could save a bunch of space if I compressed the movies down to 1280x720 from their native 1920x1080? Maybe fit more than 2hrs of Hidef content onto a DVDr?

Hi [B]jugernot[/B] and welcome to CD Freaks :slight_smile:

I’ll transfer your question to the Blu-ray and HD-DVD forum here.

Edit: You’re there…

There are lengthy and detailed threads on all this at AVS Forums and I think also at Doom9 forums I think many folks use DL discs for creating HD-DVD.

So I assume the TV in your shop is also big screen HDTV? Otherwise it might be best that you backup a DVD version of it for your shop.

Since you mentioned Transformers HD-DVD, I’m also interested in fitting the movie to DL 8.5GB. I don’t think it will fit though. The main movie itself is 26GB and splitted into two EVO files.

FEATURE_1.EVO 13,212,690 KB, and
FEATURE_2.EVO 13,067, 862 KB

Anyway let us know.

Zevi

Not that I would try it but, would it be possible to put each EVO file on a seperate DVD DL disc and use them as a split set.

Hum, must be a complicated answer, hey zevi. LOL

[quote=The Kipper;1929119]Zevi

Not that I would try it but, would it be possible to put each EVO file on a seperate DVD DL disc and use them as a split set.[/quote]Is not as easy as burning the EVOs (if it fits a DL media), you will need to remux, split and create files that complies to the standard structure and so on. As CDan, there are guides and illustrations around the net but I personally haven’t tried them yet.

Ok, but I was under the impression that the Toshiba A2 didn’t read DL discs (I looked into it several months ago before I owned the A2)? Is that wrong?

If they don’t work, will they work in a 360 HD DVD drive? I don’t want to, but I’ll put the 360 in my shop as I spend just about as much time out there at in my living room. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=jugernot;1930210]Ok, but I was under the impression that the Toshiba A2 didn’t read DL discs (I looked into it several months ago before I owned the A2)? Is that wrong?

If they don’t work, will they work in a 360 HD DVD drive? I don’t want to, but I’ll put the 360 in my shop as I spend just about as much time out there at in my living room. :P[/QUOTE]

All the Toshiba players can read DVD+DL, AFAIK. My A3 does. Some folks report various bugs in playback that seem to be related to book-type settings. I think I’d start by burning them with book type set to DVD+R, not ROM. That’s producing the best results according to the forums at AVS.

Can I assume Toshiba statement is regarding a DVD-9 rather than my original thought of a DVD-5 in this statement?

[QUOTE=CDan;1930217][B]All the Toshiba players can read DVD+DL[/B], AFAIK. My A3 does. Some folks report various bugs in playback that seem to be related to book-type settings. I think I’d start by burning them with book type set to DVD+R, not ROM. That’s producing the best results according to the forums at AVS.[/QUOTE]

Older ones from Toshiba denied ANY plus media. Long agoooooooooooo.

[QUOTE=chef;1930399]Older ones from Toshiba denied ANY plus media. Long agoooooooooooo.[/QUOTE]

The newer ones also deny +R, but it’s a lie.

[QUOTE=jugernot;1930221]Can I assume Toshiba statement is regarding a DVD-9 rather than my original thought of a DVD-5 in this statement?

Not sure I understand the question.

I think that too.

WinOnCD/DVD has a feature to burn a HD-DVD structure after conversion onto DVD9. You maybe could use that feature to transcode it to DVD5 too…

[quote=chef;1931276]I think that too.

WinOnCD/DVD has a feature to burn a HD-DVD structure after conversion onto DVD9. You maybe could use that feature to transcode it to DVD5 too…[/quote]

Ok, but how do I go about ripping the movie only from a HD DVD disc? I don’t want any bonus features, just the film. From what I remember when I looked at my copy of 300 on HD, it’s main .evo file was larger than 8.5gb… do I need to recompress the file to get it on a DVD-9?

I understand that I have to use Nero, etc. to burn the files on the DVD-9 with the correct HD file structure… but I’m interested on finding out how I get the files off of the HD DVD (obviously, I’ll use my Xbox 360 HD drive to get the files off) and down small enough to put on a DVD-9?

is it possible to get the hd files using a standard dvd burner on my computer

jugernot: you might want to take a look at AnyDVD HD (free trial) or DVDFab HD Decrypter (freeware).

raymond: no, unfortunately you need an HD DVD reader. There is no HD DVD drive in the market yet but there’s a combo Blu-ray/HD-DVD burner or reader from LG, Asus and Samsung.

[QUOTE=raymondtrudeau;1931958]is it possible to get the hd files using a standard dvd burner on my computer[/QUOTE]

:confused:
What?
Never ever.

Slysoft will release a CloneHD tool in a near future, allowing HD-DVD to DVD9 backup (in many cases lossless) to watch in any HD-DVD player.

And just how would you know this?