HD DVD hacker succeeds in decrypting a Blu-ray title

vbimport

I just posted the article HD DVD hacker succeeds in decrypting a Blu-ray title..

muslix64, nickname of the person who broke HD DVD claims to have successfully decrypt a Blu-ray title, as well as playback the decrypted title, using his existing plaintext attack. Based…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12901-HD-DVD-hacker-succeeds-in-decrypting-a-Blu-ray-title_.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12901-HD-DVD-hacker-succeeds-in-decrypting-a-Blu-ray-title_.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Just a correction: AACS has not been beaten. Muslix64 has found a weaknes in current software players (powerdvd and windvd) that makes it easy to obtain the keys form hd-dvd and bluray. The players will likely be updated and their keys will be revoked. But clever hackers will likely hack the updated players when they come out :wink:

No Androlight it is beaten , just read his post regarding BD decryption. His pattern based search method he posted there not “beats” the AACS exploiting major flaw in it’s structure but also goes beyond this - Unlike initial methods where you had manually look into a code for places that work with keys this method actually allows “automation” of the search process. Basically what it means that you can create a program that will find the keys on ANY system using ANY software player and without ANY programming knowledge. Personally I did not thinked it’s possible to have such a major flaw in so hyped encryption but it’s there. I think that’s what happens when a left hand does not know what a right hand does … Heads will roll …

P.S.: The new pattern search method THIS is the major development their not the fact that BD disks was decrypted. P.P.S: If you read the topic carefully it’s apparently WAY EASIER to decrypt BD disks using this generic method and any software player memory dump then HD DVDs.

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha !!! :B Now I have faith that both formats will survive and HD discs will become common place in our homes :slight_smile:

I reckon hackers knew this ages ago. Why hack something so early in the release, so they waited a while so the format could not be recalled.

I reckon hackers knew this ages ago. Why hack something so early in the release, so they waited a while so the format could not be recalled.

my thought exactly

they should have waited another couple of months (for the next generation of burners to be released-cheaper and faster)

LordKiron: I know he is using known-plain-text search to find the key, but it is still NOT a fault in AACS but in WINDVD. The next version of WinDVD wil have the keys broken up in small parts and every byte will be rotated and half of the key will be in CPU registers etc etc. This way the key can not be searched with this method. Future HD-DVD and Blurays will not contain valid keys for the old versions of windvd and powerDVD, so you will have to download the new player. AACS was made to withstand an attack like this. I don’t want to sound pessimistic here. I do hope that we one day will be able to exercise our fair rights with new medias too. But there is a long way to go. My guess is that 3 months from now you can’t use this plain text hack anymore. 6 months from now someone will have found a new loophole, but AACS will stil not be beaten…

I side with Androlight on this. It is very amazing that someone has been able to ‘break’ the encryption so fast. But, it will be repaired and will be even tougher than before. I think AACS has the ablility to be around for quite some time. The current software players keys will be revoked and the new players will not be so easy to crack.

As long as a PC is involved with any format be it sound or video it will always be hacked…if they want to stop/make it very hard for haxxers they need to start at the hardware level and not allow the content to be played on a pc…meaning no burners or rom drives. I do not know if it is possible to do this. Foolow the lead of Console games.

Bit’s or bites at some moment the key has to be “assembled” to decrypt unless you going totally hit performance by some kind of weired “by segments” decryption. deezus - you are right of course but it’s becoming really hard on Vista. Boycott it ! Aero is nothing but “gimmick” , performance lower but there are a lot of protections …

As long as a PC is involved with any format be it sound or video it will always be hacked…if they want to stop/make it very hard for haxxers they need to start at the hardware level and not allow the content to be played on a pc…meaning no burners or rom drives. I do not know if it is possible to do this. Foolow the lead of Console games.

@deezus, while the idea of not having any HD-DVD or BD related to PC is a good idea, it does have major flaws. How will people or private studios master their own HD-DVD or BD personal home movies without burner drives? They can’t unless they pay thousands of dollars for a big corporation to do it for them, but who’s willing to do that? While it seems like a good idea at first it will not hit all the targeted audiences. I myself never owned a DVD player until I bought a DVD Camcorder that came with a free coupon to get a free DVD player :S. Most people (like me) still don’t have thousand dollar HDTV setups and thousand dollar players to play them with. I played all my DVD movies through a PC DVD player and software. Now in the HD-DVD and BD method, I just don’t see myself to throw down thousands of dollars just to be able to watch movies, although it would be nice. But less than $200 :B for a BD or HD-DVD drive to be able to play the same movies on my PC for a fraction of the cost would hit me as a target audience for BD and HD-DVD. Also I don’t think people will sacrifice for the inability to reproduce home made movies if BD and HD-DVD only limited their self like consoles. BD and HD-DVD would only kick their selves in the arse if they limited their self to a console style approach. Now do you see where this is going? The approach looks familiar by the name of a la “DRM.” Inability to backup and exercise your fair rights usage because you have no means of a method to do it by.

As I said before, Xbox 360 HD DVD external drive is $200 bucks and will work with a pc. Use windows update to get drivers for the drives memory. Instead of paying 450 for an external one from HP

But unless you have a very high end system, including high end video card and large monitor, you’re not really going to be able to enjoy the benefits of HDDVD or BluRay on your PC.

"I know he is using known-plain-text search to find the key, but it is still NOT a fault in AACS but in WINDVD. The next version of WinDVD wil have the keys broken up in small parts and every byte will be rotated and half of the key will be in CPU registers etc etc. This way the key can not be searched with this method. " Couldn’t you get by that by not updating windvd? I mean, they cant shove an upgrade down your throat if you dont want to.

Shaolin007, That’s not how the key revocation procedure works. WinDVD contains a key and the disc contains a key (several keys). IF WinDVD’s player key is revoked it will not be compatible with future HD-DVD releases, because this key would be missing on the disc. You need to download a patch or a newer version to be able to play new releases. Take a look at the first 4 articles at: http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1104

If one needs a highend video card + a high end PC system, then, the prospect of using the PC to play HD-DVD via the, relatively cheap HD-DVD Xbox360 drive, doesn’t look all that enticing, does it? A sub $500 dedicated player would become cheaper and a lot more useable, i.e. no need to have the PC near or TV set or Ethernet wires to your room. Not that all this will enter my home anytime soon… My Xbox1 is a very good Media Center system already and, for my 32" TV Set it is more than adequate.