HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Player

Hello everyone!

I just bought an LG GGC-H20L to play bd and hd-dvd movies. It came with powerdvd. Everything work well but I would like to know if there’s other software I could use.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=nodiaque;1955990]Hello everyone!

I just bought an LG GGC-H20L to play bd and hd-dvd movies. It came with powerdvd. Everything work well but I would like to know if there’s other software I could use.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
Best to upgrade that PowerDVD to a full retail version, but that’s about the only choice you have.

well, that’s already made, I have powerdvd ultra. I just though there might be another program I can use.

Nero Showtime but you will need the plug-ins. Are you having any problems with PowerDVD??

Yes and no.

Yes because when playing a blu-ray disc, sometime it start to freeze. I had to move the temp folder to my raid drive because of that.

Also, it simply freeze when it cannot read the disc (and it stop reading, the disc and hdd doesn’t blink in activity, cpu same). Then, you see the timeline continue forever and if you try to skip before or after, forget it, it frozed.

Also, playing 2 blu-ray in a row crash the player.

I can’t say for hd-dvd, haven’t tried yet (and I hate bd lol).

What is your system specs?

Do you have the latest PowerDVD Ultra?

Yup, downloaded yesterday.

System spec? heyhey
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Quad Q6660@3.37ghz
Mobo: Asus P5N32-E SLI
Graphic Card: EVGA GeFoce 8800 GTX AC3S
Ram: 2X 1 gig PC2-6400 Dual Channel Sli-Ready OCZ Premium
Hard Disk:
C: Maxtor 250 gb ATA-133
D: Raid 0 2X Sata-2 500 gb Seagate Parallel Writing
E: Maxtor 250 gb ATA-133
F: Seagate 250 gb ATA-100

I’m also unable to read blu-ray drive in my computer, it says “drive is not formatted, corrupted or not windows format compatible”, thus, stopping me from using dvdfab hd decrypter but can play movie in powerdvd

I’d definitely say you are more than equipped to be playing those files. As for being able to read the files from the drive, try the HD version of AnyDVD. Are there any firmware updates for the drive yet?

Heyhey, I just did that (installed anydvd hd) and it worked fine. I’ve read on the dvdfab forum that it’s not working with blu-ray anymore since last version. Anydvd hd work well.

Now, I’m having another issue though. Once I “rip” the blu-ray with anydvd hd using the “rip dvd to hdd” feature, it dumped all file on hd like I’m used to.

Then, I wanted to play it with powerdvd ultra but couldn’t find anyway to open a file in powerdvd. I then click on the 39gigs m2ts file and launched powerdvd from “open-with” menu. Powerdvd start and read the movie but no sound!

I then decided to simply double-click on it since it seems to be associated with something else. Then, nero showtime started and the movie played with sound.

But now, I hate even more nero showtime (I don’t even know when that program got installed in the first place) specially that, stupidly, it span the movie across my 2 lcd screen instead of fullscreening on 1.

Well, the latest PowerDVD Ultra disables playing back the movie from harddrive. It still does play m2ts files but not the movie (with menu), and it still plays from disc.

You will need to downgrade to PowerDVD Ultra 7.3.3319a if you want to play the movie from harddrive.

I wanted to play it with powerdvd ultra but couldn’t find anyway to open a file in powerdvd.
Click the drive icon and choose “Open movie file on hard disk drive”.

it span the movie across my 2 lcd screen instead of fullscreening on 1
It means your screen resolution is smaller than 1920x1080 pixels, you can just set as Full screen and it will fit the size of your screen.

Tried with vlc and mediaplayerclassic??

[QUOTE=zevia;1956225]Well, the latest PowerDVD Ultra disables playing back the movie from harddrive. It still does play m2ts files but not the movie (with menu), and it still plays from disc.

You will need to downgrade to PowerDVD Ultra 7.3.3319a if you want to play the movie from harddrive.

It means your screen resolution is smaller than 1920x1080 pixels, you can just set as Full screen and it will fit the size of your screen.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info on how with powerdvd.

as for the screen, yes it’s the case for mi lcd screen but not my tv (and was still spanning with tv). I found out there’s an option in nero showtime to enable multiple-monitor support to span across all of them.

As for vlc and mediaplayer classic, I didn’t see any blu-ray or hd-dvd support in them

[QUOTE=zevia;1956225]Well, the latest PowerDVD Ultra disables playing back the movie from harddrive. It still does play m2ts files but not the movie (with menu), and it still plays from disc.

It means your screen resolution is smaller than 1920x1080 pixels, you can just set as Full screen and it will fit the size of your screen.[/QUOTE]

I have one working with file on hdd, I manage to do it by clicking on it and them selecting powerdvd. But then, I don’t have any sound in the movie and I don’t have the menu.

What I’m trying to get is exact backup of original dvd. If I burn it, will I get the movie start or it will start at the main menu like the original blu-ray disk?

If you select the m2ts file you will not get the menu, and yes sometimes you will not get any sound, I think there’s a problem in PowerDVD, I have to get back to you about this (testing).

If you want to playback the movie like playing from the disc (with menu, sound and subtitle selections), use the option in post #10 and browse to the parent folder (above BDMV and CERTIFICATE).

Btw, GGC-H20L is not a burner so you can’t burn it to BD-R/RE discs. You can convert to DVD using this guide but you will still need a blu-ray player. http://club.cdfreaks.com/f142/bd2dvd-blu-ray-dvd-guide-232165/

[B]Edit[/B]: do you still having problems playing back directly from the disc (freeze etc)?

Since I changed to raid hdd, no freeze/skip anymore (except when disc is dusty, el viva rental).

As for the hint in the player, thanks for that, I didn’t knew the option that zevia showed, that worked great!

Yeah i know it’s not a burner, I just wanted something to watch both bd and hd-dvd without paying too much and buying 2 separate machine. In the mean time, as you can see I have a lot of space in my pc so hooking 40gig a movie is not a problem when you got nearly 2 Terrabytes of space.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

P.S. Powerdvd have a feature problem though. My exemple come in pirates of the caraibeen 3.

My powerdvd is set to english (but since I live in quebec, french existe a lot in here). When I start pirates, I have the choice from english, french or english before the menu, so the menu is reverted to that language and the head speak french. But then, since powerdvd is english, all it does is setting the movie to french and subtitle to french (if french is selected) but the menu stay english since powerdvd force english (I know, you can change that and also switch when in the menu to french but it still showed the menu in english). Just a note like that

I update my PowerDVD Ultra - now I can not play movie ripped from my harddrive - anyone know where or how to downgrade to 7.3.3319a ?

Many thanks
Thuan

If you want to use a version of PowerDVD beyond 3319a, you will need to make ISO images of your movies instead of ripping the folders to your hard drive. To do this, use (one of the following) CloneCD/ImgBurn/Nero8 to create an ISO image with AnyDVD HD running in the background. Then you can mount the ISO image with Daemon Tools and play it back in later versions of PowerDVD Ultra. However, this does NOT work with BD+ protected titles. For those you will need to use 3104 or 3319a. Cyberlink gets mad if you post links to older versions, so, most forums have a policy against linking to them. If you’re creative, I’m sure you can probably find it.

[quote=SamuriHL;1966976]However, this does NOT work with BD+ protected titles. For those you will need to use 3104 or 3319a.[/quote]I think BD+ titles cannot be played correctly at the moment unless you play from original disc?

No no no…that’s CRAZY talk. :slight_smile: If you use the versions of PowerDVD Ultra that I specified and mount an ISO of a BD+ title, it’ll play just fine. :slight_smile:

[quote=SamuriHL;1967034]No no no…that’s CRAZY talk. :slight_smile: If you use the versions of PowerDVD Ultra that I specified and mount an ISO of a BD+ title, it’ll play just fine. :)[/quote]So there’s no skipping every 2 seconds anymore with those older PowerDVD versions on BD+ titles? And I wonder what’s the difference between mounted ISO compared to playback movie (with menus) directly through harddrive.