HD-DVD and Blu-ray might unite after management changes - or not

vbimport

I just posted the article HD-DVD and Blu-ray might unite after management changes - or not….

Oh boy, we thought this story was at its end but no! Forbes reports that Sony, Matsushita and Toshiba haven’t given up yet on an unified blue laser disc format. Sony and Matsushita back…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10460-HD-DVD-and-Blu-ray-might-unite-after-management-changes---or-not___.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10460-HD-DVD-and-Blu-ray-might-unite-after-management-changes---or-not___.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

2 formats please.

Two Formats? Why? I still say ONE format is the best choice. Most non-tech people hate multiple formats. :r

Well, we already have multiple formats. Blu-ray, HD-DVD, DVD, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, 2.5-inch HDD, 3.5-inch HDD, 1.8-inch HDD, 1-inch HDD, CF, miniSD, MemoryStick… Seriously, aren’t they all supposed to do the same thing?

Even though they all store data, most of the items you listed can’t be compared to Blu-Ray and HD-DVD because they are intended for different purposes or are compatible with each other. Hard disk drives come in different sizes because they need to fit in a wide range of devices like desktops, notebooks, servers, digital audio players and mobile phones. Similarly, a DVD drive will read CD-RWs and CDs. At this point in time you can’t say the same for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

Wonder how many floppies it would take for a High Definition Movie. :slight_smile:

1. competition 2) better products, faster (because of competition). Companies working under the same umbrella with similar products and licensing terms and preventing smaller competitors from competing while maintaining high margins due to a single format taking over the market is not my idea of competition. 3) I have zero interest in universal “movie formats”. There are plenty of formats that get successful (or not) by technical merit and/or lower prices / better availability / better benefits and I would love the all new foemat battles to work the same way. 4) Considering these discs are gonna be used for lots of applications (not just movies) I would prefer both on the market. Even if one or both fail as a universal movie format for Hollywood, it will have plenty of other (more important) uses on the computer. 5) I am sure both have strengths and weaknesses unique to whatever task you want to put them to, so it would be a shame to see the lack of diversity and it would be cool to compare & contrast the two formats and choose the best for your needs. 5) Convergence is the name of the game. I think computers are far more important to any new format than standalone consumer electronics, but what would I know? 2 on the market will at least give us some choice. Just like we don’t have one console ruling the market (or DVD format, lol), I think there’s room for two (and more) here. The multipurpose nature of the (proposed?) formats mean they will do lots, so it would be great to see them both do lots for us and compete for our geek (and not-so-geek) affections.

I own 10,000 shares of SNE, and some Tos shares, this makes me a shareholder and consumer of SNE and Tos. My suggestion to them is to go work on a unified format, or I will short you.

and spinoff the Sony entertainment group to unlock the share value.

and spinoff the Sony entertainment group to unlock the share value.

You are missing two things. 1. Both Blu-ray and HD-DVD are supposed to succeed CD and DVD. They are backward-compatible. 2. Ever heard of HDD-based players that can play VIDEO_TS folders? Things like that didn’t exist when Philips and Sony first invented CD and “HDD” itself didn’t exist in the first place. They are all meant to do the same thing: STORAGE. What I was pointing to was an integration on a deeper and wider level between computers and consumer electronics, and media fusion among the various types of media from conventional TVs and phones to Blu-ray and perpendicular-recording HDDs. So what’s so special about having two standards for something to succeed CD and DVD? The whole optical storage and movie entertainment industries are much behind the rate technologies are evolving.