HD Decrypter auto-shut down

Hi Guys

I use HD Decrypter to put my movies onto my PC but I am failing to copy ‘Blues Brothers’.

I have had no real problems with any film until now.

What happens is I insert the disc into my DVD-ROM, start HD decrypter and allow the drive and HD decrypter to talk to each other. I get ‘D:\Blue Brothers’ on the screen and the disc is being read.

Then the disc some how closes HD decrypter altogether.

I have tried other disc’s and everything is fine.

Could it be a kind of copy protection that is doing this? The film is from 2003 (The DVD itself) so it can’t be anything that hasn’t been beaten thus far, can it?

Any sugestions?

Thanx

Slash1975

Welcome Slash1975,

I moved your thread to our dvdfab forum so you’ll get more help with your problem.

[quote=Slash1975;2224099]Hi Guys

I use HD Decrypter to put my movies onto my PC but I am failing to copy ‘Blues Brothers’.

I have had no real problems with any film until now.

What happens is I insert the disc into my DVD-ROM, start HD decrypter and allow the drive and HD decrypter to talk to each other. I get ‘D:\Blue Brothers’ on the screen and the disc is being read.

Then the disc some how closes HD decrypter altogether.

I have tried other disc’s and everything is fine.

Could it be a kind of copy protection that is doing this? The film is from 2003 (The DVD itself) so it can’t be anything that hasn’t been beaten thus far, can it?

Any sugestions?

Thanx

Slash1975[/quote]
That could be a memory issue, what are the specs of your computer? It could also be a badly mastered or just plain bad source disc. Just because it plays doesnt mean it will backup correctly. If other discs play and backup just fine, I would think a good cleaning of the source disc might be in order. If that doesnt work , then try another disc.

Slash
Does it crash before or after you click Start? Plenty of free space on the Target drive?

Hi guys - Thanks for the reply

Firstly, my PC is old. 2002 in fact! AMD 900 Mhz, 500 MB RAM, 40 GB hard drive. OK, I need a new PC but for what I want it does exactly what I need. And I got it free too! I have over 20 GB free so space isn’t an issue.

Secondly, every DVD I have tried to copy with HD decrypter (HDD) has passed without any problems and copied perfectly every time.

What actually happens is : I start HDD, insert DVD into D drive, HDD then reads the disc and d:\Blues Brothers is shown and the bar going across which means it is being read.

Then HDD just closes down. Can’t try or do anything and can’t press start in the first place.

I have repeated this process, cleaned the disc a few times and still same problem and I believe that the disc itself is triggering the close down of HDD. I have put other discs into the DVD drive and HDD reads them with no problem at all.

Could this be a copy protection issue? Ie, a new protection software that detects HDD, etc and causes them shut down?

I am trying to copy it with DVD shrink instead now and it’s OK but as my PC spec is naff I have to wait for… over 6 hours!!!

Any suggestions (apart from a new PC!).

Slash1975

Try disabling PathPlayer in DVDFab Common Settings. Remember to set it back to Always Enable after testing with this disc. In Common Settings->Read, disable the read ahead cache (bottom checkbox). Protection on a disc that old that DVDFab can’t handle would be very unusual.

Thanks Guys

Disabling PathPlayer did the trick.

Just out of curiosity, why is that???

Thanks

Slash1975

Glad that fixed it. I suspect it is some sort of read error (could be protection) on the disc (since it is so old) that for some reason PathPlayer is not handling well. Anytime you get a crash during analysis, it is likely related to PathPlayer because that is when it does its work, and not many other modules are running then. Still, the error handling should have caught this. :frowning: If I can find my original of this I’m going to try it and see what it does.