HD Burn - GigaRec

vbimport

I stumbled accross Sanyos HD Burn press release a few days back, did some searching here about it - it all seemed like the same tech as Plextors Gigarec at first.

I noticed of course that the amount of data that one could fill a 80min CD was bigger with HD Burn (up to 1.4gb opposed to the 984mb of GR), but i thought that mught be Plextros choise to increase compatability and reduce read/write errors.

Then i noticed this from the press release:

b In terms of CD-ROM read, write speeds, capable of Maximum data write speed of 36 times and Max data reading speed of 80 times.

HD-Burn mode has a data write speed of 36 times and a data read speed of 80 times using the CLV (Constant Linear Velocity) format.[/b]

How can this be? Its quite different to the 4x write restriction of GR, while at the same time it was my impression that reading GR written discs is done at low speeds also.

Do these technologies have fundamental differences afterall?

HD burned discs are not compatible to anything…If I recall correctly, it is not even supposed to be compatible to anything

Originally posted by alexnoe
HD burned discs are not compatible to anything…If I recall correctly, it is not even supposed to be compatible to anything
So what would be its purpose of being?

And whats with the 80x read spead? :confused:

I just received my Plextor Premium, and I must say I am impressed sofar.

As far as the Giga-Rec goes, as an experiment, I burned @(1.4x rate) 1040MB onto a 650MB disk and a (1.3x rate) 967MB(audio cda). I had no problems with my Plex 4824a and 1610a playing it. My liteon 163D had no problems either. :bigsmile:

I then put the 1.4 disk in my Sony SACD player It was having a tuff time reading the toc. (not really surprised) :rolleyes:

I then placed the 1.3x cd in. It was able to read the cd-text and play the cd with NO Problems. :bigsmile:

I then thought why not try my Blaupunkt stereo in the car. 1st I inserted the 1.4x disk, after a few second’s it played. However, it sounded like there was some static in the music. Also if you searched or skip a song, then it had trouble re-syncing.

I then put the 1.3x cd in. It played with no problems and was able to search, skip etc… and no sync issues. What a surprise! :bow: I don’t have any 80min or 90min cd’s at the moment, so I couldn’t try that.

As far a the Sanyo HD format concerned I thought I read somewhere that it created pits and lands that were out of spec with the orange book standards, However Plextor just are in the orange book standards, thus making it far more compatable with other players. :bigsmile:

Hemispasm stated… So what would be its purpose of being?

It was so they could say " We were there first…ahh, compatability? not sure what you mean.":eek: :smiley:

Thanks for the heads up alchip80. :slight_smile:

@Hemi: Ask Sanyo…I don’t see any purpose :smiley:

Oh well, people do useless things from time to time i guess :slight_smile:

I’m in contact will the developer of the HD Burn technology, I will ask him your question one of these days. (But he’s a very slow responder, if he responds at all…)

Originally posted by DoMiN8ToR
I’m in contact will the developer of the HD Burn technology, I will ask him your question one of these days. (But he’s a very slow responder, if he responds at all…)
That would be cool Domi. So what i, and maybe others too, would like to know would be:

1. Is the technology similar to GigaRec (ie: changing only the width of the pits to get more data in a 80min CD?) or fundamentally different (which would explain the enormous differences in write and read speed characteristics - 80x read speed? :eek: )

2. Compatability - is there any?

correction: HD Burned cds do work in most dvd players. it worked in mine. itcan hold 2 hours of video (not as good quality as dvd, mind you).

ALSO, its good for backing up data. (dvd rom drives read them well) when you need to back up more than 700MB, dont go buy a single DVD ($3 for a single), go buy a CD ($ .60 for a single)

all in all, its only worth it if you think its worth it. i think its worth it because it wasnt any more expensive than any other DVD+R/-R combos out there.

Originally posted by Hemispasm
How can this be? Its quite different to the 4x write restriction of GR, while at the same time it was my impression that reading GR written discs is done at low speeds also.

Since firmware 1.03, GR discs can be written at 8x

Yeah strra brought up quite an old thread… :wink: I have tried HD-BURN myself and I wasn’t impressed by it at all. In my case I was never able to create a disc that worked in my DVD players and the fact that the technology doesn’t work for audio discs is a real disadvantage. I prefer GigaRec but it’s like comparing apples with oranges. Both technologies are simply not the same and thus not comparable.