HD Antenna

vbimport

I just bought a HDTV. I’m only using a HD Antenna to receive Local Stations. No Outdoor Antenna. I bought a $10.00 Rabbit Ear type HD Antenna for it. It’s not Not Amplified. I get all stations except one that my old CRT tv gets. I use a converter box & a non HD Antenna on it. What’s up with that. When I had my other old CRT TV in the living room where the HDTV is now. I could get that station. It’s the FOX station. Got to have my Football games.

The difference is the digital tuner . The converter boxes is apparently a better one.
I have this indoor antenna & it does very well.
http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewitem.asp?p=SS3000&d=Winegard-SS3000-Indoor-UHFVHF-TV-Antenna-(SS3000)&post=

There are a few weak Spanish channels it doesn’t pick up but I really don’t need them anyway.

Do you think a Amplified indoor Antenna would do the job? I plan to get Dish or Cable TV at some point. But for now I just want to get by. I don’t want to spend the $ for a Outdoor Antenna.

I’ve tried one other “cheap” amplified it was worse than a good unamplified set of rabbit ears I have.
I can’t say if the one I use will be as good for you as for me. A lot depends on conditions for reception.
The winegard SS-3000 is amplified . I’m satisfied. If you get one I hope you will be.
I ordered mine from winegard but I suppose you might find it cheaper on the internet .
A quick look on ebay I found it some cheaper
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Winegard-SS-3000-Indoor-HDTV-Antenna-/150497153206?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230a5450b6

Go to TVFool.com and see what they say as to direction and signal strength. It may help you aim your indoor antenna for better results.

Yeah the most important thing is the strength of the signal in your area.

If it’s too weak then no amount of amplification will improve it.

Where I am ATM we have to use a high gain outdoor antenna to get a strong enough signal.

This will change next year when they finally switch off the analogue transmitters and boost the digital transmitters to full strength but ATM an indoor aerial isn’t an option where I am.

[B]Wombler[/B]

If possible, I would highly recommend getting an aerial installed either in the loft or better still, on the roof. Even the most basic dedicated aerial in the loft will pull in more than pretty much any TV-top aerial (amplified or not.)

To give an example, when RTÉ started doing test transmissions here, if I held my TV-top aerial at the right part of the Windows, my TV would pick up the signal just enough to show a broken picture with a signal quality of <10%. Adding an amplifier to the aerial improved the picture a little, but not much. If I placed the aerial down anywhere, the TV showed “No signal” with a signal strength/quality of zero.

When I replaced the loft aerial with a high gain Yagi, replaced the coaxial cable with double-shielded satellite grade cable and a UHF band-pass filer, it not only got in a perfectly stable picture but also with a signal quality of 70%.

Just recently, RTÉ increased the signal strength and I now get a 100% signal quality on the TV. However, with the TV-top aerial pointed out the window (aimed correctly), the signal quality is only ~30%.

It may cost a bit to get in a professional installer, but with a good installation, it should last a lifetime, especially if the aerial is installed in the loft where it does not get affected by the weather. :wink:

@ Seán , What does the UHF band-pass filter do ?
With the amplified indoor antenna I use the weakest channel comes in at 70 to 73 % .It is a PBS channel. The main network channels come in at 90 t0 96 % .
It also does this through a splitter which goes to 2 DVD recorders with their own digital tuners & one converter box for the older DVD recorder with only a analog tuner.
My loft is very shallow due to a low pitch roof & the wind here is hard on outdoor antennas . I did see one that was heaveir duty & supposed to stand more wind.

The UHF filter basically filters out any frequency above and below the UHF band. With a TV top aerial, it’ll probably not make much of a difference, but when used between the root top/loft aerial and the input of a mast-head amplifier, it basically attenuates signals outside of the UHF band such that the amplifier does not end up overloading the TV tuner with frequencies outside of the UHF band that end up being amplified, e.g. any amateur radio radio operator, police radio, etc. that the aerial happens to pick up between the path of the aerial and the distant transmitter.

Once again, at least here in the USA I recommend looking at http://www.tvfool.com/ to see what you need (UHF -vs- VHF, gain or preamp, direction(s) to point it, etc.)…