HBO Asks Google to Take Down “Infringing” VLC Media Player

vbimport

It’s no secret that copyright holders are trying to take down as much pirated content as they can, but their targeting of open source software is something new. In an attempt to remove pirated copies of Game of Thrones from the Internet, HBO sent a DMCA takedown to Google, listing a copy of the popular media player VLC as a copyright infringement. An honest mistake, perhaps, but a worrying one.

Link:
http://torrentfreak.com/hbo-asks-google-to-take-down-infringing-vlc-media-player-130715/

:cool::cool:

Ban Monitors!

I think Google should ignore the VLC takedown request but allow this:

In addition to many “bogus” claims the company also tried to have its own website removed from Google.
If HBO requests their own site to be taken down, then Google should humor them! :cool:

Amazing, though if HBO really wants to reduce the circulation of pirate copies of Game of Thrones, it might actually consider releasing legitimate copies for purchase on dvd and/or blu-ray. Game of Thrones is far and away the most pirated movie or tv series in Australia but what can HBO expect when it refuses to make the series available for lawful purchase within any reasonable time after screening.

I’ve bought both seasons 1 & 2 on dvd and certainly would buy season 3 but it still remains unavailable for lawful purchase downunder (except on itunes) despite the fact that season 4 is to commence soon on cable. :frowning:

Couldn’t agree more; they are shooting themselves in the foot.

I’ve got season 1 on DVD because Walmart had it on sale over the Holidays
Season 2 is still $33 at Walmart, but $45 at Best Buy.

Season 3 should be available on DVD & BD shortly after they premier Season 4 on HBO (Premier night is April 6th, 2014)

BTW, on the other HBO series “Boardwalk Empire” the upcoming 5th season
(Which should start to air in Late September 2014) will be the final season
for the series.

Game of Thrones is contracted through to at least the end of Season 6

HBO has announced that they are releasing season 3 of Game of Thrones
on Bluray & DVD on February 18th

At last. :slight_smile: Now we’ll just have to see when it’s for sale downunder.

[QUOTE=philamber;2718278]Amazing, though if HBO really wants to reduce the circulation of pirate copies of Game of Thrones, it might actually consider releasing legitimate copies for purchase on dvd and/or blu-ray. Game of Thrones is far and away the most pirated movie or tv series in Australia but what can HBO expect when it refuses to make the series available for lawful purchase within any reasonable time after screening.

I’ve bought both seasons 1 & 2 on dvd and certainly would buy season 3 but it still remains unavailable for lawful purchase downunder (except on itunes) despite the fact that season 4 is to commence soon on cable. :([/QUOTE]

They still haven’t learned it means…and pirates are winning and winning more and more…

Why do they keep doing all these bone head moves and keep their head up where the sun doesn’t shine constantly. This is the same very thinking inside the box that started Napster and the torrent revolution. Doing what they are doing just makes torrent users legal or illegal as a means to challenge the Corrupt Corporation GREED. They aren’t able to grasp closing illegal sites and more will pop up to replace the previous ones and the winners are Pirates…regardless of what I may say or think how legal Pirates are - they are the winners in the end. Just like the Music Artists are the looser in the music industry a few becomes major Artists breakout but the rest just get lost in the static and studios just use them to bankroll their Corporate WELFARE…and blame the down-loaders when their profits hit the fan.