Having problems with burning

vbimport

I got a liteon 48x24x48 about 6 months ago. I dont know why, but many times when I burn a CD it doesnt burn it correctly. Most of the CDs that I burn only work with my burner. only a few of them work with my DVD drive and with my other computer. If I try to copy a burned cd to my hard drive, it would take a long time, and my dvd drive would spin at a really low speed.
what’s wrong ?

A bit more info would help. Such as OS, software , and media being used.

winxp pro, 255mb ram, 800mhz intel. Umm I use nero almost all the time. My burner is on dma mode too, I cant think of any reason why it wouldnt burn correctoy :frowning:

What media are you using and have you used cdspeed test in the Nero tool kit to check if the burner writing correctly ? Also do you have other burning software on the system ?

Originally posted by nmpaulcp
What media are you using and have you used cdspeed test in the Nero tool kit to check if the burner writing correctly ? Also do you have other burning software on the system ?
I’m using Maxell 40x (the spindle one with the green cover). I just used CD Speed to check the speed of a CD that worked “ok”, and the read speed never got higher than 24x (average 17x), while my drive is 40x.
Also another thing that I noticed was that when I was burning an image file with alcohol, the speed wasn’t quite the same as the one that I chose. I chose to burn the image with 32x but during the burn, the speed dropped to somewhere about 16x and it even got as low as 6x for a while :confused:

one other thing to mention: I copied a CD from my DVD drive to hdd, and it took nearly 10 minutes. My DVD drive is 16x, so I guess that’s about 40x for a CD. I have tried the same thing with another computer and it takes too long to read any of the CDs that I’ve burned, and many times it doesnt read the whole thing.

It shouldn’t be because of Maxell, right? I thought Maxell is a good brand:rolleyes:
edit: one more thing to say, I usually burn at 24x or 32x while the CDs max speed is 40x

It could be the media; try running Scandisc or CD Quality Check, which are both features in CDSpeed. If you see yellow blocks in Scandisc or errors in CD Quality Check, try different media, such as Fuji 48x. You might also try updating the firmware to the latest version if you haven’t already done so, as this can improve writing quality.

Originally posted by LiteOnGuy
It could be the media; try running Scandisc or CD Quality Check, which are both features in CDSpeed. If you see yellow blocks in Scandisc or errors in CD Quality Check, try different media, such as Fuji 48x. You might also try updating the firmware to the latest version if you haven’t already done so, as this can improve writing quality.
this is the only media that I have, so I’ll have to wait for a deal before I buy another one… I cant find any deals right now :frowning:
I’ll try updating the firmware, thanks

I hope the firmware upgrade helps. Let us know what happens! :smiley:

hmm! I upgraded it, and so far I have tested one CD. I burned this one twice before upgrading and each time it was full of errors. Now when I test it with CD speed, it gives me no errors, and none of those yellow lines. So I guess the upgrade has actually done something. :bigsmile:

btw is it because of my CDs that the read speed is so slow? it’s between 8 to 20x most of the times (average for this cd that I tested was 16x) :confused:

The slow speed is probably caused by your CDs, assuming your burner and other drives are all in DMA mode. BTW, what DMA modes are your drives using?

The slow speed is probably caused by your CDs, assuming your burner and other drives are all in DMA mode. BTW, what DMA modes are your drives using?

The Maxells that I have and are 40x’s test at around 20x’s on a LiteOn 48125W. That is max speed, average is well below;)

Originally posted by nmpaulcp

The Maxells that I have and are 40x’s test at around 20x’s on a LiteOn 48125W. That is max speed, average is well below;)

disappointing media:(

my burner and dvd rom are ultra dma 1 and my hdd is ultra dma 3… I guess that’s normal, hehe

btw after that firmware upgrade I have burned about 6 CDs, no errors yet, but the CDs read pretty slowly… stupid media. I guess my burner is ok then:)

I agree, nothing seems to be wrong with the burner. The media is probably just poor quality.

Originally posted by MrPolite
[B]disappointing media:(

my burner and dvd rom are ultra dma 1 and my hdd is ultra dma 3… I guess that’s normal, hehe

btw after that firmware upgrade I have burned about 6 CDs, no errors yet, but the CDs read pretty slowly… stupid media. I guess my burner is ok then:) [/B]

Um… I’m just guessing here, but shouldn’t the drive be udma mode 3(aka. UDMA33)?

UDMA 5 -> ATA 100
UDMA 4 -> ATA 66
UDMA 3 ->ATA 33

Correct?? So if his drives are running “UDMA 1”, they would be really slow! I know for sure 48246S can run UDMA33, so something must be wrong.

Suggestion: Update mobo chipset drivers…

Actually:

ATA133 = UDMA Mode 6
ATA100 = UDMA Mode 5
ATA66 = UDMA Mode 4
ATA44 = UDMA Mode 3 (strange but true)
ATA33 = UDMA Mode 2
??? = UDMA Mode 1

You’re right, SkYLiNe, the burner should be in UDMA2. The hard drive should probably not be in UDMA 3; it should probably be faster.

hmm!!!
what’s "mobo chipset " btw?

how can I change this? :frowning:
maybe my motherboard is old? I have a pentium 3 800mhz. I cant remember the brand/model of my motherboard right now

The “mobo chipset” is basically a set of chips which allow various parts of the computer to interact with the motherboard. Some chipsets will work better when a driver made by the chipset manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer is installed. The most common kinds of chipsets are made by Intel, VIA, and SiS. What SkYLiNe is saying is that you should determine the motherboard manufacturer and model, then go to the web site of the manufacturer and download the IDE drivers there.

I installed something called VIA drivers, dunno if it will help. That’s the only thing that they had on their website.
sorry I dont think this has too much to do with CDs but still thanks for the help

edit: didnt change anything. Still the same modes

Can you try doing a read test with a pressed CD-ROM disc?

Also, you might try uninstalling your IDE controllers in Device Manager and then reboot. This has been reported to help get the drives in the proper DMA modes.

[B]Can you try doing a read test with a pressed CD-ROM disc?

Also, you might try uninstalling your IDE controllers in Device Manager and then reboot. This has been reported to help get the drives in the proper DMA modes. [/B]
I’ll do the uninstall thing that you asked me. Btw what’s a “pressed CD-ROM”? sorry I’m a total newbie :slight_smile:
also in the IDE controlers in Device Manager, there is a thing called “VIA Bus Master IDE Controller”. Does every computer have this in device manager?

one more issue about my burner: I dont know if it has to do with my CPU, but when I’m burning a CD, everything slows down A LOT and even the sound doesnt work right anymore. If I play a sound file or if a message with a sound pops up, I hear everything messed up. It looks like it’s not fully processing the sound or something, heh (fuzzy sound). I have a 800mhz intel with 256MB ram. Isnt this enough processing power for burning a CD?!!!:confused: