Having problems with Buffer Level, NEC ND-3500A

vbimport

Hi all,

I’m a newbie on this. I have a NEC ND-3500A but I can’t record DVDs or even CDs. When I’m trying to burn a DVD the buffer level keeps going up and down.
I brought the recorder to the store and they told me it had no problem. I formatted my PC and the recorder started to work ok. Today (1 month after formatting) the NEC buffer level is unstable again (it was working today morning and I haven’t installed anything) so I made a partition and installed another Windows there, and it works on that Windows! Now I have one Windows for burning CDs and DVDs and another one to make my things…
So I guess this is a software conflict, but what can it be? I’ve unninstalled most programs and I cannot get it to work on this Windows. Can someone help me?

I have the latest firmware, running two Windows XP SP2.
System config is P4 2.4Ghz 1024MB Ram
Feel free to ask whatever u need to know.

Thanks

any help plz? :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum

Check that DMA is enabled on all drives, including the optical drive.
Try MS default IDE drivers
Try defragging your hard drive

Also, buffer dance is quite normal on most 16X DVD burners. See the NEC faq for more details.

well, I know it’s quite normal but it’s not normal that it dances (and crashes the DVD) in one Windows and works very well in a new one on the same hard drive…
Both Windows have the same settings for the burners (DMA mode as well).

I made a repair to the Windows where the burner’s buffer were always up and down and it’s working again lol, dunno what’s the problem

probably what Dee-27 said… just a hint but when the post count is large and the person is a mod it is pretty probable they know what they are talking about.

DMA can drop to pio mode if there are communication failures. windows after a certain amount (i can’t remember how many but you can search and or google to find out) it will roll communication back to pio in 2 years of dvd burning on 2 systems i have seen it happen probably once or twice. reloading/repairing will fix it because it erases the pio count as does pulling the controller and letting it redetect.

the “buffer-dance” on the read buffer means DMA on the Drive buffer it means AOPC is calibrating your disc. if you have the drive buffer dropping quite a bit it means you have a crappy piece of media.

i would always suggest using nero cd/dvd speed to verify the issue it will tell you if the media, drive or system is having problems. Burst rate will tell you if your system is able to provide the 25MB/s needed for 16x. create disc will tell you if the drive is able to reach the correct speeds (if you look at the reviews you will see the dropouts where the drive calibrates during a burn) and you can also scan your discs for “quality” as well as run transfer rate tests. it is a heavy duty tool.

Just to mention what Dee said before: Don’t forget to defrag your harddrive(s)!
Also check that DMA is activated for your drives.

DMA can drop to pio mode if there are communication failures. windows after a certain amount (i can’t remember how many but you can search and or google to find out) it will roll communication back to pio in 2 years of dvd burning on 2 systems i have seen it happen probably once or twice. reloading/repairing will fix it because it erases the pio count as does pulling the controller and letting it redetect.

I believe it but the burner stopped working only 1 month after formatting the system. :rolleyes:

the “buffer-dance” on the read buffer means DMA on the Drive buffer it means AOPC is calibrating your disc. if you have the drive buffer dropping quite a bit it means you have a crappy piece of media.

I tried different media, anyway, I was using Verbatim (also known as Mitsubishi I think) which I heard is a nice media.

i would always suggest using nero cd/dvd speed to verify the issue it will tell you if the media, drive or system is having problems. Burst rate will tell you if your system is able to provide the 25MB/s needed for 16x. create disc will tell you if the drive is able to reach the correct speeds (if you look at the reviews you will see the dropouts where the drive calibrates during a burn) and you can also scan your discs for “quality” as well as run transfer rate tests. it is a heavy duty tool.

Thanks for the advice. :wink: I’ll try it next time it happens before repairing Windows.

Just to mention what Dee said before: Don’t forget to defrag your harddrive(s)!

Repairing Windows doesn’t work as defrag… and Ultra DMA 5 was on for both drives, so I can’t still understand what was the problem exactly.

Thanks all