Having problems with Adaptec Easy CD creator 4 in windows xp:

I get an error message in a balloon by the time saying that it will not install the driver for cd burning software because it will make windows xp unstable. What do I do to get rid of that? I uninstalled the darn program and even went into it’s registry files with RegCleaner and it’s still there after I deleted them.

What do i do?

are you trying to install or trying to UNinstall the product ?

UnInstall :

If the normal uninstall does not work , perhaps you can go back to a previous made storepoint in Windows XP.

If you have no clue what the heck a storepoint is , you probably haven’t made one , so then it’ll have to be uninstalled on other purposed.

What you can do is boot up your pc in safe mode and try to uninstall it then. The open regedit and delete every roxio and easy cd creator reference. do NOT remove Adaptec drivers ! They can be necessary for the operating system to run.

If you are not too sure if this method will work , then first make a storepoint in normal boot mode(see your windows help files) and then boot to safe mode and uninstall/regedit.

Install :

If the product does not want to install , this can be because of various things. Perhaps the product is trying to install ASPI drivers which are pretty outdated (Remember EZCD 4 was out way before Windows XP). In this case it can be better to update the ASPI drivers from the Adaptec website and then try again to install.

Also be sure to update the product from the updates available at the Roxio.com website.

I do recommend NOT installing EZCD 4 , but go straight to 5 if possible.

I’ve tried to uninstall it, but I’m guessing I should go back and install it again, is that what you’re saying as well as going to the roxio’s site and updating the ASPI?

I’m not sure where to dl, because they have a lot of crap for ads and stuff for the platinum version which I don’t want to buy.

Originally posted by ry71984
[B]I’ve tried to uninstall it, but I’m guessing I should go back and install it again, is that what you’re saying as well as going to the roxio’s site and updating the ASPI?

I’m not sure where to dl, because they have a lot of crap for ads and stuff for the platinum version which I don’t want to buy. [/B]

i can imagine that.

thing is , the old EZCD creator liked to nest itself a lot in the windows environment , it’s not that easiliy removed 100%.

Try making a storepoint first, then boot in to safe mode and get rid of it by using uninstall, then removing all the appropriate files manually , then open up regedit , remove all “easy cd creator” thingies and then open msconfig and remove all easy cd creator startup dll files. Then reboot.

This should do the trick for about 99%

Do not try to install Easy CD Creator 4 in WinXP. This old version is discontinued and is totally incompatible. Roxio has stated this from the first release of WinXP. It will never work and can only cause problems if you attempt to install it.

If you start removing registry items without knowing what you are doing, you may disable the built in burning capability of WinXP or cause other problems.

Try Ctrl-Alt-Del to see if you can identify the driver causing the warning balloon message, and rename or delete the file.

Did you uninstall Direct CD at the same time you uninstalled Easy CD Creator?

The error that you are getting indicates that Direct CD drivers are still loaded and are looking for the cdr4vsd.vxd file, which was probably removed when you uninstalled Easy CD Creator.

First make sure that you have uninstalled Direct CD. If that doesn’t work, follow the instructions at The correct method of uninstalling and reinstalling Easy CD Creator 4.X to do a clean uninstall of any unremoved files.

These instructions are not for WinXP, obviously, because the software should never have been installed on WinXP in the first place. Nevertheless, following the instructions should hopefully fix the problem. :slight_smile:

I got it to quit giving me that message, I didn’t read that link however Inertia but thanks for trying to help me once again.

I’ve been having bad luck lately and I’m glad I signed up for these forums, so far all I’ve had is alot of help. Who can beat that?

What I did was uninstall DirectCD and Adaptec, and after rebooting I installed ONLY adaptec easy cd creator. It still gave me the error when rebooting after installation, but after I uninstalled it it works fine now. :wink: