Having issues with multiple PCI cards

I am having issues with multiple PCI cards. I have a pci fax modem and a pci radeon 9250 graphics card. If I have both of them installed my computer will stop responding. To use my modem card I have to disable my graphics card and still sometimes it will freeze. If I physically remove the modem card I can enable my graphics card and everything works fine. Generally, when both or enabled my computer freezes seconds after launching iTunes or any kind of media program such as windows media player. Every so often it will also freeze when I click file or edit in a program window. Does anybody know of a fix to this issue?

Hi and Welcome!

there are only few options, depending on your mainboard.
At first, check if there is a BIOS update available.
Secondly, you might swap the cards in their slots, maybe this helps.

If not, then replace the modem card by an external one (extremely cheap off ebay). The best are still those with serial connection since they normally do not rely on special drivers and the CPU that does part of the job.

Michael

i have tried different slot combos which didnt work. Whats a good site to upgrade my bios / find out what bios i have that needs upgrading?

make sure the pci vid card is in the top slot

put the modem in one of the bottom slots

turn on plug and play in bios if you are running windows xp or windows 98

make sure you have loaded any motherboard drivers for irq routing

[QUOTE=winjones;1916844]I am having issues with multiple PCI cards. I have a pci fax modem and a pci radeon 9250 graphics card. If I have both of them installed my computer will stop responding. To use my modem card I have to disable my graphics card and still sometimes it will freeze. If I physically remove the modem card I can enable my graphics card and everything works fine. Generally, when both or enabled my computer freezes seconds after launching iTunes or any kind of media program such as windows media player. Every so often it will also freeze when I click file or edit in a program window. Does anybody know of a fix to this issue?[/QUOTE]

I would assume it is a result of IRQ conflicts being assigned to both cards…but also what kinda fax modem card do you have? And what O/S are you using? If you can remove the modem card and GPU work then it can be IRQ conflict but check your BIOS to see if you can see both cards and check your IRQ setting in the BIOS when you boot up and make sure you have the settings for IRQ properly set. Also you should set if you can the IRQ to Auto to see if this will reassign the IRQ to work properly…?

[QUOTE=winjones;1916877]Whats a good site to upgrade my bios / find out what bios i have that needs upgrading?[/QUOTE]The support website of the manufacturer of your mainboard. If you own a Dell or HP computer, then check there at first.
The BIOS version that is present, should be shown upon startup. You might to have press the “Pause” key to have enough time to read that.