Have you ever ran out of fuel?

I mean:

have you ever ran out of fuel on the road ? In the sense: without the possibility of fueling the car before getting the tank empty.

My answer is NO but recently I got very closer to it. The 55-liter-tank of my Mercedes-Benz A-class was less than 1/15 :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I have to answer yes to the question :o but that was a long time ago
back when I was a teenager and didn’t keep an eye on the fuel gage.

:oHi

It has been at least 20 years when i was a teenager like getit29. LIke getit29 i did not keep my i on the fuel gauge much!

NBK

No, Never,Not.

Running out of fuel disturbs sediments in the bottom of the tank. Can lead to costly repairs.

:cool::cool:

i have many times :o fuel gagues don’t mean nothing to me…the dinging when its in the orange…gets my attention…just sometimes when that happens…i’m no where near a gas station:rolleyes:

Once. Winter 2003.
It was a scary experience. 700 miles route from Chicago to NY. Got hit by a snow storm along the way. Exit the highway for the xx times to find gas and none. Almost all gas stations closed their business early due to storm. Then found a bright “Mobil” sign, exit and the engine died right in front of the gas pump. But it’s closed! :sad: I have no other choice, called AAA and the nice lady reminded me everyone needs to stay in the car, under a blanket to keep warm (1 AM and below zero). Ten minutes later a AAA tow car came and saved us. The driver filled our car with 2 gallon of gas from a container and drove us to the nearest gas station that’s still open. Arrived at home, I still need to shovel 4ft snow in the driveway. :doh:

A couple of time…but twice I was pulling into the gas station. The other time I had to walk and get some, glad I had just pulled off the interstate (not to get gas). The gas gauge still said 1/8th of a tank or so.

The gas gauge in my Blazer doesn’t work right unless it’s completely full or dead empty.:a I make sure to fill up about every 250 miles.:iagree:

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2122025]Running out of fuel disturbs sediments in the bottom of the tank. Can lead to costly repairs.
[/QUOTE]

Spot on!

Exactly the same reason I make sure I never run out. :iagree:

Our current car was originally delivered by transporter and it was as empty as they could manage.

Just enough fuel to reach the nearest garage.

We couldn’t drive it until the the licence plates were fitted and I wasn’t too happy until I’d got her filled up.

[B]Wombler[/B]

yes when a teen the worse part is even if you get to a gas station they have no containers to put the gas into.

Arrrr … well enterprising service stations in Oz have incredibly overpriced plastic jerry cans that aren’t allowed to be refilled.

there’s a law here that plastic jerry cans over a certain age aren’t allowed to be refilled, so servo’s just refuse to fill them, unless you buy it from them

yes once, when in was 16, only a few hundred feet from a gas station, but was only a coincidence, i had no idea the gas level was low. :slight_smile:

my grandmother had a late 80’s chevrolet beretta. from the day she bought it the gas level never went under 1/2 tank. she hardly drove. my sister got the car and the gas tank was molded. :slight_smile: apparently it wasnt a problem until my sister let the tank run low too many times.

[QUOTE=debro;2122651]there’s a law here that plastic jerry cans over a certain age aren’t allowed to be refilled, so servo’s just refuse to fill them, unless you buy it from them[/QUOTE]

you still have service stations over there, only ive seen [in recent years] are self-service in the Iowa, Illinois, Missouri region of the USA

[QUOTE=troy512;2122667]you still have service stations over there, only ive seen [in recent years] are self-service in the Iowa, Illinois, Missouri region of the USA[/QUOTE]

Where I live we only have 2 full service stations left and they both have self service pumps
and full service pumps. There is a .10¢ per gallon price difference between the self serve and
full service pumps. Of coarse I’m always going to use the self serve and save the extra .10¢ a
gallon because I can clean my own windshield and check my own oil, tire pressure etc.,etc.,etc.
I see no use in paying them $1.00 to $2.00 extra per fill up just to do it for me not at todays gas
prices anyways. Now if gasoline was something like .35¢ to .45¢ per gallon like back in the good
ol’ late 60’s and early 70’s I wouldn’t mind it the least bit paying the extra .10¢ per gallon to have
it done for me.

[quote=troy512;2122667]
you still have service stations over there, only ive seen [in recent years] are self-service in the Iowa, Illinois, Missouri region of the USA[/quote]

In Oregon, its illegal to pump your own gas. I went up there to visit some family, and I thought it was pretty weird. But they do it to create more jobs.

[QUOTE=debro;2122651]Arrrr … well enterprising service stations in Oz have incredibly overpriced plastic jerry cans that aren’t allowed to be refilled.

there’s a law here that plastic jerry cans over a certain age aren’t allowed to be refilled, so servo’s just refuse to fill them, unless you buy it from them[/QUOTE]

Wow what a rip off!

Sounds just like something they’d like to do here in the UK if they ever got the chance. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[quote=troy512;2122667]

you still have service stations over there, only ive seen [in recent years] are self-service in the Iowa, Illinois, Missouri region of the USA[/quote]

In South Africa all Service Stations are Full service.

but in my Last 2 Cars mini and 1976 WV Passat Ran out of Gass more times than I can Remember :o

This Car Iv had 10 years[B] Never :clap:[/B] Still carry an empty 2 liter plasic Coke bottle in my Boot just in case :bigsmile:
our servise Stations will fill up anything MAN this is AFRICA :wink:

Only once and a 1 1/2 mile walk in the rain made sure i never ran out of petrol again.

I’ve never run out of fuel, but I’ve run out of radiator coolant in the middle of the night, which was no fun at all and the car had to be towed.

[QUOTE=troy512;2122667]you still have service stations over there, only ive seen [in recent years] are self-service in the Iowa, Illinois, Missouri region of the USA[/QUOTE]
They’re “service stations” in name only.
The employees hang out behind bullet-proof, knife-proof cubicles with the cash register.