Have mercy!

Sorry, but this has probably already been asked a zillion times, but how do you spot genuine TY media in the stores on the 50 and 100 disk spindles? Please have mercy on a newbie. I’m sick of ending up with CMC junk.
Thanks.

Buy Fuji that says “Made In Japan”

Originally posted by Tremo

how do you spot genuine TY media
No matter which brand name is printed on the genuine TY media,
here are the signs of its typical look :

1. the ring itself is matte
  2. the sn is imprinted abreast

Oh, btw, the current sale @BB is your tremendous opportunity for beginning of your new way of living :smiley:

Fuji (TY) cdr’s $10… After MIR (100 pack)

Originally posted by Chriso
They have the bulge at the bottom, the tapering into the top, Made in Japan, frosty centre ring and serial printed accross the centre ring.

@Chriso: The cake box that houses the CD’s have a bulge towards the bottom of it, yes. The CD’s should also have a certain light blue cyanine dye visible on the bottom.

Originally posted by terminalvelocd
@Chriso: The cake box that houses the CD’s have a bulge towards the bottom of it, yes. The CD’s should also have a certain light blue cyanine dye visible on the bottom.

But you can’t see the dye without opening the spindle. :slight_smile:

The most obvious way to tell is “made in Japan”. So far, every CDR I’ve had that was made in Japan was TY.

BTW, you guys are always trashing on Imation. Well, I discovered I have some Imation discs made by TY! I’ve got a bunch of the old 4x ones that Big Lots had for $.29 each in jewel boxes about 3 years ago, some are made in Taiwan (the usual CMC), some are made in USA (Ricoh), and some were actually made in Japan and are TY! No wonder my fail rate on Imation is low, but so far even the CMCs are holding up (a lot of them were audio burned at 1X).

Originally posted by dentman42

The most obvious way to tell is “made in Japan”.
So far, every CDR I’ve had that was made in Japan was TY.

Okay, and how do you tell if this media is TY or not ?
There are no visible lables “made in Japan”, yet it’s still TY. :smiley:

Do you get my point ?

Doesn’t TY use foam-plastic as fillout on their spindles like Ritek?
CMC always use small plastic bricks so keep away from those.

Originally posted by BoSkin
[B]Okay, and how do you tell if this media is TY or not ?
There are no visible lables “made in Japan”, yet it’s still TY. :smiley:

Do you get my point ? [/B]

Then again, you can’t really see the hub on those discs either with the spacer in the way…first time I’ve ever seen a generic pack with no kind of label at all though. Even the cheap CMCs I’ve gotten had a country of origin on the UPC label…
(Besides, I said the most OBVIOUS way to tell - and from that pic, it’s not at all obvious that I’m looking at TY. So there. :stuck_out_tongue: )

@Airhead: I’ve gotten one or two spindles of CMC that had the foam spacers too. Makes it difficult to be sure what you’re buying…

(Besides, I said the most OBVIOUS way to tell -
and from that pic, it’s not at all obvious that I’m looking at TY. So there. :stuck_out_tongue: )

The most obviuos way’s already been shown.
And btw, this issue has been discussed @least a dozen times - just make sure to press 4 that.

Airhead: I’ve gotten one or two spindles of CMC that had the foam spacers too. Makes it difficult to be sure what you’re buying…

Damn there goes my theory… All CMC’s I’ve bought have had plastic rings…

In Europe there’s no requirement to have country of origin on the label so companies leave it out. I have yet to see a spindle that says “made in taiwan” or whatever.

The easiest way to know if it’s TY pack is by looking fort “Made in Japan” print or by looking at the spindle package. New TY packages have a black bottom, and a specific way of taking off the cover… I can’t really explain it… just look at the pic and memorize how the spinfle looks like, especially the bottom part :slight_smile:

G’day all,

Notice that:

a) All TY cakebox spindles have a familiar bulge toward the bottom of the cover.
b) All new TY cakebox spindles have a corrugated black base.
c) All TY cakebox spindles have a squarish spindle. Look under the base for a squarish hole.
d) All new TY cakebox spindle covers have a top cover that ends with a curve around the top, and the curve it FLAT at the maximum height, then curves back down.
e) The sides of all TY cakebox spindles DO NOT run straight downwards.
f) Regarding the discs themselves, they’re not further shrinkwrapped inside the cakebox cover.
g) You can take the cover off by twisting it anticlockwise to release the “clips” that attatch themselves to the base. On my 50-pack spindles, there are FOUR “clips” around the bottom of the cover, all at exactly 90-degrees from one another.
h) All TY cakebox spindles have a soft plastic cover, not hard like RiTEK covers.

Hope that helps!

@BoSkin: The photo of the TY cakebox spindle you posted shows all the signs I’ve listed above.

Originally posted by terminalvelocd

@BoSkin: The photo of the TY cakebox spindle you posted shows all the signs I’ve listed above.
X-cellent ! That really makes my day ! :smiley:

Thanks to all those who replied. I think I know what to look for now.

Does TY media always have the serial number printed in the frosty afrea of the inner ring? The reason I ask is a friend just gave me a bunch of blank disks, they have the frosty inner ring but no s/n, and they have the blue-green dye. They are 40x Maxell CDR-Pro, made in Japan. Are these TY?

Originally posted by Tremo

They are 40x Maxell CDR-Pro, made in Japan. Are these TY?
Might be. Goto > upload.cdfreaks.com/Kprobe/MInfo.zip , download MInfo, install and run it to chech the ATIP.

Yep, they’re TY! Thanks.

Originally posted by Airhead
In Europe there’s no requirement to have country of origin on the label so companies leave it out. I have yet to see a spindle that says “made in taiwan” or whatever.

Strange :confused:

Here in Germany you can find the country of origin
on many CD-R packages - slim/jewel cases and spindles.

But some companies don’t do it - TDK for example :frowning:
Most no-name media is without country of origin, too.

You can find the whole range:
Made in Japan, in Germany, in India, in Singapore, in Taiwan,
and… less specific: Made in EU (European Community).

Andy :smiley: