Have Lite-On 811s -- install Nero or MyDvd/PowerDVD?

vbimport

I just bought a Lite-On 811s (I will review in a week or two).

It came with PowerDVD and MyDVD.
Separately, I bought Nero 6.

Do I install:

1. All three (Nero + PowerDvD + MyDvD)
  2. Nero only
  3. PowerDVD + MyDvD
  4. PowerDVD only
  5. MyDvD only

The 811S installation sheet warns not to install multipe software!

What I want to do, eventually:

• Read DvDs (movies or data)
  • Burn DvDs to play movies in a regular TV-attached DvD player
  • Burn data (backup) to DvD media
  • Play back movies on my PC

Well, Nero is to make movies and use the drive for burning.
PowerDVD is to play DVD movie titles.
Dunno what MyDVD is:confused:

I would say to definitely install PowerDVd if you plan to watch DVD’s on the PC through this drive,a nd you will definitely need Nero to burn things onto blank DVDR media.

Originally posted by jonabsoul
[B]I just bought a Lite-On 811s (I will review in a week or two).

It came with PowerDVD and MyDVD.
Separately, I bought Nero 6.

Do I install:

1. All three (Nero + PowerDvD + MyDvD)
  2. Nero only
  3. PowerDVD + MyDvD
  4. PowerDVD only
  5. MyDvD only

The 811S installation sheet warns not to install multipe software!

What I want to do, eventually:

• Read DvDs (movies or data)
  • Burn DvDs to play movies in a regular TV-attached DvD player
  • Burn data (backup) to DvD media
  • Play back movies on my PC [/B]

As stated previously, PowerDVD is for playing DVDs, although you can get freedvd codecs/etc. Powerdvd is one of the most popular DVD players around. Although the version bundled with the drive supports only stereo/dolby surround (2.1) sound, and not 4.1/5.1/6.1/7.1 speaker configs. You need to purchase additional audio packs for that.

I’ve personally used nero for about 5 years now (after eventually converting me from CDRWIN, if anyone still remembers that proggie. Gee I feel old.), previously for CDR/W rather than DVD, but recently bought the same drive.
I was greatly disappointed that the LDW-811 was bundled with “unknown” software, rather than well-known, well respected software like nero. :frowning:

Nero does everything you’ll ever need, and it’s been out for long time, meaning that bugs have been virtually ironed out (excepting new bugs introduced).

Sonic MyDVD got on my bad side immediately as it offered only a wizard to start burning rather than getting straight into the nitty gritty, and no immediately obvious way to get out. I also don’t have the patience to learn new software, just cos it’s bundled with a drive.
The software does what it says it’s supposed to do though.

It really comes down to personal preference.

My personal preference lies with the software that nearly everyone uses. Nero. If problems occur, they can be solved pretty quickly, as many of the factors can be ironed out if people with similar hardware configs and same burner/ same software version are working fine.

Another nifty thing is that programs like DVD shrink can utilise the Nero engine and burn directly to DVD in one operation.
I haven’t tested DVDshrink with sonic mydvd though.

Has anyone tried using only Sonic MYDVD with dvdshrink? Does it work?

I have the same drive with many burning apps installed without problem. Just don’t install more than one packet writer, i.e., InCD. I use both Nero and Roxio to burn cds and dvds. I really haven’t found a use for MyDVD. PowerDVD is great for viewing movie dvds or files. If you’re running XP I would suggest disabling the IMAPI cd recording services as they can cause problems when using other burning apps.

Originally posted by rmunde
I have the same drive with many burning apps installed without problem. Just don’t install more than one packet writer, i.e., InCD. I use both Nero and Roxio to burn cds and dvds. I really haven’t found a use for MyDVD. PowerDVD is great for viewing movie dvds or files. If you’re running XP I would suggest disabling the IMAPI cd recording services as they can cause problems when using other burning apps.

Given the problems with packet writing, and the current prices of CDR/W, I can’t think of many reasons to stick with packet writing instead of multisession, but if you really must.

Convenience of Drag+Drop mixed with inconvenience of wondering where all that stuff you just put on a cd went to, and all the stuff previously on the cd, then transferring it to someone elses computer only to realise you need tha particular package on that computer too. Lol!

Then requiring CD-Diagnostics to access the data.

Mount Rainer was supposed to fix it, but it hasn’t really taken off like they thought it would.

I may be swimming against the current here, but I have had very few problems with packet written disks and exactly none since I purchased a Mt. Rainier compatible drive. Plus with Drag-to_Disc (or DirectCD for that matter) you are not limited to rewriteable media.

Originally posted by debro
[B]Given the problems with packet writing, and the current prices of CDR/W, I can’t think of many reasons to stick with packet writing instead of multisession, but if you really must.

Convenience of Drag+Drop mixed with inconvenience of wondering where all that stuff you just put on a cd went to, and all the stuff previously on the cd, then transferring it to someone elses computer only to realise you need tha particular package on that computer too. Lol!

Then requiring CD-Diagnostics to access the data.

Mount Rainer was supposed to fix it, but it hasn’t really taken off like they thought it would. [/B]