Have hardcore overclockers lost the plot?

After reading Tom Pabst’s latest blurb on the Pentium 4 @ 4.1GHz , I just have to ask,

“Have they lost the plot?”

Overclocking used to be about getting the best bang for the buck. And overclocking sites used to post realistic help, ie which CPU cooler was best and what you could expect from your CPU/VIDEO /etc.

I mean really, vacuum cooling for a CPU!

What next? The next toms hardware blurb will read

Our new pentium 4 @ 20,000GHz and 50,000 feet!" Since vacuum cooling wasn’t doing the job, we decided to launch Toms latest overclocked system into low earth orbit in order to dissipate the heat

At the point where the cooling system costs the price of a small house, I have to really wonder whether it is really in the best interests of his readers to invest in this kind of system, and whether it is just slightly out of most peoples price range.

The question becomes
“Have hardcore overclockers lost the plot?”

Yes , they are complete idiots. For the normal consumer , this is not affordable and highly unstable.

Then again … overclockers are hardly normal customers , are they ?

Thing is though , the new kids on the block (your annoying little 14 year old neighbour) also heard from it and now would like to overclock daddy’s little crappy computer ; so that they can play Doom III at a resolution of 8192x16384@64bits color with a frequency of 200Hz. And that’s… disturbing…

This kind of OC’ing is fun to watch, but irrelevant.

OC’ing is about getting more for the same (or a little more) money.

I had to spent an additional 20 euro’s to OC my system, that’s affordable allright :).

Originally posted by debro
Our new pentium 4 @ 20,000GHz and 50,000 feet!" Since vacuum cooling wasn’t doing the job, we decided to launch Toms latest overclocked system into low earth orbit in order to dissipate the heat

Hahahaha so they are the ones responsible for the global warming! :slight_smile:

I don’t want to spend more than 10% of the original (and quite common) CPU price to overclock 30-50%. If I can overclock 3GHz to 6GHz, then maybe I’ll be willing to spend 30-50% more.

Anyway, there will be 800MHz FSB Pentium 4 next year and to spend too much time and money just to get 4GHz speed a few months ahead of the others is only for a very tiny percentage of hardware enthusiasts.

BTW, the article seems to have been written by Frank Völkel
and Bert Töpelt, not Thomas Pabst himself.

What the average people want and need are simpler and friendlier designs, not such monsters. But still a good and useful article testing the practical limit of the latest generation Pentium 4 processors.

Another good news is that Samsung Electronics is increasing TFT-LCD investment in the latest 5G (fifth generation) and 6G lines, with plans to begin production of 7G substrates in 2004 or 2005. Both the Taiwanese and South Korean TFT-LCD panel manufacturers massively increased production capacity in 2001 and 2002 but there was not great price drop because the demand quadrupled and quintipled while the supply just doubled and tripled. The DigiTimes article is here but I read more detailed reports from South Korean sources. I hope to have a 20-inch LCD monitor for 300 USD.

For me the novelty wore off after the G/F started complaining about the noise :frowning: It’s nice to mess about and get a bit extra but when you’re talking big money, it’s not worth it.

I oerclocked some of my components. Good during the winter when there was no heat, but bad when it was warm outside. Had to open the side of my case and put a house fan right up to it. Annoying, but silent, and worked great. Had to make soem modifications later on by drilling a few extra holes and adding a fan to the roof of the case to keep it from overheating too much.

Originally posted by Kenshin
What the average people want and need are simpler and friendlier designs, not such monsters. But still a good and useful article testing the practical limit of the latest generation Pentium 4 processors.

I doubt whether it is actually a real reflection of what the PIV can do, since if you cool any recent CPU down to that level, you can get extremely high speed as well.

It would make sense though, that if you were gonna run a CPU at that temperature to actually design it to be constructed with the right materials!

At the temperature of -40deg c then they could at least make the contacts out of some superconducting materials!

Did somebody read about SDNS yet? SDNS stands for Sudden Death Northwood Syndrom. It seems that loads of overclocked Northwood P4’s are breaking down all of a sudden. Especially those who run above 1.7 core voltage!

For the time being, Intel replaces this CPU’s under warranty, but that may end soon, since the CPU’s are used in a way that isn’t recommended (non-specified speeds, voltages etc)…

Yeah, I saw the articles at overclockers.com and Ace’s Hardware.

Standard voltage is 1.50, so someone who runs them at more than 1.70 doesn’t deserve anything else!

Originally posted by alexnoe
Standard voltage is 1.50, so someone who runs them at more than 1.70 doesn’t deserve anything else!

I disagree. Intel is releasing new mainboards with features especially included for overclockers. If they don’t want their customers to OC, they should never release such mainboards…

In case people haven’t figured it out by now, OCing is a ego thing. People who buy $500+ cooling system are mostly middle age men w/ nothing better to do than hanging around teenagers in forums, showing off their latest sub zero temperature system that has no advantage over systems you and I are using other than getting unreal scores in 3DMark. If they are telling you it’s a hobby, it’s for fun, they are certified liars.

Buying decent cooling components (SK7 w/ variable speed TT fan for $40) to cool your Tbred 1800+ ($68) is fine, but buying a fridge cooling unit ($$$) to cool your P4 3.06 is not.

… and scene.

I took my t’bird 1g up to about 1.3 and o/c the G/card GF2 GTS when I first got it and aimed for the highest 3d mark I could. I spent ages trying different memory settings etc to get 30-40 extra points. I still have it running at a fairly sedate 1122 mghz. I got bored and processors overtook me at a fair rate of knots, not to mention Graphics cards. I came to realise that whilst it’s nice to get the performance out of the system, paying for new bits is not.
When I upgrade, I’m sure I’ll tweak for the fun of it;) but I’m not going to extremes, there’s no real point.
I suppose it’s cheaper than tweaking a car though :wink:

why bother,the prices now are reasonable .In the past it could make a real difference to squeeze out a few more mhz, but now the speeds of processors compared to price surely gives us all the power we need for home computing.Could you really tell if your chip was running at 2ghz or 2.3ghz?