Have 2 drives, one dedicated for reading and one dedicated for burning?

I heard from someone that burners(CD or DVD) should only be used for burning and that using the laser to read discs will wear it out more and that you should have 2 drives, one the reads and one for burning. Is this true?

Yes.

I’ve hard to believe a “average” user will wear out the laser by reading (and burning).

My BenQ has done more then 250 burns and at least 2x that many “reads” but still in top condition.
BTW, with MCSE it’s also a damn fast reader. :slight_smile:

That’s a new one on me. Lots of folks only have one drive.

In my opinion why run the risk of wearing out the laser in a dvd burner. :wink: Dvdroms/combos are cheap enough to use and replace. :slight_smile:

so are burners

You can lengthen the DVD burner’s lifespan by limiting its read speed to somewhere around 6X-8X using Nero DriveSpeed.Doing so would also reduce the operation noise creating a more quiet environment.

If you are ripping about 100DVDs a year, you certainly will harm your drive.
A good DVD-Rom cost near nothing and should be able to disburden your DVD-Recorder.

The BenQ 1640 + MCSE is even faster! :stuck_out_tongue:

But I have to admit, that the BenQ is a better reader than the Aopen, it’s nearly always a few seconds faster and has also ripped some DVDs which my DVD-Rom couldn’t handle.
Though I use my Aopen 1648AAP, because I want to keep my Benq’s writing quality.

When the price of CD/DVD Writers were 5-15x the price of a ROM drive, then sure it made sense. But seeing as price difference is usually no more than 2-4x (and even then the difference is small).

Most people (here) tend to get 2 or more different writers, what one drive is weak on the other drive excels with (and vice-versa). ie My Philips(Benq firmware) excels at +R media but is a little weaker with -R media, my LG 4163B is better with -R media than +R and it also writes DVD-RAM. So I end up with the best of both worlds.

The only other reasons up until recently have been that some rom drives were faster readers and could read copy protections better, now this is not really the case as writer now tend to excel in these areas too.

Oh come on now? :confused: You must have mis-typed.

I built a computer last year for a relative that has a extensive dvd movie collection. They burned out their Liteon combo cdrw/dvd-rom after ripping over 200 dvd discs. It died a few days after the warranty ran out. But their Pioneer 107D drive is still going strong!!! I replaced their Liteon with a used TOSHIBA 1712 drive that I got off Ebay and the drive rips plenty fast with the no read speed limit hack. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

imo, if you already have a cd writer, then theres no point to getting a DVD-ROM. Say youre building a new computer and need a new cdwriter, then you might as well get a cdwriter/dvd-rom combo.

thats exactly my situation… i never thought of getting a dvd-rom just for dvd ripping/reading, but now that im buying a new computer and im in need of a new cdwriter (selling my old one with my old computer), i figured the combo is only $13 more.

sorry to get off topic, but whats a good cdrw/dvd-rom combo that will be used for cd writing and dvd ripping? in Canada, NCIX is my go to store, and they only have a liteon and LG, so im leaning towards the LG 4521b 52x cdrw/16x dvd-rom combo. Will that be good for DVD ripping?

I meant 1000…sorry…

I have to add, that i had never any broken drive myself.
Some of my friends complained about broken ones, and some here in the community.

Though I find it useful to have more than one drive for the same job.
I already saw some DVDs striking in my DVD-Rom but working in my Benq 1640 DVD-Writer and the other way round.

Also, a dedicated CD-Writer will perform better on CDs than a DVD-Writer does…special hardware for their special job.

Broken drives are usually from heavy handed people constantly pushing the tray in instead of using the button I have have found. I have watched a friend go through several drives because of this.

I’ve never brought myself to understand why people push the try instead of pushing the button? I would’ve thought that pushing the button would take less effort? :iagree:

I would agree that this adds additional wear and tear. Plextor, for one, mentions this in their owner’s manual and indicates the eject button is preferred.

I have seen a couple of sources indicate that the normal life for a burner is around 15,000 hours of “on” time.

thinking the same. :iagree:

Besides, with “broken” I actually meant “defect”.

I broke an OEM drive in my last computer several years ago by pushing the tray instead of simply hitting the button. Fortunately I had an in house warranty and they came to the house & replaced it with no charge. But it taught me a lesson. :bigsmile:

My LiteOn 832s has a life of 70,000 hours, which would be over eight years at 24 hours a day.
Don’t know about my BEnQ 1620…

yeah my BenQ 1620 died after 1 1/2 months

By the time the drive breaks, it’s outdated anyway. With these short product cycles, i wouldn’t worry about it. One drive is fine, just be prepared to upgrade it when needed. The only optical drive I ever wore out was an 8x CD-ROM after 4 years.