Hauppauge HVR-950q Capturing Help!

vbimport

Here’s my dilemma. I have a Hauppauge HVR-950Q. I’m trying to capture videos off my VCR, so i can finally get rid of these old VHS tapes.

The WinTV capture software sucks because the quality for what i need is too low and i can’t adjust it.

I’ve had very little luck with VirtualDub, the video quality is crap (wavy lines on the edges) and i get tons of dropped frames.

I can’t seem to get Ulead MovieFactory 6 OR Ulead Videostudio 11 to use the capture device. Both keep throwing a ‘cannot connect to device’ error.

I’ve updated to the latest drivers from Hauppauge and still the same issues. I’ve also use the hcwclean tool and re-installed the drivers, both to no avail…

I’ve been searching but haven’t found an answer to the errors or any other capture software that may work with this little unit.

I’m running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I’ve got a 2.3ghz Turion x2 with 4GB of RAM, and a 500GB hard drive. Video card is a Radeon X1250. Note this is a notebook, CPU is already maxed and i obviously can’t switch out my video card.

I’m wondering if it’s a Win7 issue, maybe installing XP in a new partition would work. i dunno. Figure that’s my last resort if i can’t get things to work in 7…

Does Windows Media Center recognize the card? I use Media Center to capture tv now and again, since I don’t like the Cyberlink software that came with my ATI capture card. I found this page for Windows Media Center support for your device: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hvr950q.html

Unfortunately, Media Center captures in .wtv files, which virtually nothing works with. You can right click on the file and convert to dvr-ms format with no loss of quality. I’m not sure what format you want as a final product. Since I own VideoReDo TV Suite, I can convert either .wtv or dvr-ms files to mpeg2 or dvd-video without compromising the quality of the video.

DVRMSToolbox was the program I used to use on dvr-ms files when I was running Vista. Don’t know if it will run on Win 7 or not, but it is free to download and use. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVRMSToolbox

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2588687]Does Windows Media Center recognize the card? I use Media Center to capture tv now and again, since I don’t like the Cyberlink software that came with my ATI capture card. I found this page for Windows Media Center support for your device: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hvr950q.html

Unfortunately, Media Center captures in .wtv files, which virtually nothing works with. You can right click on the file and convert to dvr-ms format with no loss of quality. I’m not sure what format you want as a final product. Since I own VideoReDo TV Suite, I can convert either .wtv or dvr-ms files to mpeg2 or dvd-video without compromising the quality of the video.

DVRMSToolbox was the program I used to use on dvr-ms files. It is free to download and use.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply, Media Center sees, and uses the device perfectly fine actually. I’m not sure what gives with the other applications, maybe them not being native 64 bit is the problem. The finished product would be in h264/ac3 format. That’s the standard i’ve used for all my DVD rips and for the videos i captured from my DV camcorder. Easy enough to run DVD flick or something like that if the family wants a copy of the home movies.

I’ve looked up the specs for the WTV format, it may suffice in regards to quality and that conversion tool you mentioned should help. I may just hook up the VCR via coax (since i can’t get RCA to work via MCE) and try my luck on a test recording on MCE and see how it looks.

Thanks!

are you sure the problem isnt with your vcr or tape? I have two vcrs set up to display video and/or capture from. Capturing from a spendy standard jvc vhs to dvd player, my video is so so. Capturing from my good JVC S-VHS unit, the video is great. There is a lot involved in capturing video. The folks that do a lot of it insist on using a high quality vcr, and a tbc. My JVC (S-VHS) has minimal TBC functionality built in…