Hate Germs? Then You'll Want a Dishwasher-Safe Keyboard

vbimport

At the HIMSS Healthcare Show in New Orleans yesterday, Seal Shield Corporation announced a new family of hygienically appealing products the company says will combat the spread of infection and simplify cleaning protocols in hospitals.

Story: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2098662,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532

:cool: :cool:

Yeah, there must be a lot of germs on mice / keyboards. I’m the only one who touches my PCs…so I only get my own germs back.

But public PCs… :eek:

We live in an overly antiseptic world these days. A couple of years ago I read that the drive to keep ourselves ultra-clean in body and food/water was actually making children less resistant to common bugs. The article said that all that mucking about in the dirt that kids did in the 50s and 60s (and earlier) actually helped build up immunity to common intestinal and skin germs.

I still shower morning and night and I am scrupulously clean when preparing food…perhaps why my tummy hurts! :wink:

:iagree:

I shower morning & night, and wash my hands for dinner (and after catching public transport).

Snacks don’t warrant clean hands :stuck_out_tongue:

I can however see where this comes in handy, around the technologically incompetent, like my Gf.

I had to ban her from my Computer Room, after she took a wet, soapy rag to my monitors & PC’s, while they were operating, … to clean the dust off :eek::eek::eek:

She’s the sort of person that WOULD put a keyboard though a dishwasher.

I’m gonna try that once i get my hands on an old keyboard. I wonder how much of the keyboard will survive the dishwashers’ “really really really dirty dish” setting. :slight_smile:

Hahahahahaha!!! :bigsmile: :iagree: :bigsmile:

This reminds of that guy on Youtube that puts things in blenders, like Ipods…
I think he calls his clips “Will it Blend?”

Yeah I don’t think it will survive for very long. I once disabled a few keys by spilling a gin & tonic on the keyboard. The lemon juice ate right through the membrane contact pads. :eek:

Seriously though, keyboards are no worse than other things like door handles and patient’s notes folders for spreading germs. It’s all on your hands - hence the emphasis on washing them as a central tenet of infection control.

Exactly! :iagree: A few weeks ago I became quite cross with a youngster working at my local Mc#@@#@…Why? Well, because I ordered a hot apple pie and she grabbed the thing out of the warmer without tongs, gloves or anything. This is at a restaurant that prides itself on hygiene! Needless to say that I tried to nicely, gently, to tell her what she had done wrong. When she did the “teenage shrug” and shot me the “look of death” I quite strongly told her to keep the apple pie and change her attitude. I didn’t report her…I didn’t want her to get the sack…but, gee, I was tempted! :a

Those clips are awesome. One of his latest is blending a couple of glow sticks in a blender. Was really cool! :slight_smile: