Has your community banned smoking in public spaces?

They have in Colorado. Now the entire state is “smoke free” except in certain places such as cigar bars, DIA international airport smoking lounges and oddly…gambling parlors. :rolleyes: Even if there is a public function outdoors, you must stand 50 feet away from the seating areas.

I used to smoke, but not any more, so, I kind of like being able to go out and not come home smelling like a cigarette. But, I also think it was unfair to businesses that risked investment, suddenly to have the rules of the game change.

A local bowling alley had put in place a $50,000 ventilation system to keep the air clean, but, his customers still have to go outside to smoke. Still another local bar, has set up closed circuit TV, to keep an eye out on the street for approaching police. They smoke, even the waitresses, until they see a cop. :cop:

How do you feel about this new trend in society? Is second hand smoke truly a public health hazard or have the rising numbers of non-smokers just finally got big enough to push their weight around? How has it affected your local bars and restaurants?

We’re slowly getting there here in England.

Right now, it’s banned in some places where food is served, but it’s going to be law soon I think.

It’s banned in malls, some restaurants and most workplaces here currently, but as I said, it’s only a matter of time. At the moment, you can smoke in pubs, but that’s gonna kill trade when they ban it everywhere.

It would be nice if a balance could be struck which would please both, but I don’t think that’s gonna happen.

I see a lot of places now are virtually empty of customers, where before people would flock there for a coffee etc.

Where I live this has been in effect for the last couple of years. They are even talking about banning smoking outside everywhere which is ridiculous imo.:frowning: Linky “Effective January 1, 2008 all public places will be smoke-free”.

Many places around where I live in Texas are smoke-free, something I’m quite thankful for, as I’m allergic to second-hand cigarette smoke in high doses. It makes a real difference, as the smoke gets into food, curtains, walls, plastic, about everything! My aunt sometimes sends us food on the weekends (she smokes heavily), and anytime she sends a cake or something, I take one bite of the food and taste smoke in it, something that almost makes me nauseous. Needless to say, I can’t eat a bite and have to spit the food out. I even kissed a woman (at the time we seemed ‘serious’) one time that I didn’t know smoked (you couldn’t smell it on her or nothing) and that one kiss made me sick to my stomach for 3 days, and I could hardly eat or get around without feeling the urge to vomit, with the stomach symptoms not being unlike a stomach flu.

Certainly, I also hate smelling like a cigarette, because it is so difficult to ‘air out’ clothing to get rid of the smoke. On a related note, if a business has to convert its facilities to non-smoking, they should get some kind of major tax break for the year in which they do it, so they recoup some of the $$ from their improvements.

Wow, Quema! That must be horrible :frowning:

About the public places thing…where establishments are concerned (bars, restaurants), I think it should be up to the proprietor whether s/he wants to run a smoking/non-smoking establishment…I don’t think it should be forced upon them either way.

good thing for me …and for you…I dont’ smoke at all…

but in regards to the topic…
nothing is worse than going to a business or resutrant…and having to walk by employees at the front standing by the doors smoking one after another…so by the time i get inside i smell like a cigarette …ewwwwww

i’m not against people smoking…but please be considerate of us NONsmokers…and watch where your smoke is going…

50 feet is too close yet. Make that please 50 meters.

On parks, on the streets, everywhere, I see adults, and even parents, smoking within 50 centimeters from babies. As recently as on Sept. 2, there were several people, all males at first but later some females added, were smoking where there were at least three children of under age 6. It was a small “Cafe” (a type of online web community very popular in South Korea) offline party. Underground, poor ventilation. I AM against people smoking regardless of the fact some of them may smoke only under their own blankets in which case there is really no reason to advertise or insist on the right to smoke since nobody can really prohibit it.

Smoking is banned in all public areas here in Scotland.
This includes pubs, clubs, eating places, places of work, even in your own car if you use it for work.
I don’t smoke anyway.

I forgot to leave my input about impact on public establishments…

I will say I can sympathize with having to pay a lot of money for a new ventilation system, separate facilities in the same place for smokers, etc. (there are places like this in TX too), and given the fact I applaud the fact there are more and more non-smoking establishments with me being a non-smoker, I can understand well what it feels like having something forced upon you, yet you may not see any return on your investment.

Aside from that, I am happy this movement is afoot, since I can now go into a bowling alley to bowl, with no concern of being assaulted by cigarette smoke, nor coughing and having my eyes water and burn from the smoke.

Wow, I missed that too. Banned in your own car in Scotland? Public places I see and understand, but your own vehicle? hmmm… :doh:

:eek:

Yep, its banned for good and for real. They even had Sean Penn fined for smoking at Toronto film festival. $ 600, hopefully american. :eek: :bigsmile:

Probably Dee means if you have a company car. In other words, you don’t own it, it’s provided by your workplace.

However, along the same lines, of how far can your company reach out to your personal life. A news program recently reported that an owner of a privately owned company, created a new company policy, that if you worked for him, you cannot smoke period! Even after you left the company property, you were not allowed to smoke, not even in the privacy of your own home. He said it affected your performance at the workplace and also increased health insurance costs for his company. In the US, if you get sick-you need insurance, often it is subsidized by your company, as it is very expensive to get. Without it, you cannot get proper care from medical facilities.

Two ladies were terminated, because they did not quit, one had worked there for over 10 years. She thought she could win a legal battle and get her job back…she lost.

Edit: Looks like it is catching on, a Google search “Smoking policy fired” turned up several results. Here’s one.

Here less and less places allow it, yesterday a few friends and me went into a cafe, forutnatly they had a special downstairs area where we could smoke, it was well venitlated, so the smoke did not drift upstairs. Pubs still let us, but apparently it will be banned completely in pubs and cafes etc.

Personally its inconveniant to me, but to be honest I can fully understand why the laws are being made. I see it as personal choice, but I don’t think it fair for me or anybody else to force it on others.

That can work both ways too though, I think…which is why I said something which benefits both camps would be nice. :slight_smile:

There was even a Boston Legal episode on this, where James Spader defended an employee who smoked, yet was excellent at her job (she worked at a privately owned mortgage firm). He also lost the case, although the episode did go to some length to point out the options to help smokers quit, something not available before (the only option used to be “cold turkey,” with the shakes, shattered nerves and all). It is well-documented cigarettes have additives to make them more addictive than they were in the past, also, but that’s a little o/t

At the end of the day (and I think this applies to most western countries), it your company states it in their terms and conditions of working for them, then you either have to abide by it or find another job.
Think about it this way, you wou oppose the same rules if it applied to crack cocaine?
Where I work it is theoretically impossible to smoke, as you can’t smoke in the building, but you are not allowed out of the building while you are working as you are no longer insured.
It does not stop a lot of smokers, but soon you cannot smoke outside if the local council has anything to do with it, so they will have a choice of either
quitting or being fined on a daily basis.

The same is also in Italy: in any public place is prohibited to smoke. However, I don’t know about cars :bigsmile:

Moreover, any public place must exhibits a panel showing “no smoking”. Who don’t have this panel risk a penalty

I am impressed. :bow:

I had to do some checking on the car owning part.
You may smoke in a private vehicle. If however this private vehicle is also used to conduct your daily work, then you may not smoke in it. The reasoning is, the nicotine stains are carcinogenic, and your workmates may come into contact with those nicotine stains. In the case of a truck driver who owns his truck. The truck has to be serviced, and the mechanic will also come into contact with those stains.

This law will come into force in the rest of the UK next year i believe.