Has there been a noticeable global dropout in DVDR media quality in recent years?

Well:

I don’t think you have enough choices in your poll…The only choices are you agree there is a decline or you don’t have a clue about media.

:iagree:

id say certain brands and makers have had drops in quality but others have gone up in quality thats my 2 pence anyways :slight_smile:

Agreed - I won’t vote. :disagree:

I agree, I think the poll needs more choices.

@Kweldood - If you’d like choices added, then that can be done by DrageMester or myself.

Will vote when more choices added.

Exactly. Even though I voted yes, there has been a drop in quality, look at the exceptions like Optodisc. 4x Optodisc was crap. 8x Optodisc was hit or miss. 16x Optodisc seems to be something you can actually rely on. And we all know about 8x Ritek vs. 16x Ritek. 16x TY doesn’t burn as well, but it supposedly has better bonding and other features which speak well to it’s overall longevity. Verbatims are still doing OK, and for some, 16x Verbies burn equally well if not better than their 8x counterparts. Heck, even Princo has improved with 16x media. And now you have fake 16x media from Dynex, Playo, and NexxTech that burns well enough to actually scan like the media it’s impersonating. So in fact, what you’re seeing with 16x media is a maturation of the market, and an evening out of quality, where there aren’t so many wide swings in reliability as there used to be. It’s really hard to find completely crappy 16x media, whereas there was lots of it in the 2x through 8x days.

Wrong set of answers.

The fact that 16x is more stressfull on the drives as 4x hasn’t been taken into account.
ANd then there is allways the case of how good do drive support the media.
It seems that most new drives aren’t as good supporting as they should !

dakhaas-

Obviously 16x will put more stress on the drive, as it’s working harder. But, most people aren’t going to have a drive for more than a few years anyways. I have only had one drive fail in my time using it, and it took 3 years and was a shitty drive (micro advantage)

IMO, most drives are made alot better now and there is a better selection of good drives. Just look at most drives, about 60% of drive brands have very good quality drives. NEC, Samsung, Plextor, Benq, Pioneer, Lite-On, LG, etc. Theres a number of good drives to choose from nowerdays, couldn’t say the same when dvd drives were fairly new.

As far as disc quality going down in recent years, i don’t agree 100%. While some companies have gone down as far as quality, alot have gone up in quality. I will say though, that IMO most 16x discs don’t burn as good as alot of the 8x discs i use. Not saying there bad quality, but the 8x ty’s and verbs i use give me a little bit better disc quality scans than ty and verb 16x’s, same with a few other companies i’ve tried.

Nah, there’s no added stress whatsoever into the matter. I always burn at 8x maximum regardless of the media’s speed.

Older 8x media > Newer 16x media.

That simple.

Voted in the poll. :stuck_out_tongue:

The results are in and they are staggeringly lopsided… :smiley:

I’d love to see the results if there was no such thing as quality scanning and only options were to TRT media and actually use it.

Also did 900 people vote? :open_mouth:

Nice that you believe this. But the quality is allready dropping again because of cost saving. Support is getting screwed and components quality has dropped.

Also if faster is better then explain why my plextor 24/10/40TA is live and kicking and burning excellent disc’s and has burned more disc’s in total as the 3 Lite On’s I’ve had in the same time ! Which all together aren’t as lasting as long as the plextor. Infact my Philips 3610 which is known to be a terrible cd-r writer and was a 2x writer lasted longer and burned more disc’s as 2 of the 3 lite on’s. :eek: So much for new is better.

Also see those last c’t results and you can see that most dvd writers aren’t burning as good as the models that were released a year ago ! And it’s not a batch fluctuation seeing this behaviour repeated in some other magazine tests were they actually took some of the older 16x drives a long which then performed best ! Offcourse there is the fact that if they would have selected different media then the outcome might have been different.

With stress I mend the stress during the recording resulting that every small step will have more influence on the burn process. I think I was not clear earlier, which was my mistake. :o

As far as disc quality going down in recent years, i don’t agree 100%. While some companies have gone down as far as quality, alot have gone up in quality. I will say though, that IMO most 16x discs don’t burn as good as alot of the 8x discs i use. Not saying there bad quality, but the 8x ty’s and verbs i use give me a little bit better disc quality scans than ty and verb 16x’s, same with a few other companies i’ve tried.

Again you can’t tell. Like I said above the price cutting on components and firmware support also had a mayor influence. If you see the blank media scans of CMC 8x and 16x or for TY and you see that the 16x is supposed to be better constructed then why do the burn results of that 8x media look much better even if you burn them at the same speed ? Yep support and components are going down.

and what about the following for some people who are only judging there home made scans.

Compare RITEKG05 with Riteks 16x media.
Most F1’s burn worse as G05’s However when it comes to stability I think it’s clear. So 8x was better ??? Even if you can not read that disc back anymore. :bigsmile: (Okay that was a very mean argument ! )
And for Ritek I can also fill in a lot of honkong/chinese compannies that borrow codes which have much better 16x media as 8x. Also I can do it the other way arround and name much 8x or lower media that burns better.

So like I said to many parameters that influence the outcome of this one which makes it impossible to make a good fair conclusion !

That’s also my point of view. :iagree:

[OT]
@[B]dakhaas[/B]: IMO to avoid confusion you need to start making a distinction between “to” and “too” :wink:
Do you have many parameters to talk to? :bigsmile: (no offence intended, my friend, it’s just kidding :flower: )
[/OT]