Has the internet destroyed television archiving?

Before the dawn of the internet, and indeed clonable copies of DVDs, the only real way to get content of say concerts or television broadcasts was asking around and praying someone had a copy of what you wanted and then to produce a second generation copy from VHS to VHS. Time consuming and the quality simply wasn’t good.

Then, roughly the same time as the internet dawned, the DVD format emerged, resulting in the first consumer orientated digital format, and now everyone made the leap from VHS to DVD.

Now, you can get rare footage of whatever you want and upload it via the internet to millions of potential downloaders / viewers for future use - And what now has become a television archive has become the people’s archive.

True, I wouldn’t have been able to have got the television broadcast of “Concert Por Tolerance” (1995) if it wasn’t for the internet or anything like that, but many people, myself included, are now dropping buying DVDs in favour of buying them.

There is no… Satisfaction, dare I say it of knowing that you have a small television archive full of video tapes and DVDs and then knowing that what you thought scarce content is now available on the internet. I copied onto DVD some election footage from 1997 / 2001, and no doubt such content will be available on YouTube.

Kinda defeats the point eh? Add your input.

Not really DVD will be here long after the internet. Just like DVD was suppose to replace CDs but CDs are still around and there are vinyls and tape still floating around so nothing is completely gone or replaced. It is only up to the person watching the media to decide what to keep and what to keep. Put this way when you have no internet connection what would you do? Watch your media that you have copied or backup to your media formats or computer. So the claim internet archiving is only possible when you have internet access and when you don’t the internet has no use at that point. So you have to remember not everyone has internet and poverty prevents people from getting affordable internet until that is achieved true internet achiving will be possible.

Coolcolors, I think you may have missed my point or at least I wasn’t clear enough, either way I do apologise.

It’s a good answer but it wasn’t what I meant. I didn’t suggest internet archiving is only possible with internet connection - It bares no relevance to what I actually said. Indeed, many people feel good about having rare content recorded on VHS of concerts, news, etc - But if someone uploads this to the internet, there is no satisfaction it no longer really becomes an archive, does it?

By all means back up to a DVD, that’s fine, I just feel making copies… Sort of ruins the feel of an archive.

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2583308]Before the dawn of the internet, and indeed clonable copies of DVDs, the only real way to get content of say concerts or television broadcasts was asking around and praying someone had a copy of what you wanted and then to produce a second generation copy from VHS to VHS. Time consuming and the quality simply wasn’t good. [/QUOTE]
I would like to go a step further back & mention Super 8 film.

An archive is something that is preserved. If that is done on the internet then great. It is just as special to those that want to watch it.
Take many old Tonight Show broadcasts of Johnny Carson. My understanding is many were filmed on silver nitrate film & improperly "archived " (stored) by the studio. They disentigrated in their canisters.
I would enjoy seeing some of these.
A lot of movies can be pretty hard to find & are not available for download from the internet. (That would be legal paid for download).
I have a VHS of " A Boy Ten Feet Tall " .I could not find it on DVD or the internet. The UK relase was “Sammy Going South” . Try finding that.
I also managed to get a copy of “The Terror of Tiny Town” . I did see it “available” on DVD but it was always out of stock.
So there are many "archives " still not available on the internet.

I did find “Concert Por Tolerance” on YouTube . I just listend to a few minutes. I don’t know if it was the 1995 one. I will check it out better when I have more time.

I know of one good movie made in the 70’s called “Light Years” that I liked but never came to DVD format. That was a tragedy for this movie.

I do apologise for my late reply, Internet Explorer is playing up again :doh:

What I meant was, realistically with the advent of media enclosures hard drives with boggling sizes, there isn’t any need to actually have tapes / DVDs / Any other type of storage medium if they can be digitalised and bunged onto a hard drive. That’s what I mean. I recently got an AVI Rip of The Room, a film from 2003, a rip so good I couldn’t distinguish from the original.

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2584184]I do apologise for my late reply, Internet Explorer is playing up again :doh:

What I meant was, realistically with the advent of media enclosures hard drives with boggling sizes, there isn’t any need to actually have tapes / DVDs / Any other type of storage medium if they can be digitalised and bunged onto a hard drive. That’s what I mean. I recently got an AVI Rip of The Room, a film from 2003, a rip so good I couldn’t distinguish from the original.[/QUOTE]

With format was it before??? missing to much details to know what your referring to or talking about. And “recently got” - something you didn’t do well then that means we should be talking about it cause you don’t own or have the source. As with anything hardware will fail or media will break. Nothing is forever it is how you store or take care of the hardware or store the media that will determine how long it last.