Has the "freeware" element of DVD Fab disappeared?

Hi,
Have successfully been ripping DVDs with the “free” tool in DVD Fab and converting with other software for mobile devices.
However last night DVD Fab is no longer allowing DVDs to be read.
getting the message -
“To open this DVD disc, you need to buy or renew DVDFab “DVD Copy”, or you can wait for new version of DVDFab HD Decrypter”
Can anyone please help or recommend another free ripper?
Note I have tried the latest 8.2.1.2 version
Cheers
G.

When you install ‘the next version’, the first screen that appears lists a variety of services - it’s almost like an advertisement - easily skipped past or ignored.

[B]But it’s really important. [/B]

These choices-of-services are checkbox-able. Read that carefully - you’ll see most of those are listed as “trial”.

The very last entry is “free”.

It sounds like you made a choice to use “Trial” and now it’s letting you know that your choice is now expired.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2655776]It sounds like you made a choice to use “Trial” and now it’s letting you know that your choice is now expired.[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify that further, even if that’s the case, the free element of the program (DVDFab HD Decrypter) will still function correctly.

With regard to ripping, the only difference between the freeware component and the fully registered one is that the decryption updates for the free version are slightly behind the registered one.

So people have to wait slightly longer for the latest protection updates.

Oh and welcome to the forums gingerkaratejoe. :flower:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Cheers Guys.

Any idea how to get the “choice” box back up?

[QUOTE=gingerkaratejoe;2655784]Cheers Guys.

Any idea how to get the “choice” box back up?[/QUOTE]

My pleasure and thanks also to Christine for her input.

The ‘choice’ box referred to should appear automatically every time you open the program.

So if you shut the program down and reopen it, the box should appear.

If that’s not happening then reboot the PC and try again.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Hi,

Got the initial screen up, hit question mark in top right.

The HD decrypt looks ok but still having problems opening discs. :sad:

Currently trying R2 version of Women In Black and Disc 2 of Falling Skies Series 1

Cheers
G.

[QUOTE=gingerkaratejoe;2655787]Hi,

Got the initial screen up, hit question mark in top right.

The HD decrypt looks ok but still having problems opening discs. :sad:

Currently trying R2 version of Women In Black and Disc 2 of Falling Skies Series 1

Cheers
G.[/QUOTE]

Those are both recent titles but have been out for a few months now.

Try the latest version of DVDFab here and see how you get on.

[B]Wombler[/B]

(I think you’ve got the latest 8.212 version already installed, yes?)

One more note on that “choice of services” opening window - there is a DO NOT SHOW AGAIN checkbox in the lowest left corner. Once I learned how to make the correct choice (and yes, your experience with ‘expired’ comes as first-hand experience by me), then DO NOT SHOW AGAIN saved me from the Nag Screen.

Not that I know how to retrieve it once I’ve checked it - !! I suppose there’s a Help or an Option function I might explore… alas…

If you’re still getting a failure-to-read, then it’s probably a copy-protect issue that perhaps the next version will solve.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2655796](I think you’ve got the latest 8.212 version already installed, yes?)
[/QUOTE]

Oops, I missed that bit. :o

[B]@gingerkaratejoe [/B]- What exactly happens when you try to rip these discs?

[B]Wombler[/B]

Latest version works with Falling Skies (Only downloaded new version this morning)
The woman In Black has the same pop up message -
“To open this DVD disc, you need to buy or renew DVDFab “DVD Copy”, or you can wait for new version of DVDFab HD Decrypter”

Think Wombler is correct in that the free version may be behind the full version as far as encryption is concerned.

Thanks for your help.

G.

[QUOTE=gingerkaratejoe;2655801]Latest version works with Falling Skies (Only downloaded new version this morning)
The woman In Black has the same pop up message -

Think Wombler is correct in that the free version may be behind the full version as far as encryption is concerned.

Thanks for your help.

G.[/QUOTE]

I’m surprised to hear this as I thought today’s release would have included this one.

Official policy is that they’re normally only 30-60 days behind and this is longer than that which is why I’m surprised.

I’m afraid you’ll have to wait for an update to the free version as we’d suspected.

[B]Wombler[/B]