Has my hard drive gone bad?

vbimport

I have 2 hard drives. The one on my secondary master makes a random clicking noise. I restarted my computer and I enabed this S.M.A.R.T. opinion thats in the BIOS. It reported that the status was bad and I needed to replace it. I ran disk check and asked it to fix any errors ( which Ihad to restart my computer again ) and the S.M.A.R.T. reported no errors and that the status was ok. So has my hard drive gone bad?

Sounds like your HD is at it’s last…
All i know for sure is that IBMs dothat sound until they click for one last time… so if you own an IBM hd this MIGHT be the case…
Try looking for a second opinion (use some other tool to check the drive), although these tools can only check the integrity of your drive but not actualy it’s working condition…
Hope that’s not the case…

My Win2K HD clicked, but I opened the case and re-attached my IDE ribbons (took them off, then put them back on) and now it works fine.

I was using some sort of Quatum, I think. It was a “fireball” something, but I don’t know for sure. My computer is pretty chaotic, it has four ATA/100 harddrives (though not all avaiable at the same time) and a DVD-ROM and Writer (both lite-ons). Hey, I’m just glad it works. I just know I broke some sort of law in phsyics putting it together.

Originally posted by sabwafare2001
I have 2 hard drives. The one on my secondary master makes a random clicking noise. I restarted my computer and I enabed this S.M.A.R.T. opinion thats in the BIOS. It reported that the status was bad and I needed to replace it. I ran disk check and asked it to fix any errors ( which Ihad to restart my computer again ) and the S.M.A.R.T. reported no errors and that the status was ok. So has my hard drive gone bad?

Like Jon Jewel posted, it’s most likely the cable. My new HDD did that as well, freshly installed. Once I replaced the existing 40 conductor cable with a new 80-conductor cable , everything went fine.

BUT if it makes a nasty sound like DeCoN said, then it usually means trouble. Backup ASAP and prepare for the worst.

The one on my secondary master makes a random clicking noise.

If it’s an IBM and if it’s clicking, it’s about to take a long walk. Had an IBM drive that started making clicking noises after about 4 months of use.

It took a lot of persuasion to exchange the drive for another brand, though the dealer was willing to give me another IBM HDD as replacement.

I have stayed cleared of IBM since then. There was quite a fuss about some IBM 7200 rpm disks going bad recently, in a major way.