Has Mayor Bloomberg gone too far?

It looks like Mayor Bloomberg of New York City needs to get his priorities in order. With Wall Street circling the drain and budget deficits running out of control, he wants to now legislate the salt content of food! Between him and Gov. Paterson it won’t be long before they pass a law telling the citizens of New York how many squares of toilet paper you can use to wipe your a$$ with after taking a dump. When are the people of New York going to say enough of this nanny state garbage? Here’s a link to the full article: Click Here

If people are too stupid to do it for themselves … why can’t the government show some initiative & lower the salt content of food.
It’s not like the mayors banning salt :iagree:

But New Yorkers are generally well educated and know their nutrition info better anyway … it’s the rest of the country that needs it.

It seems logical to me.
Salt is bad for you. if you’re buying processed foods, you can’t remove the salt already added, but if there was no salt added by the company who makes the processed foods, the customer can add the salt themselves. Everyone wins.

Indeed; one persons’s nanny state is another’s health protection perspective, and the days are gone when we could let the commercial interests of supermarkets decide what is safe for us.

Whether or not anyone believes it’s worthwhile to indirectly help your fellow citizens to improve their prospects of life quality, it’s a no-brainer that the downstream healthcare costs of treating high blood pressure and its consequences would far outweigh the likely cost of implementing this legislation.

[quote=Dee-27;2208187]Salt is bad for you.[/quote] No, salt is [I]essential[/I] for you, but like with most other things, [I]too much[/I] salt is bad for you. :smiley:

Where does all this baby sitting of the population stop then? Are salt shakers going to be made illegal in restaurants? Are salt packets going to be banned? Are grocery stores going to ration salt sales? What will they try and enforce next? Over weight people get food rationing cards? Before long we will all be eating the same bland tasting green goo that is sanctioned by the State. If he gets his way manufacturers will have to prepare low sodium food specifically for the NYC market and we all know where that leads… higher prices for the food sold there. What is next? Will he target McDonald’s as being as bad as the cigarette companies?

IMO, these politicians need to get out of people’s personal lives and quit being our baby sitters. I just see us going down a slippery slope to losing more freedom of choice. IMO, this will have virtually no effect on salt intake because people can add salt to their food easily and they will if they think the food needs it to taste better. It is why there is a salt shaker on nearly ever table in every home to enhance the taste of the food eaten there. Besides, there are plenty of low sodium foods currently available if one wants to restrict sodium intake. Heck, you can even buy low sodium salt! Also, you can order your food in most non-fast food restaurants with low, or no, sodium.

[QUOTE=debro;2208156]But New Yorkers are generally well educated and know their nutrition info better anyway … it’s the rest of the country that needs it.[/QUOTE]

New Yorkers have just lost their will to resist. :wink:

[quote=DrageMester;2208200]No, salt is [I]essential[/I] for you, but like with most other things, [I]too much[/I] salt is bad for you. :D[/quote]No, [I]sodium[/I] is essential for you. Salt (as in sodium chloride) is only one form of sodium intake; which unfortunately has parallel properties as a taste enhancer. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=UTR;2208215]What is next? Will he target McDonald’s as being as bad as the cigarette companies?[/quote]Well that [I]would[/I] be ridiculous.

[quote=UTR;2208215]IMO, these politicians need to get out of people’s personal lives and quit being our baby sitters. I just see us going down a slippery slope to losing more freedom of choice.[/quote]But what has this got to do with limiting the salt content of pre-processed food?

Well, salt (NaCl) is not bad for you, rather it is essential, but too much salt is “bad”, particular in the face of certain pathologies such as hypertension, congestive heart failure, kidney disease and so on.
Humans do not utilize elemental sodium, potassium, chloride…but rather these exist in their ionized forms (from salts)…Na+, Cl-, K+ and so on
Drage has it right.

I don’t think there’s any argument that too many people in the US ingest exceessive salt, but then Americans, as well as plenty of other affluent people ingest too much of a lot of stuff.

I’ve forgotten name of the US Congressional Rep who basically said in response to pending litigation re: obesity,
“It’s not Sarah Lee’s fault that you’re fat”

If we’re going to ban or ration something…how about tobacco?
We all know why…taxes, taxes, and then there’s taxes.

UTR
I am kind of mixed on MAYOR BLOOMBERG on the one hand
he did go to ISRAEL to support their postion on invading the
GAZA SRTIP . However he wants to dictate how much salt
you can eat?. In my opinion he’s kind of lost it?
ZAP.:bigsmile::iagree:

what has me annoyed at Bloomberg is his constant attempts to SUE gunmakers for dammages resulting from the INTENTIONAL MISUSE
of their products.

And the fact that he has specifically been prohibited from persuing those suits by both legislation and court decisions seems to be irrelevant to him.

HE is as much a criminal for his persistant Barratry as the criminals who shoot people are.

HE is one of the people that seems to think that further regulation against law abiding people will curb the actions of those that break the laws anyway.

AD

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2208282]Well that [I]would[/I] be ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

It is coming. Many of the do-gooder politicians have been putting their cross hairs on fast food for years.

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2208282]But what has this got to do with limiting the salt content of pre-processed food?[/QUOTE]

If we are FORCED to buy only low sodium food then it has a lot to do with our personal freedom. Even if they pass it, this won’t do anything to curb salt consumption as there is a salt shaker on every restaurant table, salt packets are handed out at fast food restaurants and salt shakers are in every home. When the government wants to ration something as basic as salt then they must feel free to ration anything they deem necessary. Gov. Paterson wants an 18% sales tax on non-diet soda. He says he wants to fight obesity. I say he is just looking for another way to pull money out of our wallets.

I want to keep my right to have bad habits. The logic some are using to justify this can also be used to justify regulating or preventing them from doing numerous things they enjoy too. We ALL have bad habits. Why not just stop the sale of red meat? It is bad for you and the cows fart methane, a nasty greenhouse gas according to AlGore. That makes more sense than limiting the salt content of food. These politicians just want to chip away at our freedoms slowly and stealthily so they get away with it without a public backlash. This is just another example of them doing this and claiming it is for our own good. I prefer to decide for myself, with consultation with my doctor, what level of salt intake is good for me. Besides, many people have no issue with salt consumption as it doesn’t affect them negatively. Here’s a link looking at the effects of sodium consumption: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9401E7DA1039F931A15756C0A960958260

zap em & Allan,

I think Bloomberg is a self absorbed billionaire that believes he knows what is best for the [I][B]subjects[/B][/I] he oversees. All the way down to how much salt they consume! He needs to go away now and and be tended by his paid for court of jesters. The job has gone to his head and NYC needs a mayor with some common sense that doesn’t want to be their nanny.

This mayor seems to have loads of common sense. The freedom to choose angle just wont wash. I have the right to eat fast foods if i want to. Why should i be deprived of fast food because to my taste it contains to much salt? I can’t remove that salt, while surely you can add it.

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2208399]This mayor seems to have loads of common sense. The freedom to choose angle just wont wash. I have the right to eat fast foods if i want to. Why should i be deprived of fast food because to my taste it contains to much salt? I can’t remove that salt, while surely you can add it.[/QUOTE]

Most people like the higher salt content so McDonald’s and many, many other food manufacturers and restaurants know this and therefore cater to their target market. If most people wanted the choice of putting on salt then they would cater to those people. If I am in my vehicle and go to a drive through at a fast food place I want salt already on my french fries and burger. I don’t want to have to mess with opening a packet, sprinkling it on only the top layer of fries and spilling it inside my truck. Then peeling back the buns on a Big Mac and trying to apply salt without creating a mess. I don’t know anyone that would want to do these exercises all the time and nearly everyone I know wants their fries salted like crazy. If that rare person really wants no salt on their fries they can custom order it just like they can with the sandwiches. They just have to be willing to wait for their food. I worked at McDonald’s through high school and this was an option in their restaurants back in the 1970s as it is today. Also, many foods aren’t prepared in a manner that salt can be easily added after they are served. Some that immediately come to mind are burritos, tacos, gyros etc. where the salt can’t be homogeneously added after purchase for the best flavor enhancement.

The overwhelming majority of people like salt on their food. It is why the restaurants and food manufacturers put it in there. Those few people that don’t want salt have options to buy low sodium food at the grocery store or to special order their food at restaurants. I just don’t see the need to inconvenience the overwhelming majority for a few that already have options for low sodium food. This will require food manufacturers to create low sodium food for NYC alone and this will just increase the cost of food sold there. Especially in grocery stores. This is just a bad idea all around, IMO, and will do virtually nothing to curb salt intake. The US Constitution doesn’t guarantee an unalienable right to buy a low sodium burrito at Taco Bell so the government needs to get their nose out of the matter, IMHO. :wink:

I agree with Dee, make the food companies take the salt out and let the consumer decide if they need it or not. But that’s too logical, and with the American mindset there would no longer be anyone left to blame but ourselves. The decision to lead a healthy or unhealthy lifestyle lies squarely on each of our own shoulders.

[quote=UTR;2208379]It is coming. Many of the do-gooder politicians have been putting their cross hairs on fast food for years.[/quote]I hope you’ll notice that what I referred to as “ridiculous”, would be equating McDonalds with cigarette companies.

[quote=UTR;2208379]If we are FORCED to buy only low sodium food then it has a lot to do with our personal freedom.[/quote]No it hasn’t. As has already been pointed out, it has added to your choices by making it possible to add extra if you desire.

[quote=UTR;2208379]Even if they pass it, this won’t do anything to curb salt consumption as there is a salt shaker on every restaurant table, salt packets are handed out at fast food restaurants and salt shakers are in every home. When the government wants to ration something as basic as salt then they must feel free to ration anything they deem necessary.[/quote]I honestly fail to see the logic of your argument. No-one is saying that salt shakers should be removed from restaurant tables, packets from McDonalds, or wherever. Salt is not being banned: you are free to add as much extra salt as you see fit, if you want to. That’s what I would call a choice. Setting a limit of salt content in manufactured food, as Dee says, give you the choice to add extra, or not. Having it pre-added, takes away that choice for people wanting to have a lower intake.

Again, setting a minimum value for sodium levels does not remove your choice to indulge in your “bad habits” if you wish. But conjuring up ridiculous scenarios of banning salt, meat, and McDonalds shows you probably just have an intrinsic suspicion of all state interference rather than a valid argument about limiting choice.

Your country leads the world in disease control and prevention. I can’t understand why you’re not proud of that.

[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2208413]I agree with Dee, make the food companies take the salt out and let the consumer decide if they need it or not. But that’s too logical, and with the American mindset there would no longer be anyone left to blame but ourselves. The decision to lead a healthy or unhealthy lifestyle lies squarely on each of our own shoulders.[/QUOTE]

What about the food companies freedom to put salt in their food to satisfy their market and promote the sales of their products? Whether the salt comes from your own shaker or applied by the manufacturer, it is still salt. Is salt now the new nicotine? There are much bigger fish to fry than this silly little pipsqueak one.

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2208464]I hope you’ll notice that what I referred to as “ridiculous”, would be equating McDonalds with cigarette companies.[/QUOTE]

Here are few municipalities that are after fast food restaurants:

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/sep/10/local/me-fastfood10
http://www.foodfacts.info/blog/labels/regulation.html

A Google search will gives you weeks of reading material.

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2208464]No it hasn’t. As has already been pointed out, it has added to your choices by making it possible to add extra if you desire.[/QUOTE]

What about our choice to buy food with salt already added? One choice is just as legitimate, and important, as another. What are the makers of Salt and Vinegar potato chips supposed to do? Just sell Vinegar potato chips? Will we all have to put the salt on the rims of our Margarita glasses after the drink is served to us? Just how silly do we get with this bright idea?

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2208464]I honestly fail to see the logic of your argument. No-one is saying that salt shakers should be removed from restaurant tables, packets from McDonalds, or wherever. Salt is not being banned: you are free to add as much extra salt as you see fit, if you want to. That’s what I would call a choice. Setting a limit of salt content in manufactured food, as Dee says, give you the choice to add extra, or not. Having it pre-added, takes away that choice for people wanting to have a lower intake.[/QUOTE]

If salt isn’t being banned and it will still be used by the overwhelming majority of people, then why force foods to be made without salt or a little salt? This is just “Rube Goldberg” legislation. It is a silly, over the top, way to attempt to get people to use less salt. If salt is so bad that we need this law then just ban it and make it a regulated substance like prescription drugs. This whole idea is just government control running a muck.

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2208464]Again, setting a minimum value for sodium levels does not remove your choice to indulge in your “bad habits” if you wish. But conjuring up ridiculous scenarios of banning salt, meat, and McDonalds shows you probably just have an intrinsic suspicion of all state interference rather than a valid argument about limiting choice.[/QUOTE]

Mandating salt levels in food is just plain crazy. It solves NOTHING. It just creates more government bureaucracy and expense, IMO. Once again, tell me what happens to Salt and Vinegar potato chips under this law? This question really shows the craziness of this idea.

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2208464]Your country leads the world in disease control and prevention. I can’t understand why you’re not proud of that.[/QUOTE]

… and this is in spite of us not regulating the salt content of our food. How did that happen? :wink: